The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NOTE: I know these kind of threads are annoying, but i've skimmed the TVS blower thread and a few others and I never seem to encounter any straight answers. I just find myself reading in circles... It seems that 275whp wheel is sustainable for the internals, provided a good tune...

I have an 08 S240

Is my only tuning option charlieX? I can't seem to locate much information about the gotham tune without sifting through a mountain of random stuff...

Hydra EMS only available for non DBW cars? (I had a hydra in my sti and wasn't that impressed with it, anyway)

I thought about running a slightly smaller pulley and tuning it with a variable meth controller, but then I have NO timing control. It's also pretty ghetto, and could cause the factory ECU to freak out.

I also thought about putting a bottle on it for when I really want to go fast, but again... I'm worried about knock... I suppose a 25 wet shot probably wouldn't detonate all over the place... certainly enough that the OEM ECU could pull timing...

Sigh, I suppose this thread is pretty vague... should i really just read through the 5 or so 50 page threads? Is my answer there?

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
dump the arqray it's not even 2" internal diameter IIRC, you need a straight through 2.5" zaust.

What do you want to know about Gotham?

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
The EFI Standalone has more teeth than the Hydra if you're one that wants a standalone for infinite adjustments as you mod the car (my preference). Plenty of tunes out there for the EFI as well to get you started...

So it really boils down to what you want.

Do you want to tune it yourself (and be able to tweak the tune yourself in the future) or have someone else tune it? If the former, then EFI is your best bet, hands down. If the latter, then you've got Charlie, and I beleive VF (maybe Mr. Oz too??) to do the tune for you with CX's ECU software.

The majority of folks do the mail order tune through Charlie (like the gotham you mentioned) and are content. So you gotta ask yourself, are you one of those people-poke-:D:D?

Best,

Phil

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I abhor the thought of a mailorder tune. I am very close friends with the owner of innovativetuning.com and can essentially receive free tunes.

I don't want anything to monumental at the moment... just a SLIGHTLY smaller pulley tune and be done with it for now. Not looking to replace internals yet.

Or will I max out the strength of the motor before I even need a smaller pulley? A cursory glance at the M62 comp map looks like it's still got some breath in it. I'm also not TOTALLY opposed to water/meth inj

To be honest, I totally spaced on EFI. I will look into that.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
You sound like a street racer wanting to throw a bottle on a Lotus.

If thats the case you bought the wrong car. Lotus s240 is not the "lets go roll race ricorz on the highway" kinda car. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

If thats the case you bought the wrong car. Lotus s240 is not the "lets go roll race ricorz on the highway" kinda car. :shrug:

I just like cars, and I like driving them.

I will take this car to track days, I'll also probably push it down the 1/4 mile a few times.

I appreciate all aspects of "fast".

I can make this car whatever I want it to be. :)

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Charlie is your best bet...get a smaller pulley, and get your intercooling figured out with larger inlet, meth injection, or a water->air intercooler, custom tune and hover around 270ish rwhp to be on the safe side. That'll be a very fun car - anymore your problems increase with heat and internals.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Charlie is your best bet...get a smaller pulley, and get your intercooling figured out with larger inlet, meth injection, or a water->air intercooler, custom tune and hover around 270ish rwhp to be on the safe side. That'll be a very fun car - anymore your problems increase with heat and internals.
Regarding heat, I was just looking at the compressor map for the M62.

In it's OEM state, 7psi (at the blower), compressor efficiency charts up at 62% or so.

At 10psi, it's at 58% Probably well within range.

At 12psi it's at 55% and only gets worse.

10-12 is probably max allowable for the M62 in this application and even then, I imagine it'd need H20 injection...

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
10psi with stock compression should give you well into the 270rwhp range with Charlie magic. Again you will have to figure out long term intake cooling, like a core charger, or just be satisfied with your air to air and understand it will get heat soaked relatively soon on the track. You also might be able to add on the intercooler from the VF kit as well...or, like I did before water/meth injection is a great solution on top of your air to air.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts

Look into his previous builds. You're impression is the wrong guess.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Look into his previous builds. You're impression is the wrong guess.
I know who he is. And my opinion hasnt changed. I dont care what you've built. A bottle on a car like this :shrug: i dont see the point.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
I know who he is. And my opinion hasnt changed. I dont care what you've built. A bottle on a car like this :shrug: i dont see the point.
:eek:, maybe OP just wants to go faster or hang with the big boys.

Either way, i have no problem with a bottle...

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's true guiz.

I'm a mad tyte street racers.

My other car is an eleventy billion HP FWD honda w/ no chassis or suspension mods.

Currently looking into EFI and a pulley...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts