The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forrum and have gone through the threads. Its time for tires and i was lookind at the new Dunlop Dirrezza Sport Z1 stars. the only close sizes i see are 205/50 and 235/45 which are both a half inch taller. seems like it might be a good compound for the street and occaissional track. any thoughts or experience with these?

mark V

·
Registered
7 Posts
I could be wrong, but i thought the Dirrezza's were more of a drifting tire?

Any reason as to why you're not sticking with the A048r's?

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Uh... because A048 tires suck? I know I'll never buy them again.

xtn

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Direzzas have gotten rave reveiws and good results in SCCA street tire class. The star specs are supposed to get up to temp faster. I'd run them but they don't have correct sizes for LSS wheels.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Get some bridgestone RE-101's much better then the Dunlops

·
Registered
894 Posts
I just buy a set of Direzza tire for my street wheel, but not installed yet. Cheap, and medium wear.

But with a treadwear of 300, I presume that they will not be very good on race track. It is probably a good tire for drifting, they don't want too much traction.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I had them before switching to the Bridge Stones. Here would be my review on the tires.

At autox they are very greasy when hot. If you duel drive the car on a fast track good luck your tires will feather and be gone after a 3 day weekend.

In the rain they are semi decent tires and offer good grip.

Over all tread-wear is decent for street duty even after being killed from a 3 day duel driven weekend.

In snow they will track well but still scare the crap out of you whenever you hit the brakes.

Once they get heat cycled so many times don't expect them to stop you very fast at an autox event. I did a heavy braking day not too long ago and the tires failed to stop many times.

Would I buy these tires again only if I had no other option and really really needed tires in the middle of no where. If I was to get a daily driven tire there are so many great options like.

Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R's 180AA rated, amazing tire for daily and track fun. But doesn't feel great when braking hard in the rain. But again what "high" performance tire feels good in the wet.

Falken Azeni 615's 200A rated, also a great track tire but when the tread wears down I would not even consider driving them in the rain. I think I pissed myself when they wore down to 4/32nds. But in the dry the tires get faster and faster till you cord them.

Yokohama S-Drives 300AA rated, a good daily tire for wet weather and don't wear down. But remember the higher the tread rating on the tire the worst it will feel on the track and they will die on autox.

BFG KDW2's 300AA rated some 400AA rated, great daily tire and amazing in the rain with good tread wear. Ironicly enough the only 300 tread rated tire that didn't die after being co-driven. Bad point due to lack of vertical tread they will do absolutely nothing in the snow or ice even if it's only a little bit.

Hankook RS-2 200A rated, a very under estimated tire I suspect because they are a Korean tire brand and new to the US market. In the dry they do well when cold but become greasy if your doing a lapping day after about 30 minutes. In the rain they feel comfortable but like the Bridge-stones slowing down quickly from highway speeds leaves much to be desired. Good point they are the cheapest option.

Note this is just endorsements and reviews for overall "street tires". Lets not even bother with bringing in the AO48's, Toyo 888's or other DOT race tires. While they are amazing and should be the only type of tires to run at the track I'm sure we are all looking for a tire that is comfortable on the street and can dabble on the track for a few laps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the feedback. I've decided to go with the 888s for the exige. The RE01s might go on the M-100 when tires are due.
Thanks again, mark V.

·
Registered
426 Posts
See I tried to put on different tires on the exige... I ordered them at Autoeurope when I had only 1000 miles on my car. Well 6k rolled around 1 track day and 1 autocross and I went in with still PLENTY of tire left! I had them put the Eagle F1 tires on there...

I drove about 5 miles... Called Tom. I HATED THEM! The Exige felt like my old 350z... the steering wheel wasn't the same, the lightness felt gone, it felt smoother of course but it felt like a prius or something... and not nearly as stable as the stock tires.

I went bad and got a brand new set of good ol' AO48's... Why? Cuz my 6k on my first pair are still plenty strong enough to go another 1-2k... 8k is fine with me as long as I enjoy my car when im driving it! Plus the A048's are not that expensive... not when my Eagle F1's on a previous car was like $315 for one rear tire... lol

I'm just warning ya...

and my exige is my primary DD... I put on 6000 miles on it in about two months on trips and what not... I drive the **** outta it ;)

·
Registered
181 Posts
I just buy a set of Direzza tire for my street wheel, but not installed yet. Cheap, and medium wear.

But with a treadwear of 300, I presume that they will not be very good on race track. It is probably a good tire for drifting, they don't want too much traction.
I think you're thinking of a different Direzza tire (the DZ101's?). The Direzza Sport Z1s are 200 treadwear.

You can't compare a Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R to a Potenza RE-92. While they have the same 'family' name, one's a awesome tire, and one is crap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts