The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the Eagle's is going to be a mid engine but with 2 small rear seats, that would mean the engine would need to be pushed farther back toward the rear axel than other mid-engine cars. So, I suppose the handling characteristics would like a Boxster crossed with a 911?

Are there any other mid-engine cars (not FM engine) that have rear seats?

·
Registered
198 Posts
2+2

1980 Ferrari Mondial :shrug:

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
The Ferrari Mondial is the first to come to mind. The +2 doesn't necessitate that the engine is moved back, depending on what they do with the wheelbase. But yeah - it is a bit odd. Even so, I doubt that the engine would be moved behind the rear axle, so it won't exactly have 911 dynamics.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it sits above the rear axel, would that still be considered mid-engine? Well, that should help acceleration also.

I'm wondering how long the wheel base on the Eagle will be but I suspect it will have a slightly different feel that other mid-engine sports car. Maybe a mid-engine flavor with a touch of tail wag? :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
I betcha that the driver will be moved forward slightly and the engine would still sit in front of the rear axle. My guess is that Lotus will keep the front/rear balance of the car very close to the Elise platform.

I've heard rumours that there will be a 2 seater version as well as the 2+2.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I betcha that the driver will be moved forward slightly and the engine would still sit in front of the rear axle. My guess is that Lotus will keep the front/rear balance of the car very close to the Elise platform.

I've heard rumours that there will be a 2 seater version as well as the 2+2.

2 seater has been confirmed.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also wonder if the Eagle's body will be fiber glass or sheet metal.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Also wonder if the Eagle's body will be fiber glass or sheet metal.
Undoubtedly it'll be a composite. Rumours are that it's going to be a carbon composite too. No chance in hell it'll be a metal body.

·
Registered
592 Posts
The Ferrari/Dino GT4 and Maserati Merak were also mid-engine 2+2's in addition to the Mondial. None of these cars had great driving dynamics, packaging or sales. The mid-engine 2+2 configuration in the past has proven to be a compromise that most buyers do not appreciate. I wonder why Lotus thinks the Eagle will buck the trend?

·
Registered
362 Posts
The Matra M530 which came out back in 1967 was a 2+2 with a mid engine layout. It used the Ford Taunus motor which, being small, allowed them to put it behind the rear seat and in front of the axle with access through a cover on the rear parcel shelf which you could get to by lifting up the rear window. (Not a model of easy engine access)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts