The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 so the clear bra or ppf whatever you want to call it is all cracked and discolored. I would use a heat gun and scrape with plastic blades. There would still be a thin sticky layer left and I would have to use a 3m adhesive remover and a plastic blade to remove the remaining adhesive. This two step process only lets me remove about an inch at a time. Is there a quicker way?

·
Registered
857 Posts
I just got through doing it and found that Xylene works much better. Use the heat and plastic blade to get the plastic cover off and then soak a rag with Xylene and wipe. Repeat to soften the adhesive and wipe until the residue is off. I would do a 1' by 1' area at a time... Best of luck, this is one of the WORST jobs to do on these cars. Beer helps but be very careful with the scrapers as they can take out chunks of paint... :surprise:

·
Registered
857 Posts
Probably looked like this... I tried LOTS of solvents and xylene was the only thing that touched it. Just use in good ventilation!

Attachments

·
Supporting Vendor
4,197 Posts
Can you get hold of a steamer? That's how a shop removed mine. The PPF was still in great shape, so it came off real easy.
We had a local shop use the same steamer technique with good results. This is not a fun job!

·
Registered
857 Posts
Pretty much the same as far as I can tell. Best price is on Amazon, I paid 100% markup locally because I wanted to start that day.

·
shay2nak
24,937 Posts
Worth a shot. The pff wont come out in one piece though. It’s cracked all over the place.
That's ok. As long as it comes of easy! I was shocked how yellow the film was when they removed it (after 11 years). Made the color of my car look funny under the sunlight. And I only noticed it recently.

Probably looked like this... I tried LOTS of solvents and xylene was the only thing that touched it. Just use in good ventilation!
oh, damn! How the hell did it get like that?

·
Registered
857 Posts
Owner before me did not store the car in a garage. In Florida.... In South Florida.... dam shame.... Amazing thing is the paint and the interior look like new!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Clear Bra

I have a 2005 so the clear bra or ppf whatever you want to call it is all cracked and discolored. I would use a heat gun and scrape with plastic blades. There would still be a thin sticky layer left and I would have to use a 3m adhesive remover and a plastic blade to remove the remaining adhesive. This two step process only lets me remove about an inch at a time. Is there a quicker way?
jaybalin,

Check out the graphic attached below. This should give you a good idea on how to remove the film along with the info we've added from XPEL.com/Care
Screen Shot 2018-07-25 at 5.30.00 PM.png
Removing Paint Protection Film
Professional removal of the film is recommended. However, when professional removal is not possible, the film may be removed as follows:

Removal of paint protection film should be done with a steamer. It will keep the film pliable and wet so that it can be “stretched” off the vehicle.
Peel one corner of the film up with your fingernail.
Pull the film towards you at a shallow angle less than 45 degrees (see figure 8a). This angle is important to ensure sure that the adhesive comes off with the film rather than staying on the paint. The film should “stretch” off the car.
If any adhesive is left on the car, use a general adhesive remover to help loosen it.
See our Paint Protection Film Frequently Asked Questions page for more info. Click here.

We hope that once you remove the film that you consider having the latest and greatest clear bra installed. Let us know if we can help in any way or answer any questions.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Replaced the rear(s) and both side(s) recently and replaced with XPEL.

Be prepared to invest some time, patience, and work some muscles you haven't used in a while.

Did the removal with a plastic razor blade knife, plenty of replacement blades, micro-fiber cloths, and about 5 cans of Turtle Wax sticker remover.

Let the spray remover get to the point of almost starting to dry -- re-wet the aware and go at it, finding the first edges starting to lift and work your way through small areas at a time.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-T-529-Sticker-Remover/dp/B004M3F5CO[/ame]

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks for the pic. my pff pretty much looks like that. i may pick up a quart of xylene at home depot. definitely using it outdoors and i have an n95 mask just in case.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
For what it's worth...I wanted to add that you can pick up a steamer real cheap on eBay or Amazon.
They work amazingly well for a variety of uses, including removing a decal that the previous owner put on top of the defroster lines of my rear window. No dangerous fumes or odor either...a very important point since I have parrots at home. :smile2:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I found that using a steamer, plastic razor blades and Rapid Remover worked the best. Was really impressed with the Rapid Remover, worked better than the 3M one and anything else I tried. No matter what, it's a horrible job. Good Luck!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Be careful with solvents. Your cars clear coat will likely not be affected by them, but if you have say a stone chip that goes through the clear the xylene will interact with and strip the paint in and around that stone chip basically making a hole down to the primer in that spot.

Clear bras like vinyl wrap are removable coatings that people find out too late agent very removable. That's why my opinion changed about all of these "removable" products. After you've removed them once or twice you realize and paper and solvent make regular paint pretty "removable"

1 - 20 of 30 Posts