1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
With a standalone in control of you engine, your original ecu is disabled. I would imagine it would sense all kinds of things disconnected and set codes galore. Just think of all the sensors feeding into the ecu. Do you plan to similulate all those?

·
Registered
387 Posts
MikeW: I assume that it would be simulating all of the sensor readings in itself, so I don't see how it wouldn't work.

Horribly illegal, however.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tecnically illegal perhaps, but the car would be putting out emission levels far below the permissible guidelines, it's just that it would be doing it with a standalone ECU that is not OBD2 compliant. It's one of those things that may be illegal, but I don't see it as immoral.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
bhtooefr said:
MikeW: I assume that it would be simulating all of the sensor readings in itself, so I don't see how it wouldn't work.

Horribly illegal, however.
interesting. Hope it knows and says everything the ecu wants to know. You might get more than a slap on the hand if caught.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Made in Istanbul. That's rather weird. Anyway, Digimoto is a US didtributor in Wisconsin. 1-800-928-4617. Nothing is on their site. Maybe they can explain the gizmo. Maybe it just spits out an all clear signal for the smog people. I'd try it in a vehicle before you modify it first. You could hook the ecu or whatever back if it didn't work. This reminds me of some of the devices to give you illegal cable TV. Hope their not scamming and giving money to the Taliban or something.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not really worried about the consequences of getting caught simulating OBD2, since the emissions tests in my state are done at local "certified" garages, and a lot of them are pretty shady. If they found me out, I'm sure I could talk my way out of the place, and if I play my cards right, perhaps I could even buy a PASS.

In fact, I'm not even sure if it would fail with the standalone ECU I'm installing, since the stock ECU will still be partially co-wired just to control the dash gauges.

·
Registered
724 Posts
In California, that wouldn't be enough. The car has to pass a visual inspection as well, where they check for engine modifications according to some book that tells them what's supposed to be there. They only really catch obvious stuff, of course, so if your mods are anything less that a turbo or supercharger, you're probably fine.

Then again, getting modified cars smogged under the table is not difficult, so it seems silly to bother with Bond gadgets to beat the system.

Q

·
Registered
12 Posts
ECU SIMULATOR

In a sense you could use this simulator to fool the OBD2 test but in order to do this you may need to find out what the obd2 test looks for in order to pass a vehicle, also you may have 2 obd2 connectors one to simulate and one for your car.

SINCERE AUTO SCAN INC - Products

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
that wont work... its a simulator that automakers andbig tuner companies use to develop the ECU software and test the network protocols. it can act like an ECU but it wont look like the lotus ECU and it also wont do basic things likematch the engine rpms,etc.

What you need is a little box that follows standard obd protocols over CAN and iso9141 and follows the basic engine parameters. it can absolutely be done except for the fact that its totally illegal (federal illegal, not state) so nobody that could do it is going to...

At any rate this whole method of thinking is ass-backwards.. the real question that you should be asking is why doesnt your ECU support OBD. there is no excuse nowadays for any ECU manufacturer to not include full obd on any product that is destined for the street. furthermore, it should be a matter of flipping a switch to put the ECU mapping into a 'clean' mode so that the car can easily pass the test. flip the switch back and you back to performance mode...

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
old thread and some spam, but reply anyway !

yeah what rob says, its a very basic simulator that just makes a few signals, i use one for on the bench testing for my ecu work with an AWG, the OBDII simulators basically just give you a simple way of testing diagnostic software, they're not complete and frequently just wrong.

i'd imagine most of the standalone guys don't do OBD II since its likely you'd have to pay for the testing, and most people probably don't want it, plus you have to support an awful lot of pids/tests to cover all the cars that it might be used on.

Technically and legally even having the OBD II won't help make it legal anyway since the CVN will be wrong, and in most CARB states they datalog it, they're supposed to verify it, but never do. So you're back in the same boat anyway.

·
Registered
12 Posts
that wont work... its a simulator that automakers andbig tuner companies use to develop the ECU software and test the network protocols. it can act like an ECU but it wont look like the lotus ECU and it also wont do basic things likematch the engine rpms,etc.

What you need is a little box that follows standard obd protocols over CAN and iso9141 and follows the basic engine parameters. it can absolutely be done except for the fact that its totally illegal (federal illegal, not state) so nobody that could do it is going to...

At any rate this whole method of thinking is ass-backwards.. the real question that you should be asking is why doesnt your ECU support OBD. there is no excuse nowadays for any ECU manufacturer to not include full obd on any product that is destined for the street. furthermore, it should be a matter of flipping a switch to put the ECU mapping into a 'clean' mode so that the car can easily pass the test. flip the switch back and you back to performance mode...
i dont know about any other states but i know for a fact the NYVIP Machine in NY STATE Looks for certain things

1. For certain Monitors to be ready
2. For the Check Engine to be off while the car is on
3. A certain RPM to make sure the car is on

if all this is met then it will pass the inspection this is a fact. you dont need to hook the Simulator to your car you can have 2 obd 2 connectors one which is going to simulate some results and one for your actual car both separate from each other

·
Registered
400 Posts
i dont know about any other states but i know for a fact the NYVIP Machine in NY STATE Looks for certain things

1. For certain Monitors to be ready
2. For the Check Engine to be off while the car is on
3. A certain RPM to make sure the car is on

if all this is met then it will pass the inspection this is a fact. you dont need to hook the Simulator to your car you can have 2 obd 2 connectors one which is going to simulate some results and one for your actual car both separate from each other
It's funny to me that this is coming up now. Just today, I brought my car to an emissions test facility, as I got the Connecticut letter in the mail Thursday. My car has Katana SC and Larini exhaust and Sport Cat. They idled the car, hooked into the port, looked for CEL's and the computer spit out a pass. I thought for sure my car would fail with my mods... but I guess not!:coolnana:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I depends where you get your car inspected. Here in NY there are many places that only check for the check engine light they don't bother with anything else i can think of some places in the south Bronx other places check for everything and try to foul you into making repairs if you don't know the regulations you can easily be screwed

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
wow.. i didnt even realize this thread was that old...

anyway regarding the check engine light test, we have that in illinois as well.. the thinking is that on any new obdII compliant car the ECU really is constantly testing and reporting any condition that is out of emissions spec; so if the car reports back no trouble then it is likely within spec.

·
Registered
12 Posts
wow.. i didnt even realize this thread was that old...

anyway regarding the check engine light test, we have that in illinois as well.. the thinking is that on any new obdII compliant car the ECU really is constantly testing and reporting any condition that is out of emissions spec; so if the car reports back no trouble then it is likely within spec.
If theres not check engine, the right amount of monitors are ready, and the car is on you have a passing vehicle when it comes to the OBD2 Testing :nanner2:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts