The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dy mag

Any body have more information about dy mag wheels , the are made in uk by dymag, supposedly great quality, light weight,

racing wheel I think there are 5 spoke come in black.

any US distributors or parts companies sell or attempting to sell

they look awesome,

the company website does not show a us retailer

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
I have a dymag formula 1 wheels that serves as my trash basket.

They make a part carbon fibre wheel for motorcycles that's really sweet and also dot approved. I wasn't aware they imported car wheels tho.
Chris

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dy mag

These wheels are super good looking and great quality,

some UK tuners are using them on the Elise, I have been told the MK1 elise is currently available but I do not know about the Fed Elise.

Is the us elise a MK2, or what type?

I know 111r, but what is MK1 /2

·
Registered
591 Posts
Kind of a Mk2. I think 50% new parts in the US model. It does not have the exact same wheel specifications front and back as the Mk2 111 or 111S. The offsets are different on the 111R/US model. There are additional differences between the 11R and the US models.

Greg

·
Registered
591 Posts
I don't believe you can effectively polish Magnesium wheels. I think they are coated and can corrode easily. As I recall they can corrode internally. I suppose you could polish and then coat them. Also, you would have to have a make sure they don't get too hot in the polishing process. They could catch fire:D Ok, highly unlikely, but if they did, what a fire!

Greg

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dymg

I have been emailing the dymag reps in europe
basically the current black dymag are made only in 15/16 inch
I guess for the MK1 elise old car. They are awsome wheel, Iwant them and the looks is the coolest. They said they would need to have an order for 50 sets inorder to produce the 16/17 combpo for the fed elise. These wheel are currently being used in the US superbike market and everybody loves the bike version.

Dymang is interest in the US Market but they need to see that the volume is there.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hi

Cast Mg – wheels have been supplied by Lotus for the 340 R.
Unfortunately these wheels were no more available because Mimwheels in Italy

http://www.mimwheels.com

were no more allowed to produce these wheels “invented” by Lotus.

But now Mimwheels has slightly modified the design and we can get them again for the S1 Elise.

It might be possible that also for the Fed Elise Mimmwheels will make such wheels case there is enough demand / interest.

In case you can read French see :

http://www.boostage.com/Elise and then :

Masse non suspendue and / or Jantes Mk1 ou Mk2

You`ll see there pictures of the original Lotus wheels and also of the slightly modified ones.

Jean-Pierre´s WS is one of the best Elise WS and he has the contacts to Mimmwheels.

Contact him directly to get more details: [email protected]

But cast Mg- rims are not the ultimate solution . Rims used in formula 1 are forged magnesium. So far the only production car which has them is the Porsche Carrera GT.

I do not know who makes them for Porsche.

BTW :I got these wheels from wheels for my S1 from Italy for approx 1800 Euros.

Ruediger

PS
The alternative would be forged aluminium wheels made in Japan. For these you should contact Edgar and his friends in Hong Kong:
http://elise.pinkcore.com/forum/default.asp

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Assume these are DOT approved, as in the motorcycle area I don't think any mag wheels are DOT approved for street use as comparatively fragile to forged alum. Had a set of mag. marchesinis on the Duc, cringed every time I hit a pothole.
Chris

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
i had a set of the full carbons on my hayabusa, and on my 1000r.
awesome rim, terrible, terrible, terrible comapany.
if they tell u they can produce 50 wheels or 50 sets or whatever, no matter what they tell u, add about 6 years to whenever they say they can have them done....
have u priced these?? a few years back my motorcycle rims were abt 5k for the pair.
i wouldnt go anywhere near dymag.....if i were, i would make sure they have the rims they say they have. and mean personally take an inventory. dont let them give u any bs that they will make them....u will be on your 3rd car long after u sold ur elise.
:)
seriously. they are terrible to do business with.
i think its just a british thing

·
Registered
583 Posts
From what I know, Dymag are not made in the UK, they are imported.

whist they are light, I have seen them break in competition, and personally, I would not run them due to the initial cost and maintenance required (ie. regular inspections and X-Ray crack testing).

for a road car they have to be a no-no, and are not certified by TUV or the like.

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
chris and simon....
my understanding is that the rims are made in the u.k....i KNOW its a u.k. company.
i had my problems with andrew at superbike racing, the owner, but my understanding and my experience is my biggest problems were with dymag itself. either way, andrew is as british as the union jack...nothing wrong with that, i like the brits, but they seem to have a different way of doing business. they seem to be on the "evolutionary time scale," as i refer to it.
i did see racing wheels for cars, but not sure i would use those. the failures on bikes happened with the old designs as far as i know.
u might try contacting blackstone tek...ive been out of race bikes for awhile so i dont know if theyre even still around. they make carbon fiber rims...or did. american company....maybe they can help ya out.
the dymags were awesome rims, but if u ever need service forget it.....trust me.

·
Super Moderator
6,820 Posts
Ruediger said:

In case you can read French see :

http://www.boostage.com/Elise and then :

Masse non suspendue and / or Jantes Mk1 ou Mk2

You`ll see there pictures of the original Lotus wheels and also of the slightly modified ones.
You propbably should note that the "Masse non suspendue" link is NOT WORK SAFE, and somewhat disturbing as the girls appear to be quite young and very out of place. Them French guys are weird...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts