The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep hearing people say that it is a blaupunkt mp3 player...does this imply it has a CD player in that plays mp3 files recorded on CDR???...it does have a regular CD player in it right?(ie-its not one of those Ipod things is it?)

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
It can play CDs, CD-Rs, and CDs with MP3s on them.

It also has a memory card slot for playing MP3s from that.

It also has aux inputs for external players.

This is for the Touring Pack stereo.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Haven't seen that it takes memory cards.

Link:

Crutchfield

What I want to know is how it sounds. It's only 4x16 RMS watts.

Blaupunkt is known for it's good construction, but it's priced pretty dang high.

Randy,

I would like to help moderate the Stereo forum for the Elise in the future. I'm sure I'll tweak mine.... Gotta have some tunes while I wash and wax the Elise.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Cool, if it accepts MMC cards, AND reads mp3's from them, then that's one of the best unlisted features of the unit. The touring pack gets better and better.

Just checked the manual...right on!

MMC mode You can use this device to play MP3
files from an MMC (MultiMedia Card)as used in many portable MP3 playersor mobile telephones (e.g. SiemensSL45). You can write MP3 music tracks to the MMCs that you want to use with this device with the help of the Velocity MMC Driver 01 or another MMC read/write device and your PC.

Note:

Please note that when you prepare theMMC, you must observe the directory structure rules as described in the “MP3 mode” chapter. The format of the MMC must be “FAT16”.

Inserting/removing an MMC

You can read about how to insert or remove an MMC in the section entitled “Inserting the KeyCard” or “Removing
the KeyCard” in the “Theft protection” chapter.
Switching to MMC mode To start playing an inserted MMC,
keep pressing the SOURCE button; until MMC mode is displayed.

Note:
All the MP3-mode functions can also be
used in MMC mode. For further details,
please refer to the chapter entitled “MP3
mode”.

·
Registered
592 Posts
The MMC card is actually used as part of the radio security system. After loss of power the MMC card is the "key" to reactivate the radio. Kind of like the codes you typically punch into the radio after removal of battery power.

I don't really see much use for MMC cards for holding MP3's. A CD-R holds 700 MB and costs pennies. MMC cards seem to be about $35 for 128K and the largest I can find is 512K and cost over $100 :confused:

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
But if you are like me and have them just laying around from other devices, then it makes sense.

I think you meant megs, not k?

64megs now $27. 128megs for $36. Not incredibly cheap. And silly in terms of cost/capacity compared to CDRs.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I got my 512M SD from Amazon for $95
Also, just saw ad for 1G SD for $159 at Fry's

Prices will only drop.

Randy Chase said:

64megs now $27. 128megs for $36. Not incredibly cheap. And silly in terms of cost/capacity compared to CDRs.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Cost aside, reusable memory sticks are less convenient than CD-R all around.

First, you have to remember to bring the MMC card back out of the car into the house.. you can't just burn new music when the mood strikes. Then you have to remember not to leave it next to your keyboard when you go out for a drive.

Also, the "old" CD-R discs that have already been played out can rattle around somewhere in the car for proper aging, and months latter you may again want to hear that ABBA remix after all.

A single CD-R holds about eight nice-quality (192kbps) MP3 albums. That's enough for a long road trip or large shuffle. To get an MMC card that's bigger you'd have to spend $150 or so.

Of course, nobody cries over a lost/damaged CD-R, but a 1GB card lost on the track would hurt your feelings.

And last, on my system, it's much faster to burn a CD-R than it is to write a full 1GB MMC card.

The cost of CD-Rs is so absurd that even managing CD-RWs is pointless as well.

And even if I didn't want to hear MP3 artifacts, I'd still burn my music onto super-high quality CD-R at 320kbps or so just to get the track names up on the display -- something you can't do with real CDs.

MP3 CD-Rs are really a cool media for in-dash players, and Lotus could have gone much cheaper than the Blaupunkt unit. I'm excited.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
For anyone that wants to play with the memory card feature, I have a handful of worthless small 16MB cards I'd be happy to give away at some Club111 meet or something.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
My thought on this was to keep an "essential music" card installed in there. Use the CD-Rs for primary, but it would be nice to have that extra backup. Like carrying a small gas tank.

·
Registered
389 Posts
How do we get mp3 files onto the card - just as simple as drag and drop? If so, sounds great. :)

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
You can get the full pdf manual at

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1864

To copy to the memory sticks is a simple drag and drop.

Some computers (HP pavilion one of them) have memory card readers already built in. If yours doen't, you can buy an adapter that plugs to your USB 2.0. If you have the older USB 1.0 the transfer will be way too slow, it will work but it will take forever.

Myself, I like the memory stick better than CD's, granted, CD's are cost effective, but memory sticks are volume effective.

Plus if you use the memory cards you'll keep dust away from the contacts after removing the security key card :)

I just hope that Lotus have plenty of the Los Angeles MP72 unit, Blaupunkt now has a newer MP74 but it's the same with the MMC and the security card removed.

edit link from psc to here.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Not to overstate the obvious, but use the Aux input, for the price of one 1meg MMC card buy a used ipod (or refurbished from apple itself) and have 10G of music rattling around your car.
Just a thought.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I hear rumor that someone is working on an aftermarket Elise Ipod kit with mounting bracket, cables, etc.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Miguel said:
Plus if you use the memory cards you'll keep dust away from the contacts after removing the security key card :)
Isn't that what the faceplate is for? ;)
Originally posted by babak
Not to overstate the obvious, but use the Aux input, for the price of one 1meg MMC card buy a used ipod (or refurbished from apple itself) and have 10G of music rattling around your car.
Just a thought.
Not to overstate the obvious, but use virtually-free blank CDs. No Aux cable to buy, no iPod to buy, no worrying about having a charged battery, no mounting brackets/cables to buy, no more stuff to clutter the beautifully simple Elise interior...
Just a thought. ;)

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
If, like me, you have an MP3 player that uses MMC (I use SD) cards, then it will be convenient to be able to swap back and forth between units, I would think.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Dan said:
Isn't that what the faceplate is for? ;)

Not to overstate the obvious, but use virtually-free blank CDs. No Aux cable to buy, no iPod to buy, no worrying about having a charged battery, no mounting brackets/cables to buy, no more stuff to clutter the beautifully simple Elise interior...
Just a thought. ;)
I used to think that, but ever since I got my ipod mounted in my car I've enjoyed my music collection more. It's nice to have whatever my mood fancies at my fingertips.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts