The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Stilling doing God's work
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is some dust or dirt inside some of the pieces in the hood. It does not seem to want to come out with car cleaner. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Are you talking about an Elise/Exige or some other Lotus? Hood? Are you talking about the boot lid / engine cover?

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I'm going to guess that you are referring to the front clam, in the groove that runs along the front of the nose, in the area around the headlamps.

I would say, after a wash, carefully use an air gun to blow out the water and any accumulated dust/dirt. Carefully so as to avoid damaging the clear bra that is likely on the front clam. Alternatively, use a cotton swab.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
For an Elise. Around the hood near the light areas.
To be technical, the "hood" on an English car is the "roof" on an American car - aka "the soft top".

The front of the car is normally call the "bonnet" on an English car.

The trunk is the "boot".

As for the dirt, have you tried to wash it? If it's up front, could it be paint chips? Do you have the Starshield or equivalent?

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
You could try gently running a toothpick along the starshield, taking care not to lift the starshield... but really... They all do that. :tadts:

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Ah... you're talking about dirt trapped along the edge of the StarShield.

Gently use a wet toothpick or Q-tip along the edge while flushing with water.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I use a soft bristled tooth brush - brush along the edge, not across it. :shrug:

·
Registered
4,713 Posts

·
Stilling doing God's work
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Doesn't the bristles of the toothbrush scratch the car? Also, I picked up some Meguiars liquid car wax @ AutoZone. Is the car wax going to get stuck in the grooves too?

·
Super Moderator
2,845 Posts
Doesn't the bristles of the toothbrush scratch the car? Also, I picked up some Meguiars liquid car wax @ AutoZone. Is the car wax going to get stuck in the grooves too?
Not if you gently use a soft toothbrush with very little pressure. The wax will get stuck there too so just use the toothbrush again after you have polished off the wax from the rest of the car. If you are afraid of the toothbrush scratching, test it on an inconspicuous part of the paint on your car.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Different solution

I got tired of doing the toothbrush trick, so I just covered the edges of the Starshield with pinstriping tape.

Now when I wax the car, if I get edge residue build-up, I just pull off the old tape and put on a new one. 10 minutes to do.

Regards,
Wayne

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts