The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,509 Posts
Another trick I used a few times when I took stuff off my Evora and Elise was a painters Halogen light. Don't cook things, but a nice warm surface makes things much more pliable. As pic shoed you, pull up and stretch to detach, I'd avoid the scraper if at all possible. I'd rather just repaint a nose than deal with this damn stuff ever again. It is a flawed product esp as it ages. Even 50-75 yr old Ferraris have this really cool thing called PATINA.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has any ever tried a “3M eraser wheel”. You can get them on amazon for about $35. It looks terrifying to use, like it would marr the finish easily but the videos I’ve watched prove otherwise. I’m considering buying a wheel and testing out removing the 3M clear bra on a mirror on my 06 chili red Elise. Easier to remove and repaint a mirror than fix the clam. I attached a link to a good YouTube video showing the eraser wheel in action. Anyone that has tried this please share your experience.

My car’s clear bra in the pic (15 years old)

YouTube video in action (not me)

·
Registered
819 Posts
I've used a steamer, a heat gun and the eraser wheel on multiple Eliges to remove PPF.

The eraser wheel is the last option in my book but when the PPF is old and in sad shape, it's probably your only option.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
I have had good luck with an IR heat lamp on a stand. The key is to heat the adhesive under the film. IR penetrates the film and eases the adhesive. I started at a corner, slowly lifting and moving the lamp as the film lifted. If the film gets too hot it tears.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Interesting. Have you guys experienced any paint coming off with the PPF when in the removal process, whether it be with the eraser wheel or the steamer method? Honestly that is my biggest fear. I have a few stone chips on my car and I’m worried paint may want to lift at the chip with the PPF as it’s coming off.

How many hours am I looking at for full PPF 3M removal?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm doing it right now on my 2006 baked-on starshield. I'm using a hair dryer, plastic razor blade and "Rapid Remover"

They work great together... you scrape off the plastic top layer with the hair dryer to soften the glue, then you spray the remaining glue with the rapid remover, then scrape the glue, more remover, scrape glue.

It's easy but time consuming. Careful not to leave the hair dryer pointed at the paint when you're scraping. It's easy to bubble.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Awesome. Thank you all for your input. I just ordered an eraser wheel, plastic razor blades and adhesive remover. Just gonna go find a steamer or heat gun and I’ll start this soon. I’ll update with what works for me.

·
Registered
50 Posts
God Im lucky, I did some paint work on the bottom/front spoiler and the bra around the work just pealed away easily. 07 with 30k, so probably not in the sun much. Also im in arizona so the car was probably 85-95 degrees. I was thinking of replacing the bra, or just the spots I removed, but I may not now. I may even pull all the bras while they come off easily, probably not as I keep it garaged nd work from home

·
Plural of Lotus is Lotus
327 Posts
Hours and hours....................and hours. 05 Elise and I've removed all of it. Bonnet, lower front, both rockers and both rears. No easy way. heat gun to soften film, plastic blades, then apply 3M, Turtle Wax, etc adhesive remover. Let it coagulate for a while (few minutes) then scrape again, apply again, coagulate again, scrape again, etc, etc, etc.

How much is a new clam? Might be worth it! :) By far on of the more frustrating jobs on the car to date. Oh yeah, removal of the drivers side rocker did lift some clear coat. Small job for the shop though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'd add that getting the starshield really heatsoaked and carefully pulling on it (after establishing a grab point with the plastic razor) is much less likely to damage the paint. I learned the hard way by using the plastic razor and heat to aggressively.

If you can wrangle a helper, one person pulling and the other running the heat gun can get pretty efficient at pulling the film off. Once you find the right heat the film peels away easily--but it's tricky to get the temp correct where it's loose enough to separate from the body, but not so hot as to tear.

There is still residue to solvent away after pulling the film off, but that's not difficult.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts