The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,515 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Looks great. Don't know if it could be imported from Canada..
beautiful car

It's over 25 years old so importing shouldn't be an issue as DOT and EPA rules no longer apply to it

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Looks great. Don't know if it could be imported from Canada.

BUT, as far as mechanicals...that car has sat still for long periods of time for its entire life. There could be a pack of problems under that pretty paint and virgin leather.
Exactly what I was thinking. This is a "set it and forget it" car. Best off in some collection, stored in a climate controlled garage amongst hundreds of other collectibie cars.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
beautiful car

It's over 25 years old so importing shouldn't be an issue as DOT and EPA rules no longer apply to it
But aren't some cars, like the 340R, never eligible to be imported and registered? Not saying this one would be on that list, but pretty sure some are forever prohibited from importation and registration.

·
Registered
184 Posts
They can be imported. I think the issue is they just cannot be street registered. Dave Schmid here in Atlanta used to track a 340 regularly in the early 2000s when we would go to Road Atlanta. It was a cool little car.

But aren't some cars, like the 340R, never eligible to be imported and registered? Not saying this one would be on that list, but pretty sure some are forever prohibited from importation and registration.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Depending on the reserve price, I think it's worth spending the time/money to recommission it for regular road use if you really wanted this model.

In the end, you would have a brand new 1986 car.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
The 340R is a bad example..... Any car can be imported under Show and Display provided it meets the requirements - however they are very strict rules and it's hard to get cars approved. This Esprit (if newer) may squeak through as it offers some extra value of uniqueness being the Expo car. Saying that the Esprit was officially imported back then also so it may not be an issue.

All this goes out the window when a car turns 25, because at that point DOT and EPA no longer require waivers for the car to be imported. (I don't remember which one, but its 23 years for one and 25 for the other) hence why this Esprit wouldn't be an issue.

The 340R and S1 Elises are banned from being imported under Show & Display as someone tried to import them but the government decided that they didn't meet the requirements so they were put on the non allowed list:( I'm just not sure how that will effect them when they turn 25, ie if the Show & Display ban is forever or the 23/25year time frame supersedes it)

basically if it's over 25 there are no issues in bringing a car in

if it's under 25, meets the requirements of the show and display and is not on their banned list then there's a chance you can get one in (one you have the cash to make it conform to the emissions requirements of the year it was produced)

They can be imported. I think the issue is they just cannot be street registered. Dave Schmid here in Atlanta used to track a 340 regularly in the early 2000s when we would go to Road Atlanta. It was a cool little car.
I'm not 100% sure of the rules on importing a not for road use car, like the 340Rs. Obviously Lotus sent some over some 340Rs, S1 Elises, 211s and the upcoming Exige S as 'track' cars only. I believe any car can be imported as a non/off road use car provided it is imported as such and the paperwork means it cannot ever be registered for road use

·
Super Moderator
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FYI the VIN says its a 50 state car. I agree it's been sitting long but still an interesting car to refresh the mechanicals and drive the wheels off like it was meant to be ;-)

·
Super Moderator
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
After seeing the low mileage Jim Clark #16 of 20 Esprit go for about $26K (failed to meet reserve) and this low mileage G car go for $24K, it's pretty clear the market is definitely shrinking fast.

Or also the bad economy crimping the buying of cool toys.

11/05/12 - archiving this info for future reference ;-)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

SCCFC20A9GHF60733

ATTENTION COLLECTORS: 1986 LOTUS ESPRIT EXPO 86 UK PAVILION DISPLAY VEHICLE

1986 LOTUS ESPRIT TURBO HCI
DISPLAY CAR FOR EXPO 86 UK PAVILLION

THIS VEHICLE WAS PURCHASED FROM LOTUS DIRECTLY AFTER EXPO 86 AND PUT INTO A COLLECTION FOR MOST OF ITS LIFE.
IT CURRENTLY HAS JUST OVER 1,000 MILES ON IT AND IS ORIGINAL IN EVERY SENSE.
ALL ORIGINAL DECALS, TIRES, EXCELLENT SEATS, PAINT ARE SHOWROOM NEW.
HAVE THE ORIGINAL BILL OF SALE FROM MARCH 9TH, 1987 WHEN THIS CAR WAS PURCHASED NEW.

LOOKING FOR A TRUE LOTUS ENTHUSIAST TO TAKE OWNERSHIP OF THIS CAR.

NOTE: LAST PICTURE SHOWN WAS TAKEN DURING EXPO 86 WHEN THE CAR WAS ON DISPLAY

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
After seeing the low mileage Jim Clark #16 of 20 Esprit go for about $26K (failed to meet reserve) and this low mileage G car go for $24K, it's pretty clear the market is definitely shrinking fast.

Or also the bad economy crimping the buying of cool toys.
It wasn't #16. That is the one that I had and it was turned into a track car. I think it was #10.

The 03 that just went for $55k on eBay shows that there are still buyers willing to pay a premium. I remember reading that they had trouble selling these final cars new, and it's possible that same 03 may have sold for only a little more new than it did 10 years later.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Wow that was well purchased.
Despite sitting for a while this car probably has no stories and just looks mint.
Super jealous. :)

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Red with the Ivory interior must be very rare as most were tan. If you look at the details the interior says 'Tan' big difference. Could be a typo on eBay, picture shows it all.

Damn fine example. Lowest mileage 'For Sale' I've seen yet and have been following prices for 10+ years. Personally I thought that was a steal as in 1987 these cars were selling for almost 60k.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Who ever bought this car got a GREAT deal. Are you on this forum?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts