The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any Lotus owners in Duluth, MN?

I am going there for work and was considering driving the Lotus up there from Ohio.

:shift:

·
Registered
782 Posts
not quite in Duluth

I'm not in Duluth but am probably on your way if coming from Ohio. Lots of good Lotus roads up here. Don't do it if you're staying past October as the road salt and the Elise will not get along ( and Wisconsin LOVES it's road salt.) Fall colors in late September and early October will make for a spectacular driving experience and the traffic volumes are very low...Dave

·
Registered
524 Posts
Swede,

Which Lotus do you own?

Lotus Owners Oftha North (LOON) is based in the Twin Cities, about 3 hours south of Duluth.

There is one fellow with an older Esprit Turbo in Duluth, but I'd have to dig to find his name. He posted a few times on *********.com looking for a shop that could work on the car. Other than that he was never active. I may be able to find him in an old thread.

In general, there's a pretty good car crowd in Duluth. Maybe not a herd of Lotus, but car guys with whom you could run. I'll try to scrounge up some contacts for you.

Tim Engel
LOON Membership Secretary

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Gent's.

Will try to make it up there in the end of September.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I have family there and didn't see any Lotus' when I was there last time.
But it is a nice small city.

Most road country were on a grid layout - but Duluth is on the side of hill.
I have found that most port towns are on a hill though.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I've seen a yellow Elise there occasionally, strangely coinciding with when I'm visiting. Never any others.

Oh boy, sounds like a fun drive. I'd be tempted to head up thru Mackinac and across the UP. Don't miss checking out Superior, WI as long as you're in Duluth. Some interesting areas to explore.

Have fun!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I as a remote posibility was considering to relocate to the area, where should I plan on looking?

Duluth?

Superior?

Anywhere else?

·
Registered
552 Posts
If I as a remote posibility was considering to relocate to the area, where should I plan on looking?
Superior is pretty rundown, a cheaper alternative to Duluth. Duluth itself is pretty rundown in many areas, altho there are nicer areas too. There's 3 areas in which I'd consider buying:

1. Along London Road, on the shore of Superior. Listening to the lake at night is hypnotic, and there's only so much shoreline to be had. Rocky shoreline. Busy road, but that's life. The east end of Duluth appears to be where the money is.

2. Minnesota Point, across the Lift Bridge is nice. Big sandy beach, unfortunately the water is still way too cold even in summer.

3. Houses perched on the hills overlooking the city. Some of these places have spectacular views.

Drive around, just see what you like, or ask locals where the best (or worst) parts of town are, see if they say anything else. There are lots of smaller towns around, some nice (Two Harbors), some scary. You better like winter if you consider Duluth, but you're a Swede, it's wired into you. ;)

Report back what you think of the place if you can. Duluth is an odd place, seems to polarize people. There's a faded glory, some underlying spirit that I really like. And the place smells like cereal. Living there long-term might wear thin, not sure.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well we are driving up to Duluth next week to check it out as far as neighborhods and schools. I made it up there a few weeks ago and actually liked what I saw.

Unfortunatelly no Lotus drive up there yet, we are going in a Suburban this time :eek:

No decision made yet but it is a deffinit posibility that we relocate to there this winter.

Not sure if will be keeping the Lotus for up there, time will tell. I guess there are some really nice roads during the summer that would be nice to drive.

:shift:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts