The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here especially the guys who do trackwork have any experience with this product? Looks like a faster and better solution than using painters tape.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I have not but its a neat idea and looks better than painters tape...curious though how strong it is against marking from cones.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Good find!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Anyone know the effect of continued use on the Starshield

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
This is a great find! I went to their website Shield and it comes in clear as well as the graphite black. Hopefully someone doing a track day can try it and report back on how well it works.

They also have a video showing how to apply and remove it: e/Learning :: Shield

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
I've used the clear on my wife's minivan. It is good for bug gunk and gut control. That is about all I would trust it for. It is not a replacement for any clear bra product. I personally don't think it is as good as painter's tape but haven't used it during any track events.

I think of it only as "now I can just easily wash off the dead bug guts."

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
Just found this thread on another forum and they didn't like the Duplicolor product at all: MWerks Forums: Duplicolor Shield review. (spray on bra)

I found another product though here: AutoSKIN - Temporary Protective Coating for Vehicles. Another PAW Industries Product. that does offer rock chip protection and you peel it off in sheets afterward. It looks like you apply AutoSKIN with a paint roller AutoSKIN - Temporary Protective Coating for Vehicles. Another PAW Industries Product. and it is very thick, durable and can be left on for 4-6 weeks. It says it can adhere to vinyl graphics so I don't know what it would do with Starshield. Anyone tried this stuff?

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
That thread says pretty much what I have experienced although I didn't pressure wash it off. I just soap/water hand washed it off and I found no oily residue.

My current can is RainX Bug/Tar shield which I like a little better. It seems to spray more evenly.

Again, I would only use this for ease of washing off the bug guts.

YMMV

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I consider a clear bra a permanent solution, as it's not a 5 minute job, and it's also meant to stay on the car.

The 3M Painter's tape I found was definitely a little thick and can withstand following someone, but adhesive was very weak, didn't even last an entire day of driving. By the time you put 2 rolls on the front of the Lotus (1½ hours with a friend), it comes up to around $60 just for the product alone.

Going to get 2 cans of this temporary shield to see how it goes. At $20 a can, it works out slightly cheaper. But perhaps provide some form of protection.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
I think Elisetalk user Dave used this stuff on his yellow Elise and said it was a complete pain in the rear to remove because any little imperfection in the paint or starshield filled in with black. He recommended it for dark cars only.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I'm not sure I'd trust roll on or spray on products on the Starsheild. SDD sells some low tack vinyl rocker protection that is great for track and street use for about $20, I think, for 2 sets. It comes with a little extra material that can be used on the front impact areas too. I have used it for 3 track sessions and it has worked flawlessly and it looks so much better than the blue tape. I have also used 3M 471 Vinyl Tape. It is super tough, comes off clean and comes in lots of colors, but its kind of pricy at $30 for a 36 yard roll.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
I'm not sure I'd trust roll on or spray on products on the Starsheild. SDD sells some low tack vinyl rocker protection that is great for track and street use for about $20, I think, for 2 sets. It comes with a little extra material that can be used on the front impact areas too. I have used it for 3 track sessions and it has worked flawlessly and it looks so much better than the blue tape. I have also used 3M 471 Vinyl Tape. It is super tough, comes off clean and comes in lots of colors, but its kind of pricy at $30 for a 36 yard roll.
Yep, 2 pair for $25. And with the auto order form it's set up to undercharge on shipping. chuforiagraffix.com/store

1 - 15 of 15 Posts