The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, 3 questions:

1) What's best for dusting?(yep mine's Black)
2) What's best for getting scuff marks off plastic?
3) Anything wrong with using a chamois cloth on any of the surfaces when I'm being obsessive in cleaning stray marks?

Thanks for the help,

Nomad

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Welcome to the looney bin...

Regarding dusting, I've gotten hooked on the California Car Duster. I bought mine at Sears for about ten bucks (on sale) -- works great. Be sure you follow the directions regarding prepping the duster -- it's got a lot of paraffin wax in it at first.

Not sure about getting scuff marks off. I'm sure somebody else will help on this one.

For fingerprints, etc try using any touch-up spray like Meguair's Final Inspection or Mist N' Wipe. I like to use disposable cotton wipes with this type of product to avoid any possible scratches. Try one of the forum sponsors, Meguair's or Griot's Garage for these types of things.

·
Registered
323 Posts
1. California Car Duster. Every day before breakfast.

2. It depends on how bad they are. einszett Cockpit Premium works well on light to medium scuffs.

3. Generally nothing wrong with that. My concern would be pickup up dust and dirt then using the chamois on the paint. As long as you rinse well, it shouldn't be a problem.

As Goose mentioned, a detail spray will become your best friend. It's great for fingerprints, smudges and light dust.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
As Nick implies, it is best to use the California Car Duster (particularly when new) when the car's surface isn't that hot and in the shade, otherwise you could get some wax from the bristles melting onto your paint and leaving streaks. A lot of people like to use it before leaving rather than when the come back for this reason, but you can use it whenever you want of course.

The common advice is to leave your duster on a pile of newspaper for a few days when it is new.

Use very light pressure. I just let the weight of the thing do the job.

·
Registered
543 Posts
nomad

goose and detailersparadise are spot on!! i don't have my elise yet, but my daily driver is a blue/black metallic, and my wife's daily driver is also black.

i must be a glutten for punishment, our elise will be starlight black, HT & std interior. and she'll be cover and garaged (daily driver will have to sit outside till i can swing a 4 post lift).

btw, did you get the standard interior?? if so, could you post photos?

thanks and good luck!
t. a.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all of the info!!
I have tan leather interior, so I don't think the pics will show you what you want. But, I really should get around to taking some good pics so I can set up my Avatar.

Nomad

·
Registered
640 Posts
For dusting I stole a box of my wifes Swiffer cloths. I've found these to be great for picking up the dust. I use the non-scented and ridged pattern variety (the ridges help prevent scratching in case there are any minute hard & sharp particles). I just lightly drag the Swiffer across the bodywork and let the static do it's work. Just watch out around the door locks and other metal areas, as I've received a few static shocks for my troubles-eek-

·
Registered
134 Posts
Dusting dark finishes

A company in Batavia, NY makes a product called tha Kozak Auto Drywash Cloth. It's a treated dust cloth used by most high-end body shops and detailers. I've used them for years. Their phone number is 716-343-8111.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Stan....
.....those pesky scuff marks on the door sill area.
Also marks on the plastic vents.
Is the detail spray that has been mentioned good for those areas?

Nomad

1 - 10 of 10 Posts