The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
as long as your ok... time for an exige s 240 ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
All I can say is glad you are okay.

another accident (no fault to you) so close to that possum. or was is a raccoon?

insurance will hopefully cover it and the replacement car.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
i needed a new front clam after hitting a suburban's tow hook (cosmetic only, no frame damage, not even radiator damage) and that was $19k, will all this added, you're in line for a new car
That's insane (not you, the bill).

I had a brand new front clam painted and installed with all the labor for removal and fitting for $6000!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Difference between CA and Elsewhere

That's insane (not you, the bill).

I had a brand new front clam painted and installed with all the labor for removal and fitting for $6000!
That's the different between CA and other places. My rear clam replacement was close to $17k.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
That's the different between CA and other places. My rear clam replacement was close to $17k.
so they charge an extra $10k for shipping and handling??

the parts are around $5k right? plus paint and labor to install.

So what can explain such a large price discrepancy?

people remove and reinstall clams all the time for less than $10k right?

·
Registered
6,037 Posts

This isn't the first time I've heard of that kind of cost in Cali. The insurance companies must pay it, I guess.:shrug:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sure a giant 4 foot piece of aluminum flying at you at 60mph only causing 750 in damage. Obviously you never been to a body shop before. Nor know anything about the real cost of repairs. A new windshield any car is 300 dollars at cheapest cost, new front bumper is 600 mounted and painted, rear quarter damage umm that's 1500 at least on a regular car. How does that equal 750 in your fantasy land???

Aside from this it's sad that someone dropped a giant sheet of aluminum on the road and didn't notice. We are all very lucky that this did not kill someone.
I just replaced my windshiled in my 2002 Toyota MR2 a year ago. It was $130.00 installed and I didnt shop the price. I guess that was a good deal.

Dominick

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
how close were you driving to the suburban? I always worry about this type of crap on the highways.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Gumball 3000 stickers? LOL!
He wasn't IN the Gumball...he just participated in the send off show. There's video proof that he didn't get a timeslip (like half of the other cars in the SF show).

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/A5vUU8XQvw4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/A5vUU8XQvw4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

He's at 5:00 into it.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Crap I feel very bad for you! So many bad things do happen lately to many people I know.
Wow SF was way cooler than LA.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Bump for updates

·
Registered
538 Posts

I think if someone has to pay out of pocket, the body shop will try to work with the person in price so that the body shop can get the job as oppose to when the insurance company has to pay then every body shop I know will take advantage of that.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
I received and cashed my last check from the insurance company. Go Wawanesa! They did it right and gave me more than fair falue for the car. I cannot disclose the sum, but it was well above market value.

For the record, the vin number is SCCPC11185HL34464
Let's see how long it takes some poor bloke to pop up here saying "I bought this on ebay and the photos of the repaired car looked great! I pick it up next week!!1"

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Well you dont have to wait too long. Its already on COPART in their Sacramento yard.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
sale date is 11/11

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Aww I miss her.
If anyone here ends up picking her up PM me, I have something the insurance forgot.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts