The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my issue, I love the starspecs but obviously with the front wheels only being 5.5...things are problematic. I know a 205 tire is a bit wide and there'll be alot of side wall flex...but would it be possible to get the shorter sidewall and make up for it? I'm looking at a 205/55r16 for the front. I've seen a mixed bag of thoughts about it from what I've read and now I'm just looing for a specific answer to this one. Thanks!

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
i'm running em on base wheels/shocks. They are great with the big sidewalls. Everyone is doing this - running the 205's on the 5.5s. And they work great. With the big sidewalls. Not problematic IMO.

·
Registered
277 Posts
205/55-16 has got to rub. Even if not, it's a horrible idea since it's 5.5% larger in diameter than stock.

If you are going with Star Specs, get the 205/50-16. They are only 2.1% larger than stock.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
205/50/16 is what I run. It looks perfect on the wheel and as a benefit if you rubbed a curb or something the tire would take most of the rubbing before the wheel would hit.

5.5" wide wheel, 205 is only ~8". Hardly anything to worry about.

I used to run 315/75/16 tires on a truck I had with 6.5" wide wheels. Wasn't "ideal" but it wasn't dangerous or anything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts