The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my past post I learned that the Elise can not be imported to Canada from the USA. So why when I search ebay I find people selling the cars to USA and Canada and they are situated in the United States? Is this different then importing it? Also would this be an issue here in Canada?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yes it is different.
You can buy one from the US you just can't get it registered up there.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Ebay is a magnet for crooks. Yes there are a lot of legit transactions, but it provides an easy way for people to rip off others. Can you tell I've had bad Ebay experiences? ;)

·
Registered
485 Posts
let's make it simple. Legally you cannot take a US spec elise from USA to Canada. Does not matter if you buy from ebay, a dealer or private party.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Got my 2006 Elise off of eBay through Symbolic Motors of San Diego, CA. I paid $38500 for it last year with 6 miles on it.
My wife makes sportbike seatcovers and sells primarily through eBay, but her website is customseatcreations.com
Since purchases are done through PayPal, shipment is guaranteed or your money back, and fraudulent sellers are banned after refund, which is now very rare an occurrence.
Since most people go through a bank to purchase a car, it's the bank's car, not yours really, so bank lawyers are quite good at getting cars if something is fishy.
My last several cars were purchased through eBay at a phenomenal discount. I recommend it.
As for gray-market transactions, I believe as long as you pay the required taxes and have the vehciles inspected, Canada to US auto-transactions are no big deal. Case in point, I wanted a Pontiac Turbo Firefly Special Edition with the 10-speaker BOSE option (pretty much a turbo-Metro). Cost of transaction through customs was approximately $1000.

·
Registered
485 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Well that's just crazy! Learn somethin' new everyday! Honestly having lived on the Canadian border for several years, I don't see how someone could drive an Elise on those roads. More like rocky paths than roads. You'd have to take a dentist with you to replace your fillings every 2000 kilometers. I hope the western territories are better maintained. I used to work with a Canadian Air Force captain, "Boileau". Nice guy. When I'd see him I'd always give him $1 saying he should put that in the Canadian road fund to try to make the roads better. Interestingly, he'd always pocket the dollar.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts