The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't search because I am in quite a rush and I highly doubt anyone has had this occur to them. Anyways while my car was in the shop I had the guys there install 06 tails on my 05. The installation went fine, but then I get a call from the shop saying that the tails were great and look amazing, but there is one problem. When the tails are on at the same time as the car (running) the car runs like crap. He says the idle is messed up and he has talked to Lotus and is about to talk to the shop that put my car together to troubleshoot how they wired it to see if they wired into something that shouldn't have been tapped.

The car is running the hydra EMS. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

RB

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
1,228 Posts
Maybe the tricksey 06+ ECU DNA was in the tail lights.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I didn't search because I am in quite a rush and I highly doubt anyone has had this occur to them. Anyways while my car was in the shop I had the guys there install 06 tails on my 05. The installation went fine, but then I get a call from the shop saying that the tails were great and look amazing, but there is one problem. When the tails are on at the same time as the car (running) the car runs like crap. He says the idle is messed up and he has talked to Lotus and is about to talk to the shop that put my car together to troubleshoot how they wired it to see if they wired into something that shouldn't have been tapped.

The car is running the hydra EMS. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

RB
You should drop a note to Perrin about this. The way the Hydra ECU loom is wired its picking up its main bus power off a line that is borderlines capable of supplying enough current.

In my Hydra setup, I have the optional wideband O2 sensor to allow for auto tuning. With the stock wiring harness, and the extra current pull of the O2 sensor, the supply going to the Hydra was running around 9V (versus 13V) and would occasionally and randomly drop to sub-5V when the AC was turned. This would kill the Hydra, flood out the car, and it would not start for a while until it dried out.

What I did to fix was to disconnect the supply pin going to the relay (the wiring diagram for the relay is printed on top of it) on the Hydra harness (this switches power to the Hydra) and run a fused connection directly to the power rail that's low on the firewall. Works like a charm. I'm pretty sure Perrin mentioned he did this already, but worth checking.

Not saying your problem is related, but if I had to guess its either that or the LEDs are kicking noise back on the power rail to the Hydra. Andrew at Hydra is pretty responsive and very technical - give him a call. You may need to add a few isolating caps (low pass filter filter) on the power rail driving the lights.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply I will forward this to the shop!

·
Registered
309 Posts
so did they find a solution to it?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
When you read up on cpu installs...everyone says that wiring is the number 1 cause of all problems.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The shop worked with Hydra and got a step by step guide to how to re-run a few wires and I am picking the car up this morning :). If anyone in the NW needs to get cosmetic work done I highly recommend Haury's Collision. They have been nothing short of amazing this whole time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts