The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
people selling spots for 5000.00 now...bids not going up any more than that already...free mkt at work!...guess only few people got away with 15-20K markup...I remember E46 M3 was like that too when it first came out...craziness lasted only few wks.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
mact3333 said:
people selling spots for 5000.00 now...bids not going up any more than that already...free mkt at work!...guess only few people got away with 15-20K markup...I remember E46 M3 was like that too when it first came out...craziness lasted only few wks.
I have not seen a successful auction that ended over $8k. Succesful meaning one that the parties involved left feedback for each other and the spot was not relisted.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Randy, wouldnt think there could be any positive feedback yet cause nobody has received their cars yet...:)...my only point was showing that people are no longer bidding it up to 20K anymore.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The bids that got up that high were probably a scam anyway. A few folks with legit ebay ids working the system to try to get one outsider to bite at 10K...

·
Registered
368 Posts
frankk said:
The bids that got up that high were probably a scam anyway. A few folks with legit ebay ids working the system to try to get one outsider to bite at 10K...
As I said in the Ebay Scum thread, the sellers I talked to had either been scammed or the person who was the high bidder claimed to not know that it was for a spot and not the car, in other words they backed out. Looking at some of the bidding you can see some userids reappear and in two cases the same userid was high bidder in both cases.

There are even some that closed for under 5K where the seller still hasn't received the initial deposit yet (with remainder due when the car is picked up)

So yes, I think it is cooling off some and that people who pay attention recognize overbidding when they see it.

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
the auctions will most definitely increase when the car is out. M3s? Always a ton of M3s on eBay. Elise will be no different. Especially when some of us sell our Elises to buy Exiges!!!

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I've had several people call tell me the car is featured on the cover of Car and Driver. I think it is going to be in Road & Track in August.

Once people get the magazine, and see the car on the street, they will be going to the dealers, only to find out that they are sold out for the next two years. The Car and Driver article didnt mention this. Some people will think that the dealers lots will be filled up with them. Even if you get on the list with a 3 year wait, the exemption ends in about 2 years, so your car will be completley different when you get it.

I remember how the waiting lists when from the single digits to over 100 in some places last October after the Road and Track article hit. We aint seen nothing yet!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Oh yeah, watch when the cars get here- people will see them on the street, on TV, etc. and will be heading to the dealers only to find that they can't get the car for a couple of years. Where will they turn? Ebay, AutoWeek classifieds, Dupont Registry...

It's NOTHING now. Prepare for the FRENZY!

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Based off what I've been reading on this site, as well as others, no dealer is going to allow a stranger to take the car in place of the original orderer. This would
mean that the original buyer would have to purchase and possibly register the car,
not to mention waiting for the title to arrive before he could begin the process of re-selling the vehicle. He would have also paid his tax on the vehicle, totaling
$3,000 or more, bringing his outlay to over $45,000. In essence he would now be selling a used vehicle which may also affect insurance rates for the prospective
new owner, as well as finance rate from
a lender.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Ridgemanron said:
Based off what I've been reading on this site, as well as others, no dealer is going to allow a stranger to take the car in place of the original orderer. This would
mean that the original buyer would have to purchase and possibly register the car,
not to mention waiting for the title to arrive before he could begin the process of re-selling the vehicle. He would have also paid his tax on the vehicle, totaling
$3,000 or more, bringing his outlay to over $45,000. In essence he would now be selling a used vehicle which may also affect insurance rates for the prospective
new owner, as well as finance rate from
a lender.

yet they will line up to buy

·
Registered
59 Posts
Not true, you don't have to register the car. If you want you can pay the dealer and just take the MCO (Manufacturers Certificate of Origin. What you turn into DMV when a new car is registered for the first time). Few people even know what that is since most have the dealer register the car for them but it isn't required.

Also sales tax is not due if the car isn't registered and is shipped out of state, or if you purchase the car in a state without sales tax.

BTW some dealers have been known to make scarce cars "used" in order to skirt certain manufacturer's insistance that they not sell for over MSRP.

·
Registered
3 Posts
ebay add

sorry if i ticked you guys off. I have been reading this board for a while. Anyhow, I have always wanted a Lotus Esprit, but decided on the Elise. To make a long story short, my house was recently struck by lightening, I have insuance, but there were other costs involved, thus forcing the sale. Anyhow, most of the people are getting ripped off, me included by non payers. The best deal one seller got was having 3 positions, the buyer bought all 3, one for 15K, one for 8K, and one for 5K. I'll let you if this one sells, some how I doubt it. Trust me, the last thing I wanted to do was lose my spot in line.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
I don't have that much of a problem with you selling the car but these things seemed misleading to me:

Some photos are of a 100K Esthi modified Elise

The US cars are not test mules of a first run as you imply (most things have been sorted out with the many 111R's that have been sold

You don't let the bidder know what number he would be bidding on (don't you think that information is important?

Who exactly are you talking about in reference to people dishing out "$100K to get this car imported to the US for track use only" Why would anyone ever pay anything near that for a track only Elise...This is simply not accurate info.

So as you can see it's not the fact that your selling it thats bothering me but rather all the hyped filler stuff.

·
Registered
3 Posts
actually the Esthi was a royalty free pic. that was close enough, with the exception of the front bumper/wheels. I live in an upscale neighborhood in FL, and a guy donw the steet from me has a euro spec Elise. By the time he got it here, he spent over 100K. It may be arae occurance, but nonthe less, it happened. As for production issues, there are already some. The striker where the door latch hits is already prematurely cracking, newer Elises will have this section beefer up. An LSD may be available mid production run. Worst of all, I have a buddy who is the lead chassis engineer at Ford SVT, the guys who build the GT. The have had an Elise for a good while, and he has filled e on in some of its issues. Lastly, while 2200 cars is not a lot by any means, you can believe that Honda and Mazda will feel something when this cars arrives. They will insure that the MY06 complies with DOT standards. Yes, I agree, it is hyped up, but it is all true to what I know. Like I said earlier, I haven't got any $$...but I'll let ya know it I do.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts