The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
'07 Exige S
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Yesterday I had my car dynoed at a Porsche only shop. I have known this facility for 35 years through all of my 911 & 930 ownership.
They used the Dynapack system which is used on F1 cars. Supposedly it is a much more accurate and some would say, a more conservative measurement of actual HP.
There are no variables from tires, tire sizes (expansion) during the test, temperature, rolling resistance etc. And they say you can virtually use different Dynapack machines and reproduce identical results.

Just a little background. I bought my '07 Exige S two years ago bone stock with just under 7000 miles on it. It now has 16,000 miles. The base S220 is supposed to be 218HP (is that at the crank or WHP???). I am the third owner so you never "really" know the actual mileage. I have followed BOE's "mod" list almost to the tee. Here are the engine mods I have done

1. Torque 300 Tune
2. BOE/DMC 4 into 1 Long Tube Headers
3. Sport CAT
4. Larini Club sport tailpipe
5. Radium Fuel Rail & Radium Overflow Coolant Tank
6. BOE/Bosch EV14 Injectors
7. NGK BKR7EIX Iridium Spark Plugs
8. WALBRO 255 pump
9. 3.1" Pulley
10. BOE CAI
11. MWR Underpulleys

I still have the stock IC. I run basic 93 octane pump fuel. Yesterday was fairly cool at 4pm - 60 degrees. We conducted 3 pulls and I made two poor decisions when I instructed the shop on setup. We did not connect for AFR's (the bung is on top (should be on the bottom) of the pipe just before the CAT and we set the maximum RPM measurement to be 8400 vs. red line of 8500. I figured we would see a drop off in HP and torque before then so why bother for the last 100 RPM's.

Here is the chart (HP results are WHP)

Here are my questions.
1. Is an S220's factory rated HP (218hp) based at the crank or WHP?
2. Based on Phil's web site he claims that if you implement all of his recommended engine mods including his Torque 300 tune you should get to 290WHP (is that a typo??)!!! Although I am missing a couple of his items (bigger IC and 3" pulley - I have a 3.1") my results are significantly off the mark. Why??
3. Are there problems with my motor? Should I have a leakdown test performed?

My results of 220.40WHP @ 8410RPM's equals 255.66 crank HP (they say to use a 16% conversion factor). That's 70WHP below what Phil says should be obtainable. I figured I would get to maybe 275 not 220.40!!!

I am really disappointed at the results and although all three pulls were very close with excellent linear parallels something is wrong. So please help me better understand what's going on. All suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Henry

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
I guess I would log IAT to see if the timing is being pulled back

You are unlikely to see 320 crank horsepower on a stock motor with a stock blower
Since you are below stock s260 numbers, I think maybe something is not all correct, but I think you need to be realistic about what horsepower is obtainable, and if you want max output you have to follow the recipe to a 'T' . Pulley is cheap. Intercooler isn't, I waited and found one here.

·
He's on fire!
3,275 Posts
Have you asked Phil yet? That seems like the first thing to do. @ 60F I would expect that is the best case scenario for timing not being pulled, but if it sat in the same place for awhile you are not doing yourself any favors on stock IC and no extra provisions for cooling it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi guys,
Yesterday I had my car dynoed at a Porsche only shop. I have known this facility for 35 years through all of my 911 & 930 ownership.
They used the Dynapack system which is used on F1 cars. Supposedly it is a much more accurate and some would say, a more conservative measurement of actual HP.
There are no variables from tires, tire sizes (expansion) during the test, temperature, rolling resistance etc. And they say you can virtually use different Dynapack machines and reproduce identical results.

Just a little background. I bought my '07 Exige S two years ago bone stock with just under 7000 miles on it. It now has 16,000 miles. The base S220 is supposed to be 218HP (is that at the crank or WHP???). I am the third owner so you never "really" know the actual mileage. I have followed BOE's "mod" list almost to the tee. Here are the engine mods I have done

1. Torque 300 Tune
3. Sport CAT
8. WALBRO 255 pump
9. 3.1" Pulley
10. BOE CAI
11. MWR Underpulleys

I still have the stock IC. I run basic 93 octane pump fuel. Yesterday was fairly cool at 4pm - 60 degrees. We conducted 3 pulls and I made two poor decisions when I instructed the shop on setup. We did not connect for AFR's (the bung is on top (should be on the bottom) of the pipe just before the CAT and we set the maximum RPM measurement to be 8400 vs. red line of 8500. I figured we would see a drop off in HP and torque before then so why bother for the last 100 RPM's.

View attachment 1272539

Here are my questions.
2. Based on Phil's web site he claims that if you implement all of his recommended engine mods including his Torque 300 tune you should get to 290WHP (is that a typo??)!!! Although I am missing a couple of his items (bigger IC and 3" pulley - I have a 3.1") my results are significantly off the mark. Why??

My results of 220.40WHP @ 8410RPM's equals 255.66 crank HP (they say to use a 16% conversion factor). That's 70WHP below what Phil says should be obtainable. I figured I would get to maybe 275 not 220.40!!!

I am really disappointed at the results and although all three pulls were very close with excellent linear parallels something is wrong. So please help me better understand what's going on. All suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Henry
The BOE REV300 supercharger kit (which upgrades the supercharger, even that shows 277whp on his site)

His torque 300 flash for the Exige shows 265whp which has all the upgrades. Intercooler for IAT and pulley size make a big difference.

Factory horsepower claims are always crank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2010 Lotus Exige S260 Sport
209 Posts
Good morning,
Here is a few data points from my car with torque 300.

1. I believe all the horsepower from factory are crank. My s260 had 257 crank hp.
2. Phil’s website claims torque 300/300 crank hp if you follow is recipe closely. That is my understanding. The major variable you have from the recipe is 3.1 pulley where Phil recommended 3.0 in the recipe.
3. If you could post the air fuel ratio, we might get a better picture of what’s going on. I’m not sure the dmc header you have is the latest updated version BOE offers. I believe there are 30-40whp that can be gained from that header and pulley upgrade.

4. Here is my dynapack with the specs I used for my torque 300 tune, I hope this would be of help to you. My wheel hp on dynapack came in at 264whp at 8400. At crank, that’s more than 300. I’m not sure how accurate your dyno is since the torque numbers are not very accurate for you at 600ftlb (Ferrari number?) and you achieved 220whp at 142mph.

A. Torque 300 tune
B. BOE Bosch 550cc injectors
C. BOE/ITG CAI
D. 2bular 4-1 inconel manifold with SDCP, 8 inch exhaust
E. 3.0 supercharger pulley
F. Radium surge tank with walbro 416 lph fuel pump
G. RLS intercooler and 3chambered shroud and side air ducting

·
Registered
66 Posts
Good morning,
Here is a few data points from my car with torque 300.

1. I believe all the horsepower from factory are crank. My s260 had 257 crank hp.
2. Phil’s website claims torque 300/300 crank hp if you follow is recipe closely. That is my understanding. The major variable you have from the recipe is 3.1 pulley where Phil recommended 3.0 in the recipe.
3. If you could post the air fuel ratio, we might get a better picture of what’s going on. I’m not sure the dmc header you have is the latest updated version BOE offers. I believe there are 30-40whp that can be gained from that header and pulley upgrade.

4. Here is my dynapack with the specs I used for my torque 300 tune, I hope this would be of help to you. My wheel hp on dynapack came in at 264whp at 8400. At crank, that’s more than 300. I’m not sure how accurate your dyno is since the torque numbers are not very accurate for you at 600ftlb (Ferrari number?) and you achieved 220whp at 142mph.

A. Torque 300 tune
B. BOE Bosch 550cc injectors
C. BOE/ITG CAI
D. 2bular 4-1 inconel manifold with SDCP, 8 inch exhaust
E. 3.0 supercharger pulley
F. Radium surge tank with walbro 416 lph fuel pump
G. RLS intercooler and 3chambered shroud and side air ducting

View attachment 1272540
That’s a great point Fyndfyre.

I’d have doubts on the dyno you used OP given it shows 600 ft lb of wheel torque.

Not even the most crazily modded Exige’s are hitting that. Heavily upgraded on the 2ZZ will be in the 200’s max

·
Registered
755 Posts
What’s up with the torque numbers, they’re about 3x too high?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'07 Exige S
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The DMC headers I am using are Phil's current model (well they are two years old

·
Registered
'07 Exige S
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
By the way we ran the dyno test in fifth gear which is the closest to 1 to 1 (.92 to 1) and final drive ratio of 4.52 to 1

·
Registered
66 Posts
By the way we ran the dyno test in fifth gear which is the closest to 1 to 1 (.92 to 1) and final drive ratio of 4.52 to 1
Seems correct. Pulley is worth another 10-20, intercooler another 10-15, and cutting it off early probably worth another 5-10, which would put you in the 260ish whp range

Edit: Keep in mind not every dyno or car will read the same. Things fluctuate, especially not knowing AFR and IAT’s

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
What’s up with the torque numbers, they’re about 3x too high?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"wheel torque" is a terrible metric. Let's say you have a 10:1 overall reduction in 1st gear, then 200lbf*ft at the the flywheel becomes 2000lbf*ft "at the wheels", literally speaking. Rather, what happens is that a dyno measures the wheel hp directly then uses P=T*rpm/5252 to estimate torque after losses. Using a 1:1 or 10:1 or 1:10 ratio doesn't matter for the calculation of power since it also logs rpm, regardless of gear ratio. It does influence the loss factor, but we're talking a small error here on a number that's already just pulled out of thin air.

·
Registered
'07 Exige S
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I plan on calling Phil, but here is copy from his web site. He clearly says 290WHP (and says stock is 200-220WHP). I assume that is a typo?

Our Favorite Street Car and DE track Recipe
With the above background, the following will make sense.
  • Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
  • BOE CAI
  • BOE 550 EV-14 Injectors
  • BOE HO 3" Pulley
  • BOE Bell Intercooler
  • DMC 4:1 Long Tube Header
  • BOE ST Muffler
  • BOE Torque 300 Tune to make it all work
An Exige/211 with the above combo will be a beastly car compared to anything stock. On a cool dyno run, you can see power numbers around 290whp (compared to 200-220whp stock!) with the above list without sacrificing any of the original drivability or reliability of the engine.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I plan on calling Phil, but here is copy from his web site. He clearly says 290WHP (and says stock is 200-220WHP). I assume that is a typo?

Our Favorite Street Car and DE track Recipe
With the above background, the following will make sense.
  • Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
  • BOE CAI
  • BOE 550 EV-14 Injectors
  • BOE HO 3" Pulley
  • BOE Bell Intercooler
  • DMC 4:1 Long Tube Header
  • BOE ST Muffler
  • BOE Torque 300 Tune to make it all work
An Exige/211 with the above combo will be a beastly car compared to anything stock. On a cool dyno run, you can see power numbers around 290whp (compared to 200-220whp stock!) with the above list without sacrificing any of the original drivability or reliability of the engine.
Could be Phil is referencing a high reading dyno given the stock figures. By any chance did you dyno yours stock on the same dyno?

·
Registered
2010 Lotus Exige S260 Sport
209 Posts
There is a big dip in torque and hp between 3.5k and 4K rpm. The reason I asked for AFR is, during my first initial run, my AFR were at 15-14 and ran a high risk of detonation. I stopped the run at 5k rpm to avoid blowing the engine up. The culprit was fuel pressure being too low at 40psi and I had to adjust the fuel pressure to 48-50 psi range. The RLS intercooler with three chambered shroud and side ducts might also help with your Hp numbers. But that torque and hp dip point should be carefully reviewed.

Also, I would like to add that the dynapack provider I used also told me the same thing that my whp will be 5-10 lower to that of dyno jet. That’s another variable to consider.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I believe dynapacks tend to read higher than dynojets, and dynojets tend to read higher than mustang dynos. But, they are all within like 5% of each other, so it's marginal.

Also, dyno operators can easily adjust the readings.

Dynos aren't suppose to be used to compare your graph to someone else's, unless everyone is running at the same time, same temp, and with the same operator. The gains or losses is what it's a tool for.

·
Registered
755 Posts
"wheel torque" is a terrible metric...
Right, I hadn't noticed that it was "axle torque" (torque at the wheels), first time I've seen that on a dyno chart (for the reasons you explained).

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
115 Posts
Hi guys,

1. Torque 300 Tune
3. Sport CAT
8. WALBRO 255 pump
9. 3.1" Pulley
10. BOE CAI
11. MWR Underpulleys

View attachment 1272539

Here are my questions.

Thanks,
Henry
I assume you did 3pulls.Your torque#s
are all over the place.
Hi guys,

1. Torque 300 Tune
3. Sport CAT
8. WALBRO 255 pump
9. 3.1" Pulley
10. BOE CAI
11. MWR Underpulleys

View attachment 1272539

Here are my questions.

Thanks,
Henry
Something is very wrong.Way too much
Variation in torque curves.515 to 545 @4k
Also too big of a dip @4k
Without knowing IAT and AFR it’s hard
to troubleshoot.First thing to do is
Find cause of dip and inconsistencies at
4K.Need a timing curve and fuel pressures
I have a fuel pressure rig you can borrow
If you that data isn’t available from ecu.
I am suspicious of your tune.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts