The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started the process of changing the air filter. Jacked up the car, took 4 lug nuts off. Grabbed the wheel, expected it to come right off, but no, it's rock solid. Is the center cap holding it in?? I can rotate the center cap, but it doesn't come off. I don't want to damage it, so haven't tried grabbing it with pliers or anything like that. So, how do I remove the wheel?
Thanks,

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,738 Posts
Just give the bottom of the tire/wheel a good hit with your hand or a board and a rubber mallet. It is just stuck to the hub. It is normal.

·
He's on fire!
3,255 Posts
Its been glued on by rust. I'd recommend punching the sidewall of the tire and being ready for the release.

Reactions: Darren Donovan

·
`08 Elise-SC-220
519 Posts
Avoid the impulse to remove the rust now with Emory or sandpaper. You want that hub to fit into the wheel as closely as possible. Instead, use OSPHO or other metal prep acid and fine steel wool. Then, apply an anti-seize like Perma-Tex aluminum paste or my favorite, Copper-Slip which seems to resist the soap and water from washings better. Next time, the wheels will come right off.

P.S. A good fiberglass shop can fix that like new!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Avoid the impulse to remove the rust now with Emory or sandpaper. You want that hub to fit into the wheel as closely as possible. Instead, use OSPHO or other metal prep acid and fine steel wool. Then, apply an anti-seize like Perma-Tex aluminum paste or my favorite, Copper-Slip which seems to resist the soap and water from washings better. Next time, the wheels will come right off.

P.S. A good fiberglass shop can fix that like new!
I don't have any of that stuff on hand, and want the job completed tonight. Would WD40 do?
Thanks,

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Anything will do, its not the space shuttle and it literally does not matter if your wheels are hub centric or not despite what you will read on forums. You do want to keep it clean and keep all the mating surfaces clean to keep the wheels square to the axle.

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
756 Posts
You're looking at the result of galvanic chemistry in a near-perfect environment for it. The wheel is light alloy. The hub is ferrous. Rust takes up more volume than the steel it used to be. So does aluminum oxide.

The fix is to create a galvanic barrier between the dissimilar metals. I would recommend silver-colored anti seize (for light alloy to ferrous metal joints) as a first choice. If it rubs off too easily, you can smear a little wheel bearing grease over it to make a better water barrier.

Copper anti seize is better than nothing, but the copper can still be corrosive to the aluminum alloy, so not as good a choice as the aviation Permatex.

That said, I've made do with a light smear of wheel bearing grease. Nearly anything oily will keep the dissimilar metals out of direct contact and will stop the corrosion.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You're looking at the result of galvanic chemistry in a near-perfect environment for it. The wheel is light alloy. The hub is ferrous. Rust takes up more volume than the steel it used to be. So does aluminum oxide.

The fix is to create a galvanic barrier between the dissimilar metals. I would recommend silver-colored anti seize (for light alloy to ferrous metal joints) as a first choice. If it rubs off too easily, you can smear a little wheel bearing grease over it to make a better water barrier.

Copper anti seize is better than nothing, but the copper can still be corrosive to the aluminum alloy, so not as good a choice as the aviation Permatex.

That said, I've made do with a light smear of wheel bearing grease. Nearly anything oily will keep the dissimilar metals out of direct contact and will stop the corrosion.
Either one of these will work?
Thanks!

https://www.pepboys.com/search/?text=anti+seize

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I get 'your search returned no results' from Pep Boys. This is the kind of stuff I generally use with steel fasteners in aluminum, etc: https://www.acehardware.com/departments/automotive-rv-and-marine/fluids-and-lubrication/anti-seize-lubricants/87644?x429=true I know that Advance and Napa carry the stuff, wouldn't be surprised if Manny, Moe, and Jack did too.
That's odd that the page didn't load for you. Anyways, the Pep Boys page showed exactly what you recommended.
Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts