The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its to cool the supercharger right? can you track an exige without the roof and keep engine cool?

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Yes the exige S top is meant to funnel the air to the factory intercooler. There are two versions, half and full, but they both work about the same due to the small opening the air must go through.

I have tracked the car fine without a roof on a cold day. I have also tracked it without the roof on a warmer day, but that was after I had installed the side scoops so I can't say if it would have been acceptable or not.

That being said if you are just doing a track day for fun, it doesn't realllly matter how much air is getting to your intercooler right? The engine just makes less power, nothing will break. It has very little effect on engine cooling.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea just wanted to make sure no engine issues.. just for fun track days..

best side scoops to install for cooling..?

·
Registered
2,657 Posts

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
Yes the exige S top is meant to funnel the air to the factory intercooler. There are two versions, half and full, but they both work about the same due to the small opening the air must go through.

I have tracked the car fine without a roof on a cold day. I have also tracked it without the roof on a warmer day, but that was after I had installed the side scoops so I can't say if it would have been acceptable or not.

That being said if you are just doing a track day for fun, it doesn't realllly matter how much air is getting to your intercooler right? The engine just makes less power, nothing will break. It has very little effect on engine cooling.
A good 1/4 inch of the lip of the opening of the vent on the roll hoop can be easily trimmed with a dremel, effectively increasing the opening considerably.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You don't need any bigger side scoops for cooling, at least not in the north east, and I never had any trouble when stock down south. They are mostly for looks, or if you wanted to add more space for 4" ducts like I have.

If you wanted them anyways for looks I like dealing with GRP best: https://www.gregsraceparts.com/coll...s-for-elise-exige-04-11?variant=1307311439919
definitely some very hot track days at vir and summit in summer.. think itd be ok? I want an exige again i think, but miss the open top tracking from my boxster spyder

are the stock side scoops functional? i cant remember from my last exige

·
Registered
339 Posts
are the stock side scoops functional? i cant remember from my last exige
Only to allow air into the engine compartment. If you want to force it through the intercooler, then you'd have to buy a new shroud, pipes, scoops, etc.

Cheers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts