The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

I just got off the phone with Dave Behlmann owner of Mid-Rivers Lotus in St. Louis. He noted nothing Earth shattering was announced in Birmingham. They had an absolute blast with Doc Bundy, former Esprit X180R race driver on the Barber Motorsports track. Dave wants to come to LOG 24 just to drive on the Barber track agin in an Elise.

We also chatted about the current E-Bay auction for Elise item 2469518358 which references a lot of non-truths. Dave asked the seller to remove his and Mid-Rivers name. It should happen today. Dave suggested anyone trying to sell their Elise spot with his delaership is welcome to do that but the buyer will go to the bottom of the list. The contract/buyer's agreement is with the seller not the secondary market buyer. Not sure how all of you feel, but this seems equitable.

One other comment from Dave, Lotus Cars USA has never said the first year of US Elise are sold out.

Caveat Debtor!!!

A public service announcement from your friends at
Lotus Ltd. and Behlmann Mid-Rivers Lotus

Mark Pfeffer

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
LOL !!!

We should definitely post a manual for sale with this information in it. If Jen ever pays me the $6.50 for the buyers' guide I sold her, I can use that money to start a new auction!

:)

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
transio said:
LOL !!!
If Jen ever pays me the $6.50 for the buyers' guide I sold her, I can use that money to start a new auction!

:)
I think some negative feedback is in order...:)

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
I'm glad that that was Dave's response. I have been very impressed with them since day one and they continue to be decen people.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Feffman said:
Hi All:

I just got off the phone with Dave Behlmann owner of Mid-Rivers Lotus in St. Louis. He noted nothing Earth shattering was announced in Birmingham. They had an absolute blast with Doc Bundy, former Esprit X180R race driver on the Barber Motorsports track. Dave wants to come to LOG 24 just to drive on the Barber track agin in an Elise.

We also chatted about the current E-Bay auction for Elise item 2469518358 which references a lot of non-truths. Dave asked the seller to remove his and Mid-Rivers name. It should happen today. Dave suggested anyone trying to sell their Elise spot with his delaership is welcome to do that but the buyer will go to the bottom of the list. The contract/buyer's agreement is with the seller not the secondary market buyer. Not sure how all of you feel, but this seems equitable.

One other comment from Dave, Lotus Cars USA has never said the first year of US Elise are sold out.

Caveat Debtor!!!

A public service announcement from your friends at
Lotus Ltd. and Behlmann Mid-Rivers Lotus

Mark Pfeffer
Glad to hear this. Thanks, Mark. If all dealers took this approach, that would really curtail this activity.

My feelings: it's ok to buy the car and flip it for whatever the market will bear, since it's your property; it's unacceptable to sell a spot on a waiting list, since you only own the right to buy the car yourself, not a transferrable option.

Obviously, most people will not want to put out $50K and then try to sell the car for a modest profit. Plus, I believe that the new seller would be liable for sales tax again. Plus, some buyers probably would prefer to get the car new from a dealer, rather than "like new" from a private party.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I gather it's possible to avoid the sales tax problems on flipping a car by leasing it. You pay the sales tax over the lifetime of the lease, so if you flip it early you have paid very little.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't think you can avoid paying sales tax in CA on a new car. Used - sure, but I don't think a dealer is going to sell you a car without the proper documentation.

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
nickt said:
I don't think you can avoid paying sales tax in CA on a new car. Used - sure, but I don't think a dealer is going to sell you a car without the proper documentation.
And suppose you never intend on driving it on streets thus not needing it to be registered? Let's say if you only planned to use it as a track car only. Are they not going to sell it to you.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
1FASTMX5 said:
And suppose you never intend on driving it on streets thus not needing it to be registered? Let's say if you only planned to use it as a track car only. Are they not going to sell it to you.
In CA it's not a registration fee, it's a sales tax. The dealer sells the car to you...he has to forward the collected sales tax to the state. No way are you going to get out of the door without paying the sales tax. The only exception is if you have a reseller tax ID #...and in CA, for a car, that means you must be a car dealer. Being a licensed car dealer is not something easily obtained either, there are a lot of regulations around that.

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
ChrisB said:
In CA it's not a registration fee, it's a sales tax. The dealer sells the car to you...he has to forward the collected sales tax to the state. No way are you going to get out of the door without paying the sales tax. The only exception is if you have a reseller tax ID #...and in CA, for a car, that means you must be a car dealer. Being a licensed car dealer is not something easily obtained either, there are a lot of regulations around that.
Eeeew Cali!
Bad Gas and Tax Nazi's.... well theres always the nice weather :)

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
1FASTMX5 said:
Eeeew Cali!
Bad Gas and Tax Nazi's.... well theres always the nice weather :)
Don't forget the cost of living is really high here. Traffic is a nightmare. Air quality is terrible. We are bankrupt.

So, DON'T MOVE HERE. Please. The great weather, beautiful beaches, lovely mountains, wine country, etc., etc., just aren't worth it.

However, you are welcome to visit. Enjoy all that the state has to offer. Then leave.

Thank you. This was a public service announcement brought to you by "Native Californians Lamenting the Good Old Days When You Could Actually Drive Places Without Major Traffic Jams Every Time You Try to Go Somewhere".

There are 49 other states - if you don't like where you are living, pick one of them, please.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts