The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Vendor
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, it has taken me forever to get around to this, but finally went and did some back to back comparison of the stock car vs. the Blackwatch Racing TB(2005) + Intake. As we've discussed in the past, putting an intake on makes noise but little power as it is going through the stock throttlebody. Its like 2 kinks in the same hose. You're not gonna get the full flow until their both gone.

So I did an A to B comparison between stock and with Airbox and Intake + TB. The results were not surprising, but favorable nonetheless. We picked up max of +10HP and +7lb-ft! Everything else is stock including exhaust. Didn't even port match the intake, which is probably worth a couple more ponies. You could feel the difference as it smooths out the cam transition and pulls harder from 5500rpm up. Finally something for the NA guys as well as FI guys.

This throttlebody is not a re-bore with paper thin walls. It is a fully cast part with pressed in bearings, beveled throttle plate, throttle set screw, and 70mm opening. Just pull off the stock TB, swap the sensor, and spring over, IAT control and you're done. It took me about 30 minutes.

Regular price is $695, for a limited time, we've got them on sale for $495.

Big-Bore Throttle Body for 2005 Elise, Lotus Intake Products - Blackwatch Racing

See the dyno below:

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,111 Posts
sorry to be a spoiler, but won't the Learn Function on on ECU cancel out this increase after a short period...?

This will definitely benefit FI engines more than NA's, because the dyno shows the gains after the high-lift cam engagement.

thanks

·
shay2nak
25,132 Posts
are you guys planning DBW TBs?

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
sorry to be a spoiler, but won't the Learn Function on on ECU cancel out this increase after a short period...?

This will definitely benefit FI engines more than NA's, because the dyno shows the gains after the high-lift cam engagement.

thanks
That's my first concern as well.

However, with the Charlie NA tune, which... (excuse me for possibly making crap up) it might.. not... relearn .. unfavorably??... Been reading so much stuff lately it all seems like someone mashed my brains.

Anyway, with the intake manifold i've been hearing about, a new TB, and a header, a custom tune might be time and money well spent, if you wanna stay NA.

·
shay2nak
25,132 Posts
Anyway, with the intake manifold i've been hearing about, a new TB, and headers, a custom tune might be time and money well spent, if you wanna stay NA.
yeah, that combo should be pretty badass.

·
Vendor
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

thanks
No, additional airflow is additional airflow. I let the car idle for 10 minutes and drove it some to settle the adaption. The AFRs were very similar.

·
Registered
821 Posts
What intake was this done in combo with? I personally have no qualms with the stock airbox. esp after reading all the threads about ECU learning curve. And you guys don't list an intake For Sale...so makes me a curious little rabbit

I'd be curious of a 2 wk post dyno...just to settle the minds of some...

·
Vendor
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What intake was this done in combo with? I personally have no qualms with the stock airbox. esp after reading all the threads about ECU learning curve. And you guys don't list an intake For Sale...so makes me a curious little rabbit

I'd be curious of a 2 wk post dyno...just to settle the minds of some...
This particular test was done with a Fujita. We'll see about getting out and getting another dyno.

BavMo, we'll see about an '06.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
It’s not even on my wish list. Now if it was good on an 06 and up then I would definitely be thinking about it.

·
Registered
821 Posts
This particular test was done with a Fujita. We'll see about getting out and getting another dyno.

BavMo, we'll see about an '06.
I'd like to see a Dyno of stock intake (desnorkel'd) and this TB....that's assuming the stock hose will fit over the mouth of this TB.:confused:

Or setup a intake/TB kit. as there are a few things I want to order from you guys. why not just get them all knocked out in one fatal blow?

·
Vendor
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'd like to see a Dyno of stock intake (desnorkel'd) and this TB....that's assuming the stock hose will fit over the mouth of this TB.:confused:

Or setup a intake/TB kit. as there are a few things I want to order from you guys. why not just get them all knocked out in one fatal blow?
The stock airbox is sized with the stock throttlebody, change one and you get a minimal change because the other one is still a flow restriction.

We are working on an intake package also. However as there are many folks with the Fujita, we thought this was relevant as well.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Fred, how do you think (guess) this TB would pair up with a Cup airbox?
(Asking in context of a DBW version.)

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Set up Q

let me add another scenario:

cup air box+katana+NEW Throttle body=?? HP increase

·
Vendor
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
let me add another scenario:

cup air box+katana+NEW Throttle body=?? HP increase
Obviously, I can only speculate. My XP car is Supercharged, with lots of mods but also has the big-bore TB. Positive Displacement(BWR/Katan)Superchargers in general are more receptive to intake mods(or turbos on suction side). One of the big things for more power on a SC mustangs are bigger TB.

Its kind of like getting a really thick shake and trying to suck it up through the straw. The narrower the bore of the straw the harder it is. You only have from 14.7psi of suction power maximum i.e. atmospheric pressure to vacuum. However if you blow into the straw it is no problem to blow bubbles in the shake. You can always generate pressures above atmospheric. McDonalds solved this with Big-Bore straws. Their new vanilla shakes are excellent BTW....

So you got a cup car Airbox to open up the first part of the hose.... One more kink to go.

·
Vendor
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Awesome news and results Fred. Can't wait to try it with the Lotus Sport ECU.

Knucklehead, I think you'll like it. It matches your seat. :D

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Q Part Deux

Obviously, I can only speculate. My XP car is Supercharged, with lots of mods but also has the big-bore TB. Positive Displacement(BWR/Katan)Superchargers in general are more receptive to intake mods(or turbos on suction side). One of the big things for more power on a SC mustangs are bigger TB.

Its kind of like getting a really thick shake and trying to suck it up through the straw. The narrower the bore of the straw the harder it is. You only have from 14.7psi of suction power maximum i.e. atmospheric pressure to vacuum. However if you blow into the straw it is no problem to blow bubbles in the shake. You can always generate pressures above atmospheric. McDonalds solved this with Big-Bore straws. Their new vanilla shakes are excellent BTW....

So you got a cup car Airbox to open up the first part of the hose.... One more kink to go.
+a vanila shake!!:D
are they still on sale?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts