The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
I'm thinking about picking up a set of Star Specs but I was wondering if I will have any problems mounting the fronts.

I'm looking at 205/50/16 for the front and 225/45/17 for the rear
anyone running these on base rims? The Dunlop site says the 205's should fit on anything from a 5.5-7 inch rim but I just want to make sure before I order them. Returning stuff to the States when you live north of the border is a giant PITA.

I've done a few searches and haven't found anything specific to base rims...but if there is a thread, just let me know.
thanks

·
Registered
417 Posts
Hi guys
I'm thinking about picking up a set of Star Specs but I was wondering if I will have any problems mounting the fronts.

I'm looking at 205/50/16 for the front and 225/45/17 for the rear
anyone running these on base rims? The Dunlop site says the 205's should fit on anything from a 5.5-7 inch rim but I just want to make sure before I order them. Returning stuff to the States when you live north of the border is a giant PITA.

I've done a few searches and haven't found anything specific to base rims...but if there is a thread, just let me know.
thanks
I just ordered them in 205/50/16 and 235/45/17 for the Exige S. Both Tirerack and Discounttiredirect said I shouldn't have any issues with fitment. Discount tire has to order them for you (waiting time up to 10 bus days) but is a bit cheaper.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I believe I was one of the first to try the 205/50/16 and 235/45/17 combo and it works great. I have the LSS wheels though so I can't comment if the 205/50 will work on the skinny base wheel.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I think I recal people are fitting 205s Bridgestones on the base wheels OK. I think the tire will be a bit pinched but ok. I would go 235/40 or 245/40 for the rears though for a better stagger match. I have 205/50 and 245/40 on my lss wheels with no probs. the 245s dont look too pinched on the 7.5" wheels.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool thanks for the info...
i'll look into a wider tire for the rears...maybe the 235's...
or maybe i should pony up and get a set of aftermarket wheels so i can get tires that fit with no problems....:coolnana:

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have Goodyears (205/50/16 front and 235/45/17 rear) on the base rims (5.5" and 7"). I love them and have had no problems at all with their performance, etc........the only minor issue is that it messes up my traction control (I turn it off anyway) in certain low speed situations........no biggie.

Anyway, the Goodyears were on clearance so I got an entire set of 4 for only $200! Otherwise, I would have gone with the Dunlops Direzza Star Specs as I have heard great things about them. My brother has the LSS rims and ended up going with the Dunlops; however, they still would have fit on my base rims.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I think I recal people are fitting 205s Bridgestones on the base wheels OK. I think the tire will be a bit pinched but ok. I would go 235/40 or 245/40 for the rears though for a better stagger match. I have 205/50 and 245/40 on my lss wheels with no probs. the 245s dont look too pinched on the 7.5" wheels.
205/50 and 235/45 actually maintain the stock stagger perfectly. 245/40/ is actually technically not the right size paired with a 205/50.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I'd like to see pics of this once installed...:D

·
Registered
933 Posts
I noticed that the Dunlop Star Spec 16" sizes are only R speed rated and the 17" sizes are ZR rated. Can these be mixed?

·
Registered
821 Posts
I noticed that the Dunlop Star Spec 16" sizes are only R speed rated and the 17" sizes are ZR rated. Can these be mixed?
How fast do you plan on going? :shrug:

·
Registered
933 Posts
These will be for the street. Already have track tires. I'd guess no more than 90-100 mph on the highway.

·
Registered
933 Posts
So going back to my original question - they can be mixed? My presumption is that because no one has said no - they are. :)

·
Registered
424 Posts
As long as you don't exceed the speed rating of the lower rated tire, I guess then you can mixed them.
Tire Rack sold me Goodyear GSD3's and the front were V rated while the rears where W rated.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts