The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed a set of four EBC rotors with Pagid Blue brake pads all around... thanks to Competition Engineering and Don Gaboury for hooking up the service on such a short notice!

The rotors are labeled R and L, and have directional slots and dimples (rather than holes drilled all the way through). The vents in-between the plates are NOT directional, however - I'm told this will result in a temperature difference that is negligible even on track days, so probably no big deal. Overall the rotor is solid, and the quality is at least comparable to OEM, in the opinion of one certified Lotus mechanic. Although we did not weigh them, they felt roughly the same in my arms... The best part, though, was the price: I paid exactly $120 per corner, including shipping and taxes. :D

The Pagid Blue brake pads seem excellent in quality as well. The front one covers less surface area than OEM though, missing about 5-6mm of the rotor on the inner edge (see photos). The rear pads seem to cover roughly the same surface area as OEM. Bought from Rennstore.com - check out their prices on their website, but also a bargain over OEM. :D:D

Here are some images of the fronts during installation... :D:D:D

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are some pictures of the rears on installation...

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Don G and his dilligence...

...unmatched. Take my word for it. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Performance...

The STIG can testify as to the performance of this combo much more constructively than I can, as he has infinitely more experience than I do, and he got to break them in on Engineer Road on the way to Julian. We did notice that these pads grip much better after they warm up a bit. Also they seem to produce much less dust than stock.

Additionally, the slots on the rotors are continued all the way to the outer edge of the rotor, so the dust that does sneak in there seems to sneak out after a while. The dimples are intended to prevent cracking, as some people here have experienced around the cross-drilled holes on the OEM rotor.

Some images of the set-up installed, before and after some miles... :D

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Cosmetically, I like the way the hat stays gold.
Overall, I'm very happy with this set-up, especially when price is also considered - about $850 total for new rotors and pads for all four corners. Plus labor.

Special thanks to Neil for a free driving lesson... :shift:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
good choice on parts :up:

the blues are a good sport/track pad and the ebc rotors can't be beat for the price. you replaced four corners for roughly the cost of two corners using OE stuff.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Thanks for the pictures! I am looking at doing rotors sometime this year and I'm leaning towards the EBCs. It's great to see them installed on the car.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
They look great :up: Do you have the parts number for the EBC Sport Rotors? Front and rear are the same, right? Thanks.

·
Registered
407 Posts
how long did it take you to change rotors (miles)? I know you never track your car, ...
+1

EBC is cheaper than the DBA 5000 rotors, but how do they compare? Anyone?

Are the Pagid REAR pads a direct swap out with the OEM pad? Does OEM retaining pin work with the Pagids?

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They look great :up: Do you have the parts number for the EBC Sport Rotors? Front and rear are the same, right? Thanks.
Purchased from Auto Accessories Garage online, here are the details:

Item: EBCGD1190_1
Description: 2004 - 2007 EBC Front Sport Rotor LOTUS Elise 1.8 Part#: GD1190
Quantity: 1
Item Price: $239.87

Item: EBCBGD1190_2
Description: 2004 - 2007 EBC Rear Sport Rotor LOTUS Elise 1.8 Part#: GD1190
Quantity: 1
Item Price: $240.87

Sub Total : $480.74
Tax : $0.00
Shipping : $0.00 via Ground
Order Total : $480.74

Yes, the front set and the rear set are identical, even though most online shops will still label them as front or rear, depending on the search criteria you put in.

BTW, if they are out of stock, you might have to wait 2-3 months... at least from this retailer.

·
Registered
407 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
how long did it take you to change rotors (miles)? I know you never track your car, ...
Because I did not track this car, I pushed it far beyond what it should have been - 29,600 miles of mostly highway daily commute, where most braking is done by downshifting. I do NOT recommend waiting that long!! The front rotors were junk by then, at least 3mm thinner than recommended minimum thickness. The rears are still usable if I resurface them.

Recall that I'm also the guy who pushed his first set of AO48's to around 9,600 miles... those days are long gone now :)

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
... except for that $1 difference in price :D
Apparently this place adds a $1.00 surcharge for labeling the same product in two different ways in their warehouse :D

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
....The front rotors were junk by then, at least 3mm thinner than recommended minimum thickness. The rears are still usable if I resurface them....
there are only 2MM of usable material in total. they start at 26MM and are to be replaced at 24MM. if think you may be greatly overestimating the life of these mission-critical parts. -eek-

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are the Pagid REAR pads a direct swap out with the OEM pad? Does OEM retaining pin work with the Pagids?
Yes and Yes.

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
there are only 2MM of usable material in total. they start at 26MM and are to be replaced at 24MM. if think you may be greatly overestimating the life of these mission-critical parts. -eek-
Yes I am. :thwack:
They were about 21mm when I took them off.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts