The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone upgrade injectors and fuel pump and run E85 or a E85/pump gas mix on a s/c application yet? I was reading on the BMW boards for the N54 motor and a lot of people are starting to run 70% pump gas 30% E85 and making really good power with the mix (100 rwhp over stock with just a tune). I was thinking the cooling properties of E85 would be great for non intercooled s/c cars to run a 3.0" or smaller pulley and make closer to 240-250 rwhp.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I wanna say I have seen some poeple on here that are running E85...just a couple though. The real issue is, at least the one I ran in to, is where to get E85 dependably in the DFW area. I couldn't find sh*t in Fort Worth. You Dallas hipsters might be better off though :)

PS, I think you got "non s/c" part mixed up.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
See signature. FWIW, I have been running E85 on my personal vehicles for the past 4 years or so and have tuned a few others locally for it as well. I simply can not say enough good things about it as a fuel for enthusiasts. The biggest downfall is the lack of infrastructure (stations that carry it) and the fact that it does limit the overall range one can see on a full tank.

Other notes on it:
- I have made ~345 wheel horsepower on my car with no cooling at all. It was at roughly 12.5psi on a basically stock Honda K24A2. I am in the process of adding a little intercooler to the setup along with a smaller blower pulley to bring the boost into the mid-high 13 range... I suspect I will see somewhere in the high 300whp range.
-This was the first car I ever tuned that was forced inducted with no cooling what-so-ever. I was pretty shocked to see that even with IATs that I knew were WELL into the 200* range, the engine was still fairly tolerant of ignition timing. I never saw a peep from the knock sensor, although I didn't push it to its limits either.
- In a non-intercooled system you have to tune it a little differently. Any modern engine is (Sequential) port injected so the IAT number you see coming off the sensor is pre-port and therefore is not really indicative of the real IAT in the combustion chamber. What I suggest is relying less upon IAT ignition trimming, and tuning it more "open loop".
- You need LOTS of fuel to run E85. Just figure on 40-50% increase in fuel capabilities for E85, especially if you plan to run without an IC. Without the IC you will want to run richer mixtures for increased cooling effect... not to mention all the vehicles I have personally tuned like very rich lamdbas even with decent intercooler setups. In terms of a 2zz with a M62 blower what it boils down to:
Your standard Walbro255 should be able to support into the low 300whp range on E85... which is enough to cover whatever the M62 can reasonably put out.
You will want large injectors figure something in the 800cc+ range

I can try to dig it up but there is a thread by DRS where they used E85 on a 2zz Elige in a "pre-injection" manner where they injected it into the blower... which is a little different methodology. I want to say the car made something in the high 200 range.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I've been considering the same thing. E85 is local to me, which is good. Just wouldn't wanna venture too far from where you know it's available!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I've been considering the same thing. E85 is local to me, which is good. Just wouldn't wanna venture too far from where you know it's available!
For what its worth if you have an aftermaket ecu or something like the koldfire flash cable (or if your lucky enough to have a different engine swap with a nice stock computer with ability to end user flash) you can have 2 tunes. One for e85 and one for gas.

You need the laptop with you but in that case if you are on a long trip and have to fill up with gas becuase e85 isn't available just run the tank way down put in gas reload the gas tune and go on your way.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Yeah it's easily doable but I'm a set and forget kinda guy. I definitely think more boost and E85 is the way to go for the Exige S, though. The whole joy of high alcohol fuel is the use with boost. Aside from replacing the charger with a turbo, there's really nothing else that'd give the bang for buck, power and useability I'm after IMO.

·
Vendor
3,095 Posts
For a boosted car is is killer. Call Kris at DRS and get the hookup!

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
One thing which concerns me about E85; the government has been toying with the idea of pulling subsidies for E85. It currently cost more than 91 octane gas to produce without subsidies. This factor is not a concern for track-only users, but anyone who also daily drives their lotus needs to factor this risk into their decision.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Great info. There's an E85 station about 3 miles from work here in Carrollton. I actually started mixing it with 93 on my 335 BMW and it's fun. That would severely limit the range on the car for trips and stuff but I mostly drive it around town and to race.

Would be cool to have 2 maps, one for E85 and one for 93. Does anyone offer a flash tune for E85 on a 2ZZ supercharged engine right now? I'd be willing to buy injectors and a fuel pump and tune to get up to high 200, low 300 whp range with the katana kit or up to whatever the MP62 blower can handle.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I think the greatest gains are seen by doing it the DRS way. They have 6 injectors, one on each cylinder, two on the supercharger (which dramatically reduces the intake air temperature IAT). The cooler the IAT, the more agressively you can tune without signficant risk of pinging and detonation.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think the greatest gains are seen by doing it the DRS way. They have 6 injectors, one on each cylinder, two on the supercharger (which dramatically reduces the intake air temperature IAT). The cooler the IAT, the more agressively you can tune without signficant risk of pinging and detonation.
I read the thread, seems like a very cool setup. What do the guys with street driven cars do for inspection when converting to a standalone?

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
The only DRS E85 car, which I have actually seen, was a track-only car. I could get away with it where I live; no inspections are done here. I am not sure a typical "inspector" from most states could easilly discern the difference. Perhaps the California ones, which see more exotic cars could tell something was different. A well done upgrade looks like something which came with the car. I have actually had a mechanic confused when I told him my supercharger was added to my car; he thought it looked "factory".

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The only DRS E85 car, which I have actually seen, was a track-only car. I could get away with it where I live; no inspections are done here. I am not sure a typical "inspector" from most states could easilly discern the difference. Perhaps the California ones, which see more exotic cars could tell something was different. A well done upgrade looks like something which came with the car. I have actually had a mechanic confused when I told him my supercharger was added to my car; he thought it looked "factory".
Lucky! Most states just have an obd2 check to make usre there are no CEL's and all the sensors are set to ready mode. California is probably a bit more strict than that with a visual check etc.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Even though my car has no cat, it would pass a scan test with no errors. All my sensors are in place, and my second O2 sensor is tricked into believing my cat is still in place.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I would just like to point out something I did before.

In a standard setup E85 is injected at the port. This means the IAT sensor will not see the cooling effect, however this doesn't mean it isn't occurring. Just that it occurs post IAT and therefore you don't see it.

You can get PLENTY aggressive with E85 port injected. The charge is still being cooled by fuel, and don't forget e85 still is ~105 octane.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts