The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone removed the panel in the boot that gives access to the rear bank of coil packs/plugs? On the surface is appears to only be held in place by six 8mm bolts. However, on mine at least, it was also held in place by a liberal application of epoxy. It took me 45 minutes using a screwdriver to carefully cut/pry the metal panel away without bending or breaking anything. Was this a mistake, or am I missing the reason why they would glue the access panel shut? As far as I can tell, it is the only way to access the rear bank of plugs without major surgery. Pic of the panel once removed below.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Lynn, What did you need to access back there. Plugs good for ~100K. Bad coil??
It is meant to be a fireproof wall. On a good note, they took it seriously!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put copper plugs in because I like to tinker and don't mind changing them every oil change. I know I'm weird. Also my cold startup (after sitting for a couple of days) is really rough. I am mildly curious to see if new plugs help that. Again, just tinkering.

There is a heat shield hatch on the other side of the metal hatch - it was easy to remove - 4 bolts. So it seems the boot is well protected.

It just seemed odd to have glued the metal panel to the fiberglass. But I'm a software guy, so WTF do I know.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
40 Posts
The boot needs to be sealed in order to keep water out. If you've noticed during car washes or rain showers, the engine compartment gets wet. I guess gluing keeps the water from entering the boot. Lotus takes water intrusion very seriously!:)

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
The exception being AC water. They consider that recycling.

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Mine was exactly the same. When i Installed the exhaust system that panel had to be removed and it took me about 30 minutes to remove it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts