The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Simply remove the aluminum panel covering the recirculation intake on both the drivers & passenger side footwell by drilling out the pop rivets. You can either remove the whole panel or leave the two top rivets in and bend it up, as per photo. Ideally, couple this with taping over the two intake vents in the nose and you WILL see a noticeable increase in air flow though the cockpit vents. The only disadvantage is that in cool weather you could notice a draft coming though, but then it could be easily blocked up. I have made many other improvements to help my A/C work better, but this is the easiest, with the greatest noticeable effect.
P.S. What you see is insulation which is hardly noticeable from a normal prespective.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Any pictures?

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Is the one on the passenger side where the air comes out of the footwells?

I have seen pictures of some European models and they dont have the area covered up, wonder why they do this in the US?

Are they afraid our smelly foot odor will get sucked into the vents?

Attachments

·
Registered
429 Posts
Viper - great idea. I need all the a/c help I can get in South Georgia. Do you have a pic of the two intakes in the nose to tape over ?

Todd :)

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The drivers side one was blocked of by Lotus because of complaints about cold air entering in cold weather. Cold air could enter on both sides.
Is the one on the passenger side where the air comes out of the footwells?

I have seen pictures of some European models and they dont have the area covered up, wonder why they do this in the US?

Are they afraid our smelly foot odor will get sucked into the vents?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
In this photo they have not been taped over yet.
I wonder if taping these vents up front would deliver alittle more airflow the the radiators? I'm having cooling issues after adding another heat exchanger (for a charge cooler) in front of my radiator.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Viper

You gotta help me out a little , where are these vents and which ones are you talking about, draw a arrow on the pic for me and how do I get to them?

Todd

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Sorry I was not clearer. Look through the front center nose grill and you will see them at the back. Remove the grill by pulling out of the 4 top retaining clips. I taped mine using black duct tape.
Viper

You gotta help me out a little , where are these vents and which ones are you talking about, draw a arrow on the pic for me and how do I get to them?

Todd

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
The drivers side one was blocked of by Lotus because of complaints about cold air entering in cold weather. Cold air could enter on both sides.

Guess they dont know that the coldest is gets at night in Florida during the winter is about 40 and then it goes up into the 60's so the heater should be able to overcome a little bit of a draft.

We are bitching about how the a/c doesnt work well in the summer in FL but
I wonderi if the heater works ok in the winter for people up north.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Ok Viper, I will get right on it along with the inside footwell tip. I live just across the state line from Jacksonville, give me a shout if you ever get up this way. I am just off of I-95 here.

I am thinking about insulating like you did with some FatMat that I have left over from another project it is really a great product and will deaden road noise too.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Ok -

I just got done taping over the outside air intake vents behind the grill, on my car both sides of the passenger compartment is blocked off, I took a couple of quick photos, below.

Should I drill out the rivets and remove BOTH plates blocking these, for better A/C cooling ?

Thanks

Todd :wave:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The passenger side is open, just bent down from the top, take a closer look and feel along the top with your fingers. On the drivers side you can drill out all 4 rivets and remove the panel completely, or just drill out 2 and bend.
Ok -

I just got done taping over the outside air intake vents behind the grill, on my car both sides of the passenger compartment is blocked off, I took a couple of quick photos, below.

Should I drill out the rivets and remove BOTH plates blocking these, for better A/C cooling ?

Thanks

Todd :wave:

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good job, you are quick Todd. By removing the passenger panel it could help, I really don't know, but it can't do any harm, go for it.:)
Ok - done with that one too. Would taking out the passenger side cover help anymore since it is open at the top ?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Viper... Thanks so much for suggesting this mod. Going to do it tonight. The swampy humidity of the Washington, DC-area summers can be a real killer!

Before I do this, however, would you mind explaining in a bit more detail exactly why it is that taping over the two intake vents in the nose makes such a difference? And, is there any downside to doing so?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It is known that the "recirculation flap valve" can leak, permitting outside air in even though it is closed, therefore to make sure that only cooled interior air is used the fresh air intakes are blocked. There is no disadvantage to blocking them off.
Viper... Thanks so much for suggesting this mod. Going to do it tonight. The swampy humidity of the Washington, DC-area summers can be a real killer!

Before I do this, however, would you mind explaining in a bit more detail exactly why it is that taping over the two intake vents in the nose makes such a difference? And, is there any downside to doing so?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I want to stress that this mod was only one of three phases that I did to get the most from the system.

1) Insulate the cockpit from two heat sources.
a) Solar - tinted all glass with ONLY 3M Crystalline
b) Convected - hot coolant, heater & oil pipes in sills and front firewall

2) Replace capillary tube evaporator thermostat with an upgraded electronic version.

3) Increase airflow by opening drivers side intake vent and blocking outside air vents.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Sorry I was not clearer. Look through the front center nose grill and you will see them at the back. Remove the grill by pulling out of the 4 top retaining clips. I taped mine using black duct tape.
"4 top retaining clips"...Where are they exactly? How do i get to them?

1 - 20 of 189 Posts