The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone else feel it? About 0430 this am I awake to windows rattling, thought it was thunder, but no sound. Turns out there was a small quake with it's epicenter about 150 SE of the Quad Cities. 5.4 on Richter scale. Last earthquake I remember was '87 in northern MO, knocked half the water out of the aquarium.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I didn't feel it 'cause I live in Florida. I heard about it on the news. They said it was as large as the largest one in history (1968) in that region.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Sorry about that you guys. I was up all night fitting a home-made exhaust. Couldn't wait until morning to test it out.

xtn

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry about that you guys. I was up all night fitting a home-made exhaust. Couldn't wait until morning to test it out.

xtn
open headers and 4 inch test pipe huh?:D

·
Registered
509 Posts
I felt it around 5:15 this morning in holland/maumee Ohio crazy weird felling. the whole house was rattling as if a 747 flew inches above my house

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Cincinnati and N.KY got it too

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
What's cool is that we can figure out how fast the vibrations traveled! :D I never thought about this before!

The epicenter was at 38.450°N, 87.890°W, and the earthquake occurred at 0437 hrs and was felt 325 miles away approximately 40 minutes later indicating the vibrations travelled ~485 mph :)

That was fun!

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
Yep, felt it in Racine, WI. I was up due to my insomnia and it caused a very slight rocking motion to my house....almost like living next to the train tracks when a freight train rolls by. I hear it was a fairly severe earthquake in southern IL. :shrug:

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
two of the four dogs got a bit cranky and woofy and about 5:30 this morning. woke me up. it was either the faint seismic activity or their hungry bellies.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Only a 5.4? We don't even wake up out here in California unless it's higher than 6.

;)

·
Registered
856 Posts
I would have slept through it but my wife whacked my arm and started yelling that there was an earthquake. -eek-
To me it felt about the same as a train passing by, but we don't live near any train tracks. :shrug:

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Only a 5.4? We don't even wake up out here in California unless it's higher than 6.

;)
Heh. That reminds me of the first time I ever felt an earthquake. It was while in the Navy on Guam. Being a MI born boy, I had never experienced one before. It was something like 4:30 AM and I woke up to what I thought was someone picking up the end of my bunk and banging it up and down on the floor. So I shot up to tell whoever-it-was to knock it off only to find no one there. I was pretty confused and looked around wildly. I then noticed the lights swinging a bit from the ceiling and put 2 and 2 together. I jumped up a bit panicky and said, "Holy sh!t! It's an earthquake!" Well, the guy in the bunk across the room woke up from my shouting. He was from California. He growled, "Go back to bed. It's just a mild tremor." :eek:

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
It was felt in St. Louis. Actually I live just outside of St. Louis - to the west in St. Charles County. I have never felt or been through an earthquake in my life. I noticed it immediately and shot right up out of bed. I thought it was some strong wind at first - I could hear the house creaking lightly. I even have a Tempurpedic bed which would isolate some of the harshness. Certainly unexpected. :crazyeyes

I checked around the house for damage - so far I have noticed that some things I had hanging up in the garage fell down but didn't damage the car.

Now I am going to rethink how I have things placed in and around my home. For instance where I hang the shovel on the wall in the garage or mirrors hung on walls. I never really thought about this kind of thing.

It has always amused me how visitors from California sometimes seem so petrified about Tornados here in the mid west (as if it is a common occurance) anytime it rains but I have never been directly affected by one of those either all my life :shrug:- but usually those I know in California have experienced an earthquake in their lifetime.

What stinks is unless we live in some bubble with a science fiction type protective shield, there really isn't much you can do to protect yourself and everything. Lesson I am learning, be aware - do what you can and move on. :shift:

·
Registered
389 Posts
It woke me up - I thought my wife was moving her leg back and forth or something, but she wasn't. I fell back asleep and didn't even think of it again until someone emailed me that there was an earthquake.

There was one a few years ago too, and that one was louder than this one.

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
isnt southern il on one of the biggest faults as far as quakes go? not sure exactly what its called....faults?
also, the biggest quake to hit the area actually occured in the like the 1800's along that fault....

i slept through it. too bad for me. (the current one)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts