The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Maniacal Motorist
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had posted a while back about not being able to shift into 5th gear (manual). Every other gear worked fine.

The problem is determined to be a shift rail detent ball that has gotten underneath the rail. Perhaps the rail was not fully seated when ball and spring were reinstalled. At any rate, short of pulling the engine back out, would there be any easier solution to retrieving it?

I am in desperate need of the technical and creative brilliance of the forum membership.

At least the rear clam is still off.

·
Illegal Alien
4,999 Posts
The shift dentent ball, cross gate detent ball, shift plate pin and shift & selector lever assemble should be removal without pulling the transmission.

I don't see from the diagrams that the detent ball can get below the rail, unless you are meaning under the inner shift lever as the shift rails holding the selector forks are operated by the actions of the up and down and rotational movement of the inner lever. If the ball fell out of the detent plug and fell into the workings then is should restrict the ability of the Inner Shift Lever to lower thus restricting access to reverse Gear as 5/6 section is at the top, also it would seem that if 5th is loved out this way then 6th would too.

Also if Shift detent ball is out of place then Neutral feel would have no centering action. If Crossgate detent ball was out of place you may not notice anything.

I would start by removing the Shift detent ball from transmission case side, confirm that detent unit is intact and confirm that the lever assembly is seated correctly. Best to refer to the Toyota EA60 manual, for disassembly/reassembly instructions

·
Maniacal Motorist
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is the ball that rests on the side of the inner shift rail, which holds the 5/6 selector fork. I was hoping to somehow finagle an extra half inch of travel so I might extract it. Inn my attempts, it seems there is no wiggle room.

·
Registered
466 Posts
So youve removed the indent spring and confirmed theres no ball im guessing?

"Perhaps the rail was not fully seated when ball and spring were reinstalled "

Was the selector assembly installed when you installed the indents? I would have thought that if the selector assembly was installed and the box/case was bolted up it wouldnt be possible for the shaft to over extend. It would be restricted by the selector.

So if theres a chance the selector wasnt installed when you installed the indent then maybe you can remove it and pull that shift rail up. (higher than what the selector would allow)

Then something magnetic down the indent hole (but not a magnet that will come off and make your life worse)

·
Maniacal Motorist
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No ball present where it belonged. Apparently the rail had enough play even with the selector installed for the ball to bypass. Putting the case on must've seated it proper.

In the proper 6th gear position, the rail only occludes the hole by about .25 in. The travel limit comes from the walls of the selector shaft/plunger cavity.

No easy way around it. More thorough bench testing next time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts