The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I am in the middle of trying to change my front brake pads with the EBC Ultimax2 pads but they seem to be just a hair too big. Without even making it to the piston they don't fit between the rotor and the caliper, has anyone had any issues like this before?

EDIT: There is no lip on the rotors that I can feel, and the piston is almost fully depressed but I am not able to even get the pad in far enough to come close to the piston

·
Registered
110 Posts
I ran into the same issue using a set of Bosch pads a few months ago. I ended up sanding them down, but I had to take a fair amount of meat off of them.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,404 Posts
Make sure to push the piston all the way in. I've had some pads that are a tight fit but I can usually get them to go in without force and try the slightly bigger pad in all 4 places. If that doesn't work, you might have to remove a small amount of pad material to get them in.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Same thig here I took them down on a bench grinder. Needed a few MM... Made sure to keep it level, worked out for me.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Check there is no little pin on the backing plate. It can be ground off first. The pad codes for PFC look like this 0109.XX.13.44 where the XX is compound. The 13 is 13mm overall thickness.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
There is a 15mm application for this same pad shape, I think it might be subaru, but anyways EBC probably just tool them and sold them as the 14.5mm pads for our use? Or they got mixed up somehow.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took the pads to a micro mill and shaved them down til they fit snuggly in between the rotor and the caliper. Unfortunately I had to grind off the “break in” part of the pad, and so I am assuming that’s why my one pad is squealing. It seems to only squeal when it warms up, so you guys think this will stop after the pads break in or do I need take them out and apply some anti squeal paste or anti seize?

Thanks for all of the tips , the pads are the UD109 ultimax2 which seem to be correct for my 05 Elise.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,404 Posts
I took the pads to a micro mill and shaved them down til they fit snuggly in between the rotor and the caliper. Unfortunately I had to grind off the “break in” part of the pad, and so I am assuming that’s why my one pad is squealing. It seems to only squeal when it warms up, so you guys think this will stop after the pads break in or do I need take them out and apply some anti squeal paste or anti seize?

Thanks for all of the tips , the pads are the UD109 ultimax2 which seem to be correct for my 05 Elise.
Did you still follow the bed in procedure? EBC seems to have a different bed in process than pads I usually use. I know my track pads make noise when not warmed up or under light braking but not sure that applies to your pads.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you still follow the bed in procedure? EBC seems to have a different bed in process than pads I usually use. I know my track pads make noise when not warmed up or under light braking but not sure that applies to your pads.
The break in period seems to be extremely long for these pads and so I have not yet hit the 1000 mile mark on the pads yet. They seem to be behaving much better after about two days now though.

I appreciate the feedback

1 - 9 of 9 Posts