The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is a copy of my printout of the ECU. This is what Lotus uses to judge your ability to follow their engine break-in rules. Supposedly this can affect your warranty. I cut the "engine history report" into three sections to get everything on one page. The "performance data " was another list. Not sure why the MAP, COOLANT TEMP , and the OIL TEMP turn up with all zeros. It is hard to believe that they can tell how many standing starts you have done. I also found out that the cam shift doesn't start working at the 6200 RPM point unless you have the throttle to the floor. I mentioned that I didn't think this was working and was told you need to have full throttle to make it function. I didn't think to ask how the system knew I was at full throttle. Most of my "max engine speeds" were in third gear trying to see the cams shift.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Thanks for the posting. I'm nearing the end of the break-in period, thinking about driving harder and have been wondering exactly what Lotus will see when they do my print out.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
The MAX VEHICLE SPEEDs don't seem to correlate with the WHEEL SPEEDs. Why would that be?

·
Registered
79 Posts
tps - throttle position sensor....

Very clever watching your ECU. As in some other cars this data could probably be used against you in the event of an accident.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It is hard to believe that they can tell how many standing starts you have done. . [/B]
Basically its measuring how many times the car went from a standstill to the engine doing 3,000 rpm (drop the clutch at 3,000 at a stop).

At the dealer there was some Esprit that had recorded 75 standing starts.

Vince

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
When I looked at my printout I saw that my max rpm was 8,514. I had hit the rev-limiter once after 600 miles but before the service. Oops! I saw another printout which had the max rpm at over 8,700. I though the rev-limiter was supposed to cut in at 8,500? I guess the owner could have mis-shifted once :eek:

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
200 rpm at 8500 rpm is an error of about 2.3%

it may be that the accuracy of the rev limiter cut off is related to the gear you're in when you hit it...you get to high rev faster in lower gears

·
Registered
30 Posts
got my first oil change todayn at 1430 miles. the tech told me and showed me that i reved it at 8500 twice i think but he said it's ok. i also found out that he knows that i drove it at 120 mph but i told hime my rpm that time was only 5000 since i was on the 6th gear

·
Registered
109 Posts
Re: Re: ECU Printout

demarco said:
Basically its measuring how many times the car went from a standstill to the engine doing 3,000 rpm (drop the clutch at 3,000 at a stop).

At the dealer there was some Esprit that had recorded 75 standing starts.
During break in? :eek:

If not, no biggie I guess... I'm up to 30 or something (start at sprinting).

·
Registered
818 Posts
my tech said a standing start is considered droping at 5000 and staying above 5000rpm for the first 3 gears

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I did a proper breakin to 600 miles, and have been exploring more of the... dynamic envelope lately. I sure hope when they dump the ECU at 1000 miles, they can differentiate the last 400 miles from the first 600, right?

·
Registered
123 Posts
FASTEST 0 - 100: 25.5secs
FASTEST 0 - 160: 25.5secs

Apart from the fact a long-haul truck could do better, it strange it s the same from 100 to 160....Breach in space/time continuum?
Doesn t seem properly recorded that one.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
outspan said:
FASTEST 0 - 100: 25.5secs
FASTEST 0 - 160: 25.5secs

Apart from the fact a long-haul truck could do better, it strange it s the same from 100 to 160....Breach in space/time continuum?
Doesn t seem properly recorded that one.
I suspect that 25.5 is simply the maximum that it can record, and probably has this value stored in the ECU from the factory even before it hits 100kph. Probably the 0-100 code was never triggered, due to it depending on something other than the time it takes to get to 100kph, like the gears used, rpms, throttle position, or something.

One good thing about the standing start definition is that you'll probably never see it on an autox course since you'll never get to 3rd. :)

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I did a proper breakin to 600 miles, and have been exploring more of the... dynamic envelope lately. I sure hope when they dump the ECU at 1000 miles, they can differentiate the last 400 miles from the first 600, right?
Loop-I think you're out of luck here. I had my checkup, due to availability and timing, at 1300 miles. There was no differentiation. I just didn't go wild until the checkup out of fear.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Does ECU Reflash Clear Old Information?

I just got my car back from the 7500 mile service and found a copy of the printout showing the Performance Data Section only in my front tray.

It says that the top KPH is 75 and then it drops down to about 72 for the 5th Fastest KPH

Fastest 0-100 KM was 25.5 seconds
No Data Available for Last 0-100KM

But what is weird it says total Engine Running Time is 0' 14" 59.0s
Does this mean 14 minutes or 14 hrs?

I know the ECU was refalshed, since this had to be done on the older cars, but does it wipe out the running time? There no way the car had 14 hours on it, but 14 minutes might seem right since the car had a few miles more on it when I picked it up so if it was being test driven after servicing this would be about right.

Now, if they could only reset the odometer to zero too! :D

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Ground Loop said:
The specific events logged (like max rpm) record the engine life (hours, minutes) for the event. Other than that, all they'll see is the TOTAL time spent in each of the rpm ranges - with no indication whether that happened early in the car's life or late.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
That would read 0 hours, 14 minutes, 59 seconds. Your assumption is correct.

·
Registered
14 Posts
06' Computer Printouts Read "0" or "No Data Avail"

Just had my 1st service performed in Durham, NC. Was Charged for the Computer Dump and I asked for a copy. Printout Copy was rolled up in dash tray when I got car back. When I got home I looked at the printout and all the data was "0" or 'No Data Available". A call to the dealer and the mechanic brought me the news that the 06's can't be read by the current software! Funny they forgot to mention that when they gave me the bill. I no I never overreved my engine because the computer said it never ran!

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
On my ECU dump I have "no data available" for number of standing starts. My '05 was taken in at 1100mi many months ago. I didn't think much of it until now where I see the posted ECU dump shows "0" for standing starts. I wonder why my car had no data available.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.