The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was pointed to a local E85 station by another LotusTalk member -- turns out this station is VERY close to home (2 miles away). I inquired about current price per gallon - $2.73.

Since Lotus did a one off E85 car, I thought this my be worth investigating. I'm on the increased boost route with my MP62 (aim around 10-11 psi with 9:1 Mahle), I decided to look into the use of this fuel over the $70/gallon 100 octane race gas I get. As I understand it E85 has 100-105 equivalent octane rating.

I read anywhere from 6% - 40% more fuel is needed over gasoline (so even worst case it comes out 1/2 the cost of 100 octane race gas). So my 550 injectors might not be enough (750).

264 horsepower and 185 lb-ft of torque...two additional fuel injectors have been added at the supercharger inlet for better fuel flow under high pressure, and the fuel line system has been improved to withstand the E85 fuel...
I contacted Walbro and they indicated that the pump is NOT designed for use in ethanol and will shorten the life of the pump. Did a google search and it seems hit or miss on the success of Walbro pump on E85 - some fail, some don't. Unfortunately I can't find any aftermarket pump that is E85 compatible so the question is, what are they using in production cars and the "conversion" kits? And what did Lotus use in their E85 one off?

It does seem that E85 does not like standard rubber and/or non-anodized aluminum -- so I'd have to factor that in.

Anyone have thoughts/input on E85?

Thanks, Rob.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I was pointed to a local E85 station by another LotusTalk member -- turns out this station is VERY close to home (2 miles away). I inquired about current price per gallon - $2.73.

Since Lotus did a one off E85 car, I thought this my be worth investigating. I'm on the increased boost route with my MP62 (aim around 10-11 psi with 9:1 Mahle), I decided to look into the use of this fuel over the $70/gallon 100 octane race gas I get. As I understand it E85 has 100-105 equivalent octane rating.

I read anywhere from 6% - 40% more fuel is needed over gasoline (so even worst case it comes out 1/2 the cost of 100 octane race gas). So my 550 injectors might not be enough (750).

I contacted Walbro and they indicated that the pump is NOT designed for use in ethanol and will shorten the life of the pump. Did a google search and it seems hit or miss on the success of Walbro pump on E85 - some fail, some don't. Unfortunately I can't find any aftermarket pump that is E85 compatible so the question is, what are they using in production cars and the "conversion" kits? And what did Lotus use in their E85 one off?

It does seem that E85 does not like standard rubber and/or non-anodized aluminum -- so I'd have to factor that in.

Thanks, Rob.
Maybe I am extremely clueless, but what gas ****ing costs 70$ a gallon? 110 is less than that.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Maybe I am extremely clueless, but what gas ****ing costs 70$ a gallon? 110 is less than that.
Nitromethane, but I'm betting he's not running that.
:shrug:

·
Registered
268 Posts

Thanks, Rob.
Also, I noticed you are in the bay area as well. Where is the station? My concern would be the amount of other stations. I don't know if you ever daily drive your car, but if you are 50 miles away, where are you going to find E85?

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
Fred, the stock fuel pump isn't e85 compatible, the 265E uses the stock pump, but since they own their own factory and its a show car, it'll be changed out when it fails

as far as i know non e85 pumps have two problems, one is the corrosion, the other is that the intank stock pumps can spark in E85 and ignite, so they're a different material to counter it.

The 265E uses two extra injectors, for a total of 6 425CC injectors, this allows the fuel to be delivered and to help cool things down, at about 8000RPM it needs around 1400g/min of fuel.

you can run significantly more timing on the e85 and the engine was not knock limited as it is on petrol.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
its cheap because taxpayers are subsidizing the farm industry.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I've been daily driving E85 for over a year with a Walbro and no problems yet. Here's my experiences with it

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f106/finally-e85-los-angeles-50311/
Its a waste of money to daily drive on e85. You get better performance but you also only get 67% of the mileage that you would get on regular gas. So unless its just a whooooooole lot cheaper than gas, which it isnt... then its pointless. Save the ozone but pay a lot to do it.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I know when I talked to the guys at Monkeywrench they said one of there race cars too twin walbro 255's and 1600cc running 80% duty cycle to make 500whp. Apparently one fuel pump wasn't enough.

So my guess is it was taking about 30-35% more fuel.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Its a waste of money to daily drive on e85. You get better performance but you also only get 67% of the mileage that you would get on regular gas. So unless its just a whooooooole lot cheaper than gas, which it isnt... then its pointless. Save the ozone but pay a lot to do it.
If you're using E85 as a performance fuel, you should compare it to 110 leaded, not pump gas. I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of fuel mileage for a "small" power bump. chart below is 91 octane vs E85 on mah ride

66whp gain on E85 ; 20% gain
+94 lbs torque gain on E85; 32% gain

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
If you're using E85 as a performance fuel, you should compare it to 110 leaded, not pump gas. I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of fuel mileage for a "small" power bump. chart below is 91 octane vs E85 on mah ride

66whp gain on E85 ; 20% gain
+94 lbs torque gain on E85; 32% gain
People dont drive daily on 110. They do on 91. E85 was made as an alternative for regular pump gas and they expect people to drive daily using it. So I compare it to 91/93.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
I wouldn't use it for environmental purposes. If you add up the entire production process, it puts out more co2 then regular gas. use it for what it is, a more accessible source of high octane fuel

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
People dont drive daily on 110. They do on 91. E85 was made as an alternative for regular pump gas and they expect people to drive daily using it. So I compare it to 91/93.
Yes it was developed as an alternative for pump gas. However, a lot of people are using it as a poor man's race gas since it shows similar characteristics as running 110 leaded and its cheaper than 100, 110, C16, etc....

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
I wouldn't use it for environmental purposes. If you add up the entire production process, it puts out more co2 then regular gas. use it for what it is, a more accessible source of high octane fuel
I wouldn't use any car fuel for environmental purposes since cars are not nearly the biggest culprit in terms of CO2 emissions.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
right. I'm just saying people shouldn't use E85 over dinojuice thinking they are being green. thats all.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I wouldn't use any car fuel for environmental purposes since cars are not nearly the biggest culprit in terms of CO2 emissions.
While what you're saying might be true, since you specifically singled out cars, fossil fuel combustion is by far the largest source of CO2 emissions, globally.

Among fossil fuel use, Transportation is the second leading cause of CO2 emissions. So saying 'not nearly the biggest' is a gross under-exaggeration.

Transportation use of petroleum is the biggest CO2 emission source via petroleum. Coal only barely exceeds petroleum when measured in the use of electricity generation. Overall, since electricity is also generated with petroleum and natural gas, electricity-generation is the #1 CO2 source. However, don't try to brush under the rug the fact that gasoline for transportation is the #2 source, and is incredibly significant in the overall CO2 footprint of the USA (and likely similar across the globe).

·
Registered
268 Posts
More CO2 is generated from natural causes than anything man made. I believe cows alone generate more CO2 compared to all of the transportation in the world, based on 2006 reports from UN FAO.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
not C02, methane. oops I just added a little more of that to the environment.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts