The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK,

This guy in a bone stock honda pilot mini SUV, 0-60 of approximately nine seconds, (Edmunds test) is next to me at a light and starts revving his engine, I look over and he motions that he wants to race me. I laugh and shake my head. My car is 4.1 0-60, not even remotely close.

Then the light turns, and we are both sitting there waiting for the other to go, he gives in and goes first. I stay a car-length behind him, we slowly go up to the speed limit, then he starts backing off trying to get me in front of him so he can gun it and goad me on. He finally gives up and goes away.

So post your stories of snubbing idiots trying to race, I bet there are some good ones! No stories of actual races on roads, just declined challenges.

gm

·
Registered
425 Posts
Just after the cousin and I finished painting my car in CT.. we're driving around where he lives.. some chick in a suv/jeep type thing is next to us reving trying to get me to race doing the same exact thing... some people I swear..

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
This is the best one. How to get a SRT-4 to take off..

<embed src="http://videos.streetfire.net/vidiac.swf?video=7c58a4ce-3f84-4ded-8de3-996d003b920f" width="428" height="352" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed><br/><a href="http://videos.streetfire.net/video/how-to-get-a-SRT4-to-take_125235.htm?ref=ec8edccb-f09c-4c6b-b066-9953017f1448">how+to+get+a+SRT-4+to+take+off%0d%0a3+beeps+and+he+is+</a>

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
A ricer with small diameter wheels and big wide tires tried to get me to race my M100. In a 25 mph zone due to proximity of 2 churches, elementary school, fire station, library and playground. He left me in the dust. Go figure.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Just after the cousin and I finished painting my car in CT.. we're driving around where he lives.. some chick in a suv/jeep type thing is next to us reving trying to get me to race doing the same exact thing... some people I swear..
If it was an SRT-8 Cherokee (what RichS was describing), it probably would have beaten you. I test drove one one time. They really are ridiculously fast. Someone here has one (I saw in a post recently).

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I was on the way home. some douche pulled up next to me and was trying to goad me on. I pull into the gas station for gas and some water. I walk into the store. I walk out of the store. douche is next to my car getting ready to do something stupid.

I walk over, he is drunk, belligerent, and behind the wheel of a car. I break wind really loud - and it was a nasty one from the Ibuprofen I took earlier. He yells at me for being disgusting.

I get in my car and drive away (away from my original destination).

Welcome to the Ghetto of Phoenix.

·
Registered
417 Posts
If it was an SRT-8 Cherokee (what RichS was describing), it probably would have beaten you. I test drove one one time. They really are ridiculously fast. Someone here has one (I saw in a post recently).
It is very fast. I almost never do hard launches, except couple of times when I was trying new software. Let me tell you, it's scary:eek:
It's hard to beat 0-60, unless other driver knows how to launch. It rans 0-60 4.5-4.8sec stock all day long, no special skills required

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I pulled up to a stoplight next to Gov. Schwarzenegger, Saturday on Sunset Blvd. He was in a 911 Turbo Cab. He took off from the light like a bat out of hell. Unfortunately, I was in my Range Rover and not my Exige. I don't EVER race anyone at stoplights, but I would've made an exception in this case had I been in the Lotus.

:D

·
Premium Member
12,195 Posts
Since I posted about the dipsh&t Mustang driver in http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/nj-fl-back-twice-58565/

I made another trip to FL & back.

This time it was a Porsche Turbo trying to show off in traffic.

June: guy in AM v8 vantage (?) tries to play on Rt 287. I downshift to 5th (could've used 4th), give it some pedal and he can't catch me.(????)

Not wanting to speed much and seeing other circumstances, I get off throttle and pull into ctr lane @ speed limit.

Being a loser in at least 2 senses of the term, he goes blasting by in lh lane....just a bit late to notice Rt 78 traffic joining us FROM THE LEFT LANE.

jams brakes on.....look ahead much??

Last w/e, guy - not a kid - in Mustang tries to provoke me on approach to Tappan Zee....lots of traffic. I do not bite. He takes off, weaving in and out, taking chances with others' well being.

I stay in lh lane, best for small cars, and sure enough, we get to toll plaza simutaneously, proving a long-held theory that this crap isn't worth it in traffic.

WHY do these guys never have EZPass?? I leave before him, taking the exit right after plaza. Of course, he comes blasting past from (way) behind.

oooooh, I'm so impressed. Be still, my heart.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I was in my 86 944T in 110 fwy and a range rover thought because my car looked old he could just go around me and cut in front. We were already doing 80mph. on a fairly open fwy, I'd let him get next to me and when he'd try to get in front of me I'd just blip the throttle and I'd be doing 100 and just let off back to 80. I wasn't really racing simply because it is not cool, but this ass was on my rear bumper trying to prove something, and no I was not in the fast lane so he had a bone to pick. My 944 is upgraded to 320 hp and weighs 2600 lbs. it is my track car. Not a real race induced story, but just dealing with another road jackass in a no performance vehicle.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I know someone in Toronto who has an SRT-8 Cherokee, and I raced her off a light once in my stock Elise. She demolished me, it was completely ridiculous and obscene, it wasn't even a contest at all.

I borrowed it the next day and some guy on a Kawasaki Ninja almost wrecked because he had no idea I was hanging right with him off another light. I had 3 other people in the car.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I recently did a 550 mile road trip in my newly acquired Elise and I am amazed at how many people have something to prove to someone driving a Lotus. While I like to drive above the speed limit I hate tickets. So, the technique I developed on the trip was to tease people acting stupid by showing them a spurt of speed and then getting them to haul off down the road where I can use them as radar bait. While merging on to south I81 I wound up in front of two identical silver Priuses, or to be correct Toyota Prius cars (after being corrected for calling Lotus cars Lotii or Lotuses). To my astonishment one hit the gas and passed me and then the other took off and went around. I followed right along about 20 car lengths behind, probably around 85-90. As we passed the next interchange I looked up the ramp and saw a trooper. I backed down to 65 in a second but Priuses didn't see him. The Trooper got them both in a single maneuver.
I waved as I went by. :popcorn:
Experience and treachery will overcome youth and skill every time. :nanner:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Classic and funny.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eQzoxo6_AzQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eQzoxo6_AzQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

·
shay2nak
25,171 Posts
I was on the way home. some douche pulled up next to me and was trying to goad me on. I pull into the gas station for gas and some water. I walk into the store. I walk out of the store. douche is next to my car getting ready to do something stupid.

I walk over, he is drunk, belligerent, and behind the wheel of a car. I break wind really loud - and it was a nasty one from the Ibuprofen I took earlier. He yells at me for being disgusting.

I get in my car and drive away (away from my original destination).

Welcome to the Ghetto of Phoenix.
haha! ...the dude was driving drunk? Did you alert da popos?

I got my ass stomped by some lady in a SRT-8 Charger. I'm always on the gas at a light, but what I wouldn't give for some torque after seeing that.
LOL...oh my lord...ban him! :p

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I get goaded a lot at stop lights by all sorts of cars, but I think some people don't necessarily want to race as much as they just want to watch you pull away quickly.
Why do people watch drag racing - they just want to see a car go quickly.

Sometimes I oblige, sometimes not.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Well I'm in Sunset Hills, with my Pagani Zonda F, full upgrades, and some guy in a McLaren SLR Pulls up and the "Outrun Challenge" Logo pops up on my screen. I press the down arrow and away we go. I smoke him in the first 12 seconds and I win the challenge hands down, winning 35,000 and a +12% Turbo Stat. :p

We should sticky this.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I had some kid in a neon try to race me from the stop light. I think I will in my M3 at the time. He's revving his engine and I just ignore him. A light turns green and he takes off. Well it was for the turn lane and he ends up running the red light. Luckily he didn't hit anybody but he sure looked stupid having a one man race.:thwack:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.