The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yikes. That scared my cat.

I hope that was just it. Not that big of one.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
That's why I'm happier in Miami, although we have Hurricanes. :)

PS - What kind of forum addict goes online FIRST THING AFTER AN EARTHQUAKE and posts about it !!!! ;) :p

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
What magnitude ? You must be new to the southland, you'll get used to it. I've been near all the biggies in the last 35 years - Sylmar, Northridge, Loma Prieta....

They are scary though, no doubt.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
What magnitude ? You must be new to the southland, you'll get used to it. I've been near all the biggies in the last 35 years - Sylmar, Northridge, Landers....

They are scary though, no doubt.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
zOOmz said:
One that was browsing the forum?

:)

Hey I didn't mind the hurricanes as much as the waterspouts and lightning strikes.. :eek: I had some close encounters..

That little quake scared me, darn it! I am on the top of a Mesa on the top floor. This is the first one since I have been at this location. I didn't like that. -eek-

z

Only a 5.1 60miles away, back to work zoomz:D

A moderate earthquake occurred at 3:28:48 PM (PDT) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004.
The magnitude 5.1 event occurred 84 km (52 miles) WSW of Rosarito, Baja California, Mexico.
The hypocentral depth is 15 km ( 9 miles).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Magnitude 5.1 - body magnitude (Mb)
Time Tuesday, June 15, 2004 at 3:28:48 PM (PDT)
Tuesday, June 15, 2004 at 22:28:48 (UTC)
Distance from Rosarito, Baja California, Mexico - 84 km (52 miles) WSW (250 degrees)
Imperial Beach, CA - 90 km (56 miles) SW (231 degrees)
La Joya, Baja California, Mexico - 90 km (56 miles) WSW (243 degrees)
Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico - 95 km (59 miles) WSW (237 degrees)

Coordinates 32 deg. 4.0 min. N (32.066N), 117 deg. 51.8 min. W (117.864W)
Depth 15 km (9.3 miles)
Location Quality Poor
Location Quality Parameters Nst=012, Nph=012, Dmin=203.5 km, Rmss=1.6 sec, Erho=0 km, Erzz=0 km, Gp=241.2 degrees
Event ID# at00000169

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
I felt it! It shook my office/warehouse.

Not as bad as the one I experienced in Taipei 2 yrs ago. That one made me a bit sick...:(

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I was in Tokyo for a 6 pointer (about 10 miles away) last year and the whole terminal was bouncing (they put them on shocks) not a single Japanese person looked up from thier paper. A couple of Spanish people were not happy.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Earthquake! How is everyone in San Diego?

There was a (preliminary) 5.1 magnitude earthquake near Rosarito Beach in Baja California at 3:29 PM PDT. I hope all the San Diego Elisetalk forum members are OK. We felt it pretty well up in Irvine, CA.

Bob

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I cant believe it was as high as a 5! It's weird being in a building that was designed for earthquakes. It really didnt feel that strong at all.

But this is coming from my experience growing up in a 2 story wooden house in LA, where I experienced many much bigger earthquakes.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Earthquake!!!! That was some scary $hit. :eek: F#ck it, I'm moving back to France, oh wait... there's a bunch of French people there. I'll deal with the earth falling into the ocean! :D

Neil

·
Registered
220 Posts
Re: Re: Earthquake!!!

zOOmz said:
HEY!!! You stole my thread! :mad:

:p
No, he didn't. Notice the extra exclaimation mark. Obviously, Randy's cat was more scared than zOOmz. :D

·
Registered
971 Posts
I'm surprised it isn't on the Alaska Earthquake Iformation Center's website.

http://www.aeic.alaska.edu/Seis/recenteqs/index.html

They show several SW of Africa, around the Arabian Peninsula, even Mexico and the Fiji Islands, but not California. Odd.

It is pretty impressive how many small earthquakes there are every day. The last one I felt was the 7.9 one we had in Nov of '02.

Edit: I just had to scroll to the bottom of the page to find the link that led me here. http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Maps/118-33.htm

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
The earthquake ended up shifting the 1-ton magnet on my mass spectrometer so that our instrument wasnt working properly :(

So my boss and I had to spend a few hours this evening trying to retune the instrument, and for some miraculous reason, after some tweaking, the position that we shifted the magnet into now provided us with a better signal.

In non-geeky scientist terms: in the new position, the machine worked better :)

So good things sometime come out of earthquakes.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
didn't feel the quake. The last quake that rattled my house was the northridge quake in 1994.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Little Bastard said:
Earthquake!!!! That was some scary $hit. :eek: F#ck it, I'm moving back to France, oh wait... there's a bunch of French people there. I'll deal with the earth falling into the ocean! :D

Neil
Sacre Bleu ! :huh:

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
did you guys hear about the 50-50 chance of a large magnitude quake hitting Cali by Sept? Yeah, it was a prediction made based on a lot of data, etc earlier this year.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Felt it here in Mira Mesa--sounded like somebody walking on the roof at first, then my chair started shaking. My wife called me about two minutes later to say that she felt it at the old (current) house in Carlsbad. We drove out to the new house in Escondido for cleaning last night and saw that the French doors to the spare room (converted garage) were shaken open, but no other signs.

I've been here in California since January of 2000 and this was my third earthquake. I haven't yet experienced one that's done appreciable damage, so it's still my opinion that a snowstorm is *way* worse than an earthquake.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
As an Air Force brat, I lived in Japan for awhile. The papers would list the number of earthquakes that had happened the day before - usually around a hundred, but not that big.

I finished growing up in Southern California, so I experienced many earthquakes there.

I moved to Cheyenne, Wyoming for a temporary assignment. In the six years we were there, we and more tornado warnings than we could count. One storm particular storm had two tornadoes stalled near town, and dumped 6 inches of rain in 30 minutes...:huh: There were people hiding in their basements from the tornadoes that were drowned by the flash flood... :(

Back in '92, we lived in Running Springs (in the San Bernardino mountains) during the Landers 7.3 Earthquake followed a few hours later by the Big Bear 6.4 Earthquake. There were so many aftershocks to those two quakes, that after a couple of days, they didn't even report/announce them unless they were above 6.0 (which was a least once a day for a couple of weeks) - the 5.9 and lower ones were ignored...:crazyeyes The people in toward LA hardly noticed them...

Then we moved to Virginia. Within a few months, there was a massive storm with tornado that ripped up a town near here, killing a few. There are ice storms every winter, and hurricanes occasionally...

Is there actually "safe" weather anywhere???:confused:

Tim Mullen

1 - 20 of 22 Posts