The Lotus Cars Community banner

141 - 160 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
1,432 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Can I install the Spectre velocity Funnel number 8788 on my exige S ???

What is the number of the green filter ??? Where can I order it ???

I found on ebay a K and N air Filter model #332252 that would fit but which one is better ? Everybody here talk about the green filter. K and N has always been a leader in the filter industry but may be another comapny came up with something even better ???

here is the link : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/K-N-AIR-FILTER-332252-03-07-PONTIAC-VIBE-1-8L_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33659QQihZ012QQitemZ220145992049QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V#ebayphotohosting

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
The airbox on the S is the same as on the Elise, so it will fit. I believe shay2nak and qball mentioned having done it to their cars earlier in the thread.

You can get the Green filter from Robert at Blackwatch. Supposedly they flow better than a K & N because they don't have the black molded strip around the perimeter of the screen, thus giving more filtration area. After I got one for my Elise, I bought one for my Mini, replacing a K & N. I measured about 20% more filtration area on the Green. It fit better than the K & N, too.

http://www.greenfilterusa.com/why.asp

·
Registered
948 Posts
are you sure it fit better than the K and N for the Lotus too ???

·
Registered
948 Posts
Do I need a 3inches coupler or a 2.5'' to fit on the stock airbox and the velocity funnel ????

·
Registered
948 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
For those of you out there that are not pevie to this info through school or reading up you self this will explain how/why the Vstack works

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernoulli's_principle

note: you will have to reverse the picture at the botom, (i.e.- vel stack goes big to small)

but some out there already know this or if you don't really care how/why it works please don't throw stones at me.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
so, i went to auto zone, and advanced auto, and pepboys, and even napa.

no one has it.

auto zone said (the only ones to know what the hell i was describing) they had a recall and sent theirs back a few weeks ago.

:shrug:

·
Registered
948 Posts

·
shay2nak
24,930 Posts
sorry wasn't online yesterday.

the funnel is 8788 (2.5")
the coupler is 8771 (3")

I bought both of them from local Pep Boys. I think i bought them in March. I was there 2 weeks ago and may have still seen them there.

Attachments

·
shay2nak
24,930 Posts
Do I need a 3inches coupler or a 2.5'' to fit on the stock airbox and the velocity funnel ????
get the 3"

don't get those. you need a straight one. check the pic above.

You should read this thread because you can't just attach the coupler to the air box. YOu'll have to cut one side of the end to give it an angle so it will mate with the upward opening of the airbox...you will see when you remove the snorkel.

Q

·
0 Posts
get the 3"

don't get those. you need a straight one. check the pic above.
I disagree, actually the 45 degree bend couple works better. I tried both, and the clearance on my Exige S fenders was too tight. With the flexing of the engine and the car body, it kept popping off since it was pressed so tight against the inside of the fender.

Unfortunately, 45 degree 3" elbows were hard to come by locally.

The 45 degree elbow also enables you to slightly angle the funnel towards the fender inlet.

·
shay2nak
24,930 Posts
Actually... the 45 degree bend couple works better. I tried both, and the clearance on my Exige fenders was not good.

Unfortunately, 45 degree 3" elbows are hard to come by.
oh really? I thought there was an argument about that (saying the 45 deg caused turbulence in the air flow???) and folks just decided to use the straight one. My Pep Boys had them at the time.

I guess unless the elbow has a smooth transition. Like a quarter circle. No way that would fit though.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I should get my parts this week, the velocity funnel, 3'' inches 45degree coupler and the K and N Filter for a total of 115$. I'll take some pictures of the install and let you know my first impressions. I hope I'm not going to get any trouble to install the filter...I cant wait anymore!!!

·
Registered
948 Posts
I got the coupleur today. It is always faster when you order on ebay.;) Here is some pictures... it is bigger then any other coupler I 've ever seen before. It is really good quality. Now if it will fit nice on the car it is another story.Should get the rest soon ( velocity + KandN filter ) and will proceed with the install :D

Attachments

·
Registered
948 Posts
I would like but It take 2 weeks to get my parts from the U.S..... Need to be patient..

141 - 160 of 210 Posts