The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would think that the segment of the car industry that will get hit the hardest by this economic sheet storm would be the "third car" segment. In addition to people perhaps not feeling comfortable spending big bucks on a car that they will only dive a couple of days of the week, people may not be as willing to flaunt their wealth when so many others are looking for work. Although there are many cars selling for much more than than the Evora will, I bet most of the general public would put the car in the exotic car price range based on its looks.

I'd think that the Evora may get hit pretty hard. I really hope they follow through, but they couldn't have worse timing. I guess their estimated sales numbers will make this a non-issue. Maybe that's what they are counting on.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Yep. My hope is that things start to turn around by end of 2009 or early 2010, which is when the car is coming here anyway. But earlier release in Europe and UK may meet with less than earlier projected sales.

I am sure Lotus is considering that now.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I think for the first few years, we'll only see about 500 (or less) Evoras in the States so Lotus should be able to sell most of them.

(Also, the Evora's a bit under powered or overweight so that's another turn off).

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
I think Lotus may drop the numbers from the original 800-1,000 US sales but like Allan said, the impact will be minimal. I also believe that the economy will be turning by years end. I believe that the Elise and Exige have more to loose than the Evora but Lotus is not sitting still and has plans to pump up sales and keep the momentum going through these hard times.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Thank Robert. I wasn't exactly sure how many Evora's would be coming in but thought it was less than a 1,000 and definitely a lot less than the number of Elise coming in in 2005.

When the Evora is more available, and when the credit starts flowing again, I'm hoping Lotus will offer some competitive leasing programs - especially since the Elise/Exige have had good residual values. That would help make Lotus more competitive to some of the Porsche dealer sponsored lease specials on thier cars (and three years is about the max I can stand a car.)

·
Registered
279 Posts
I changed my mind, and instead of going for an Evora, I preferred to order the latest (and cheaper) Exige Cup 260.

I'd prefer to see how economy will go during the next couple of years, and by that time Lotus will have not only a solid Evora production but also some forthcoming cars, like the Evora SC, possibly the new Elises/Exiges and finally.. the Esprit! :nanner:

In the mean time, my cutie Exige will get a valid Goth.am "citizenship"rotfl and much more goodies that will make the already lightning fast Exige even lighter and faster than ever!:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts