The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, not really.
Nonetheless, Dyno results from today:
2008 2-eleven with 2bular header and the old CharlieX tune.

Only 228 hp, was quite bummed. AFR was rich at 11.5
It was 90degrees in Central NC and only had fan on front. Did not have air flow into each side intercooler intakes.

My buddy brought his 2008 Exige 240 overall stock except for the newer Koldfire tune.
240 hp!!

I did not have time to Dyno my 260S with Koldfire tune but am now quite curious.

I could have gotten better numbers with more air flow and not 90*, but come on. Only 228!!!!

Is this what you guys saw with the Charlix tune?

Looks like Phil/Koldfire will be getting some , more business from me.............

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
I saw 224 with Cx tune on the older BWR charger. Does the 240 get 240 at wheels?

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I have a CX tune on my Exige... given the Traqmate data I have on all three cars vs. the 2010 2-Eleven dyno... I'd guess my Exige is around 228whp.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
My Charlie X tune did not dyno well in the heat (90 degree day with high humidity) with my Exige S (2bular headers & sport cat). Same thing, low 200 WHP. Then I dyno'd on a cold day with fans running everywhere.......high 200 WHP. Same dyno. Gotta wonder.

I'm also switching to a Koldfire custom tune with a few new bits on my engine ;-) Can't wait to dyno.......

·
Registered
370 Posts
I tried to upload from Dynojet but did not work
I'll try again
I was over there with Jay yesterday. I don't think either of us are dyno pros - my first run was 171 hp -eek-

I got everything saved but was having trouble getting the output like CJ, our dyno guy. The one thing I could do with the files was to see the various effects of different correction and smoothing factors. CJ ran ours during the session at STD, which I see is a couple hp higher than SAE. As always, YMMV.

Do I have a baseline? No. Given I have the cable, would be interesting to reflash to stock and see where the starting point was on the same dyno, but no sense spending $$ for another run dwelling on the past.

Anyway, my graph.... Oh, and for full disclosure I'm *mostly* stock as Jay said with cup airbox, 3.1 pulley and KF tuned for that and decat + 2bular GT3 (although stock cat and exhaust were on at the time.)

Attachments

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
your car's running lean. the stock cat did that. Once you put the decat back on, the AFR will be more rich. Actually surprised the graph is smooth after having put on the stock cat when it's tuned for the decat.

Why did they start recording at 4000? And they didn't use SAE, which means your numbers would have been slightly lower.

I tried to upload from Dynojet but did not work
I'll try again
You mean you're trying to export the graph as a jpg?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Am I missing something here? Can't the difference in hp be accounted for by the 3.1 pulley and decat on the 240?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
...as a point of reference. We dynoed a friends '07 Exige-S w/Cup airbox and Lotus Stage 3 cat back exhaust. He put down 208WHP. Back to back my car '08 Exige-S 240 w/Cup airbox, charlie-x, and decat pipe dynoed at 241whp to the wheels. Mustang Dyno. It was 68degF and 63% humidity. I think I recall these numbers WERE corrected for weather... I think uncorrected they were higher.

·
Registered
370 Posts
your car's running lean. the stock cat did that. Once you put the decat back on, the AFR will be more rich. Actually surprised the graph is smooth after having put on the stock cat when it's tuned for the decat.
Interesting, good to know about the tune with the stock cat. I'm still learning this - where should the AFR be under load - around 14.7 or on the rich side?

Why did they start recording at 4000? And they didn't use SAE, which means your numbers would have been slightly lower.
Basically we rowed through first and second and they started recording when we went into third (which was around 3-4K) up to redline - is this standard? Agreed when I flip the files over to SAE they're about 3-4 hp lower.

I'll probably put the decat and exhaust back on and get another run - anything in particular I should do differently? I'd prefer to keep the runs as consistent as possible. The shop owner running the dyno said 4th gear pulls slightly higher numbers over third. What do most of the people here use?

I'm calling Jay's next 2-Eleven dyno at 260WHP +/- 3 :coolnana:

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Overall the power looks good. I do agree it is more lean than I personally would expect it to be, but that is up to the tune/tuner. It should be far richer than 14.7 at WOT.

Most dyno pulls are done in the gear closest to 1:1 (in this car that would be 4th gear). SAE is the more commonly accepted correction standard.

So for the next runs for a more "standard" approach do the runs in 4th gear, and use SAE correction. I would suggest starting the run at a lower speed (2500 even) to get a clearer picture of the entire powerband.

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
Am I missing something here? Can't the difference in hp be accounted for by the 3.1 pulley and decat on the 240?
well the 3.1" will be similar gain to the 2bular header AFA max power ~20whp. Decat is typically good for another 10whp. This is of course taking into account tuning.

Overall the power looks good. I do agree it is more lean than I personally would expect it to be, but that is up to the tune/tuner. It should be far richer than 14.7 at WOT.

Most dyno pulls are done in the gear closest to 1:1 (in this car that would be 4th gear). SAE is the more commonly accepted correction standard.

So for the next runs for a more "standard" approach do the runs in 4th gear, and use SAE correction. I would suggest starting the run at a lower speed (2500 even) to get a clearer picture of the entire powerband.
+1

Does the lotus have enough power?
That is the real question.
that question is subjective, the real question is if it's correct. (the tune and if the car's running properly)

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
Sounds like you guys had a mighty fine time! :up:

#1 Do the pulls in 4th gear. The data will be more consistant. THe numbers will be maybe 5-10whp more, but that's not the point.

#2 How were the AFR figures collected? A tail pipe sniffer or did they install the WB in the exhaust pipe via a the second 02 port or an additional (3rd) 02 port?
2a# if they installed the WB02 into the exhaust, was it pre or post cat?

#3 How new was the WB02?

#4 Next time take an OBD tool with you so you can monitor temps and such. If the intake temps are different from pull to pull, the output will change. From a tuning standpoint, it's critical to be able to control that... It's not as critical when doing glory runs on the rollers like this, but good info nonetheless...

5# While on the dyno, besides blowing air into the radiator and IC, you should have a fan blowing air into the driver's side scoop. MAF compensations do exist and the sensor can get artificially warm sitting in the hot engine bay with no air moving around it. We use 3 fan here. Engine, IC, Intake scoop.

#6 Agree WhatsADSM with above about corrections. SAE is typically a better scale.

#7 AFRs don't look out of line at all, particularly in a vacuum.

#8 Of course you made more power with our KF tune than that old recycled bit of programming. I told you two this before you even went to the rollers! ;) :D. I kid....sorta:)

Take care,

Phil

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Remember to turn off your traction control when your on the dyno. That may have an impact on the results too.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm jealous. You two had much better pulls than mine. I'm that really sad dyno run in NicedUp's system.
And DocJay, your Fiat probably would beat my run!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts