The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched the forum for this and didn't find the answer I came up with - close, but not quite - so I thought I'd share.

There's a thread about rear view cameras that suggests taking out the start panel, this gave me the idea.

Remove the passenger side cover that matches the start panel on the drivers side (the thing with the start button on it).

There are two philips head screws in the cubby hole. Remove them.

Once the screws are removed, the panel is secured by the top, which you slide up and swing the bottom out.

Then you have nice easy access (and lots of room for your coat hanger) to the chanel which runs in front of and under the airbag, right to the centre audio DIN space.

And pretty good access to the hole that leads up from below and through the trough.

I managed to get two fair sized RCA plugs through there - I wouldn't hold out high hopes for getting monster cable ends through that without drilling.

I've got a 2007 Elise if that makes any difference.

I put in a stealth box and they realy do fit in nicely.

Other things:
- don't be afraid to take the seats out, there's a great video on sector 111 that shows you how. It makes working on the inside of the car simple.
- take your roof off and with the seats out you can sit on the sills and have no space problems
- beware the fragile seatbelt shoulder belt covers. they're made of fragile stuff. The video doesn't show how to take them off - the hinge is on top (and its just a super thin bit of plastic) so you snap the bottom out and it lifts up.
- you can't get the passenger side shoulder belt bolt/cover off without either breaking it or taking out the passenger seat.
- you can thread wires through the firewall gromits or just drill a new hole and pop in your own gromit. Drilling is easy and as long as you're careful its WAY faster and WAY less frustrating. And you get to use a power tool :)

Best of luck.
BadMonkey72D

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I've searched the forum for this and didn't find the answer I came up with - close, but not quite - so I thought I'd share.
First... congrats on a successful install...

Second... there are lots of threads on stereo installs, including running wires behind the dash, and power wires through the firewall all the way to the battery. I found them very useful, and I also posted my install complete with pics...

Third... If you post about a mod, you're required to post pics as well... -poke-

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Second... there are lots of threads on stereo installs, including running wires behind the dash, and power wires through the firewall all the way to the battery. I found them very useful, and I also posted my install complete with pics...
Cool - now there's one more that others can find useful.

I didn't post pics because:
a) no digital camera
b) no cell phone with camera
c) already lots of pics out there :rolleyes:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts