1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Does look nice. And no reserve Esprit auctions are always interesting to me. Considering the small number of potential buyers at any given time, it's pretty risky to go no reserve.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I see the seller also wants a "dealer fee" of $300 which in my opinion should really be called a junk fee as it's really just additional money and profit for the seller over and above the agreed selling price.

When buying a new car last year, I even had one dealership tell me that it was a legal requirement, yea right! I may have been born at night but it wasn't last night.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
It's a decent S4s but needs some work. The owner won't take anywhere near 20K for it though. It's a little overpriced at this point...

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Looks like a no reserve auction. Not good practice to back out if you aren't going to sell it at the final price.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
It's not 20K, he wants 30K or close to that for it.

No reserve doesn't mean much, he can pull the auction anytime he wants...

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
After a certain time before closing (12 hours), you can not pull the auction. He could see himself being sued to sell the car at the closing price. It's much harder on the sellers than the flakey buyers.

"You can't end a listing less than 12 hours before the end of the listing if the item has a winning bid:
You may cancel bids, but not end the item unless you are selling the item to the high bidder. To do this, go to the End My Listing Early form and select "Sell to the high bidder".
You can't add to or change the item description."

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
So what happens when you reserve the right to sell the item locally?
As long as it happens before the 12 hour mark you can get away with it.

But that whole "I reserve the right to end the auction early" business is just people making up crap as they go. That's against the eBay legal agreement for listing the auction.

And the problem with pulling the auction before the 12 hours are up is you'll never know what the car was going to sell for. Most serious bidders wait until the end to place their bids, so the price leading up to those last hours means nothing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had a 95 S4 white/gray that was pulled from me by two different owners...I was the top bidder and the auction was taken down before the end on each one. Both were early in the auction but had met reserve. In both cases, I was told that the car had sold locally. Some people use the auction to garner new buyers rather than actually sell the car. Interestingly, I saw that the latest owner is on here...and paid less for the car than I had bid... I guess the old phrase...bird in the hand is worth more than two in the bush...applies here. Personally when I sell/buy on ebay I let it run to the end; then you have a binding contract.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts