The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Looks stellar. Make sure there is no ticking though, 8700 rev could perhaps maybe sorta be bad.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Thanks it looked clean, but was looking for second opinion. It’s still under warranty. Will the dealer cover any problems like that?

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Thanks it looked clean, but was looking for second opinion. It’s still under warranty. Will the dealer cover any problems like that?
If your oil-pump implodes they might look at the 8700 and raise an eyebrow..

Other than that, no standing starts, and barely any time in high rpm is a good sign. How many miles are on said car?

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
4,000 miles? Then the ECU has been reset at some time in the past. 4,000 / 7.75 hours = 516 avg MPH... not likely.

That's not <i>necessarily</i> bad, it just means that you're not seeing all the data...

·
Registered
594 Posts
4,000 miles? Then the ECU has been reset at some time in the past. 4,000 / 7.45 hours = 536 MPH... not likely.

That's not <i>necessarily</i> bad, it just means that you're not seeing all the data...
Ok that seemed odd to me too. Why would the data not be seen?

·
Registered
594 Posts
I've been told that a reflash resets the ECU data... and reflashes are normal update procedures, so the reset could be entirely innocent.
Ok could that be from the dealer doing recall updates? I spoke to a lotus dealer about the car and they checked its service recordes and said it had all its updates/recalls done.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
You can estimate the miles since the reset like so:

0-30 KMH
6' 22" 32s OK, that's around 95.6 Km (15KPH avg * 6.375 Hrs)

30-60 KMH
0' 29" 48s that's around 22.4 K

60-90 KMH
0' 27" 25s that's around 34.3 K

90-120 KMH
0' 13" 50s that's around 24.2 K

120-150 KMH
0' 12" 7s that's around 27.3 K

150-180 KMH
0' 0" 54s that's around 2.5 K

180-210 KHM

0' 0" 10s that's around 0.5 K

Total 206.8 K or 128.5 miles ago... avg speed ~17 MPH

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Ok could that be from the dealer doing recall updates? I spoke to a lotus dealer about the car and they checked its service recordes and said it had all its updates/recalls done.
Yes... someone else should check me on this, but I understand that normal ECU updates (reflashes) clear the ECU data... I think that's why they sometimes do a dump <i>before</i> a reflash.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Yes... someone else should check me on this, but I understand that normal ECU updates (reflashes) clear the ECU data... I think that's why they sometimes do a dump <i>before</i> a reflash.
I was under the impression that it is only reset upon request, but you likely know better...

Brain gets jumbled with all this information sometimes.

·
Registered
365 Posts
It would be useful to know how much time this engine has spent between 7500 and 9000 RPM, which is not a value that is displayed (or recorded?). Keep in mind that a car may not spend much time between 7000 and 7500 but could spend a great deal of time between 7500 and 8500.

I think it's a little strange that the max RPM's above 8500 are clustered in two groups:
-one within 7 minutes starting at 2 hours/36 min and
-one within 55 seconds starting at 3 hours 3 min

And, those two groups are only separated by about 20 minutes...first one ends at 2 hr 43 min and next one begins at 3 hours 3 minutes. Meaning, there was a burst of high RPMs starting at 2 hr 36 min, then again about 30 minutes later.

Top 5 speeds are all between 109 and 118 MPH, which suggest high RPM's were intentional and not caused by mis-shifts. Seems like this car was driven pretty hard very briefly, especially given the throttle position numbers - not that this is a bad thing at all. It's just something to take into account. Doubt it was ever tracked if that matters to you.

Only 7 hours Engine Life is interesting. If you can get the Service Records from a dealer, there would likely be an entry about an ECU re-flash very recently. If there isn't any record of an ECU re-flash (and I don't think any dealers would allow a customer to simply request data erasure), then maybe this is a new ECU on this car, which would be something to ask about.

·
Registered
682 Posts
You're really only seeing 8/100-200 hours of driving...

4000 miles / 100 hr = 40 mph

4000 miles / 200 hr = 20 mph

I wouldn't be too happy with knowing 4-8% of my car's ECU history. Find out if the reflash is from Lotus maintainance. I would think that they should have a repair history for you VIN number. When I called, they were very up front about the information they had.

I wonder if the following scenario is possible: have the ECU reflashed, idle it for about 6 hours, then drive it for an hour before producing the attached ECU dump. It looks like there are a few high revs at 2:40 and 3:30 run time. Also, the avg throttle position shows that only 3 hours of idle are possible, and that there were 4 hours + of driving at 1.5-15% throttle.

Edit: Is the odometer engaged with power off if the car is towed by the front hook? Would the spinning rear wheels add mileage? Is anyone honestly this stupid?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts