The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have one of these? My fiancee never pressures me on anything car related but she's expressed interest in a white BMW convertible.

I sometimes think about replacing the Exige with one so we can both enjoy the car hobby more. I rarely drive the Lotus due to how flashy it is and sometimes all of the other TADTS things. It would be nice to have a car we can take on a road trip to California, haul a dog/friends/future kid around, or just go out to dinner in.

She said to just wait and add one to the garage "someday" but I have a feeling that will never happen with the Lotus around.

I'm at a crossroads in my life where I'm having second thoughts about having so many selfish toys (Exige, Ducati, firearms, etc.)

We make good money but not enough to support two high dollar cars like this without any sacrifice so having both isn't a financially smart option.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
depending on what ducati and exige you have, you could substitute both for a slightly older m3 and elise. During my car search, I saw an 06 m3 with around 30k miles and a few mods for $2xxxx :shrug:. I'll let the others talk about the other possible trade;).

·
Back to the Future, again
6,183 Posts
Anyone have one of these? My fiancee never pressures me on anything car related but she's expressed interest in a white BMW convertible.

I'm at a crossroads in my life where I'm having second thoughts about having so many selfish toys (Exige, Ducati, firearms, etc.)

We make good money but not enough to support two high dollar cars like this without any sacrifice so having both isn't a financially smart option.

Thoughts?
Don't get new. Those BMW convertibles fall in price relatively fast and you can find some used ones for significant savings. All you have to do is take your time and find a well maintained one because with BMW, mileage is not a big consideration, unlike Lotuses, where some owners commit suicide if they drive more than ten miles a week.

As for being selfish... life is short, who else are you living for? I have all the toys you named and more, and you know what? I love it. I work hard, I earned it, I spent it. Yeah, it's my life. I only get one, I am going to experience what I can before I get too old to enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I have a friend who's a tech at a BMW dealer and he says to stay away from the e93 without a warranty. Top repairs can get very expensive.. of course and a tech he only sees cars when they have problems.

·
Such Administrating
6,859 Posts
I have a friend who's a tech at a BMW dealer and he says to stay away from the e93 without a warranty. Top repairs can get very expensive.. of course and a tech he only sees cars when they have problems.
This is true, but with about every new hard top car. Any top issue on any new car with a hard top can possibly get pricey, not just bmw. The m3's actually seem to be pretty reliable from what I've seen (I work at bmw in parts and have worked for/around bmw for about 6 years). The e93's are bound to drop in price sometime soon seeing how the new m3 will be coming out in the next year or so.

·
Back to the Future, again
6,183 Posts
Any convertible will have problems after some time, because the hinges and mechanism for the top will get out of alignment or fail, because they are still mechanical parts and all mechanical parts fail, it's part of the ownership experience when owning a powered convertible. The only way you avoid a lot of the headaches is to have a manual top like the old Miata and even then you have to maintain the mechanism, just not as much.

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback guys... the top does look extremely complicated and I didn't really think about repairs.

I talked to my fiancee about this the other night. She said "absolutely not" to selling the Exige :) That's probably a large reason why I'm marrying her.

We will probably add a 328/335 convertible to the garage in a year or two.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts