The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Charlie,

I was talking to Kaz about a 2.75" MP62 SC pulley he made a thread about, and I was told that this modification is capable of producing around 275 Whp before heatsoak (track conditions) if properly tuned. I'm pretty Linux/unix savvy and work as a programmer for the time being, but don't want to kill my daily driver. Is it possible to get a second ECU? Could you pre-tune it for an otherwise stock 2007 Exige S?

Please let me know what would be involved in such a performance upgrade, including tuning costs, material costs, labor costs, etc...

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Charlie,

I was talking to Kaz about a 2.75" MP62 SC pulley he made a thread about, and I was told that this modification is capable of producing around 275 Whp before heatsoak (track conditions) if properly tuned. I'm pretty Linux/unix savvy and work as a programmer for the time being, but don't want to kill my daily driver. Is it possible to get a second ECU? Could you pre-tune it for an otherwise stock 2007 Exige S?

Please let me know what would be involved in such a performance upgrade, including tuning costs, material costs, labor costs, etc...

Thanks!
Tuning wise, Temporary goth.am webstore - excuse our dust! (CharlieX).

Pulley wise, you would need a custom tune.. ie; fly charlie out, drive to charlie, drive to VF(CharlieX software) (if they'll do tunes for kits that aren't theirs), Get standalone efi. pick one.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tuning wise, Temporary goth.am webstore - excuse our dust! (CharlieX).

Pulley wise, you would need a custom tune.. ie; fly charlie out, drive to charlie, drive to VF(CharlieX software) (if they'll do tunes for kits that aren't theirs), Get standalone efi. pick one.
Thanks for the info. What do you mean by "drive to VF"? Do the packages on the site you provided include the standalone efi? Can you provide a rough estimate of how much it will cost to get the 2.75" SC pulley running properly with correct management?

How would this cost compare to buying all the equipment I need and doing it myself as a project?

Thanks again

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Thanks for the info. What do you mean by "drive to VF"? Do the packages on the site you provided include the standalone efi? Can you provide a rough estimate of how much it will cost to get the 2.75" SC pulley running properly with correct management?

How would this cost compare to buying all the equipment I need and doing it myself as a project?

Thanks again
1. Drive to Vision Function or to Charlie Wallace, and have either tune your car for said pulley. (One in MD, one in NV)

2. The "packages" on Charlie's website are ECU reflashes, which will not account for the difference in pulley size, but will increase horsepower if you get.. say the Gotham 265 tune, on your stock engine.

2.5. Standalone systems have different prices, expect to pay over $2,000, then tune it all yourself, or have someone on a dyno tune it, for an hourly fee.

3. Probably more than you want it to cost.

4. Doing it yourself you will probably want an EFI solution, Phil can help there. Though I personally suggest sending your ECU to charlie, getting it flashed, and putting it back in your car, and not messing with the pulley... till the bug bites again.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
You should change the header, get a nice exhaust, get a smaller pulley (2.7, 2.8), put in an Accusump, fly Charlie out...monster car on stock compression

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
After tearing my whole car apart to purge the oil coolers (M209 filter had internal failure, resulting in contamination), I am lusting for more driving and more hp :p I'll be taking it easy for the next 1,000 miles until I change all my oil and filter again and ensure there is no more crap in my lines :(. I know Lotus recommends replacing both coolers, but I did a freakishly thorough job, detailed in the maintenance section...

Anyway,

If I want to change the pulley I would have to purchase a standalone EFI system I take it. My goal is to get the car to dyno at around 275-300 whp. It doesn't sound like that's going to happen without an investment cost of at least 1.5K or so.

I guess I need a place to start, I don't want to spend all the money at once.

1. What's a good first move toward these mods?

It seems like a stand alone EFI would allow me to play with my tuning and increase my hp a little.

2. Can I tune it myself without a dyno (Is there a way to get feedback such as torque curves)? Is there a way to go back to default settings when I make it so my car won't run by accident?

3. I'm a n00b and need some clarification. EFI = fuel injection, only? How does a stand alone EFI system relate to the ECU. Will I need to reprogram my ECU with a separate interface?

Feel free to point me to other threads, I have browsed, but haven't been able to figure out a logical progression for the modifications I am considering. So, thanks a bunch for the advice, I'm looking forward to learning all this stuff. The most useful response would be one that lays out a sequence of modifications that are additive and result in around 300 Whp when all are finished.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
For you to get those power levels on an MP62 on your car you will need to replace your intercooler with one that will actually not heatsoak in 5mins. Will either need to get a good A2W system, or get an IC in the wheelwell like VF has.

Next you will either have to pay Charlie to tune it (if he has time and is willing), or get Jermaine at VF to tune it (again if he has time and is willing).

Next you will need to upgrade your fuel system and clutch to hold the power at anything smaller than a 3.1 or 3.2 pulley.

You are looking at alot more than 1.5k to do this. Especially if you can't do the work yourself.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Cthu, try www.moremonkey.com. The people there do alot of their own set-ups, and are a pretty knowledgeable, if crude ;) , bunch.

For now though, if you just want a bit added power, I would suggest the Gotham Exige S tune, from CharlieX.

Should give roughly 25whp, and 15ft-lb of tq.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm registering on those forums. I may also call vision function and ask some more stupid questions to figure out what the buy first, lol. I definitely need some clarification of ECU/EFI stuff, and where and what to start programming first.

Is it most cost effective to get Charlie to flash my ECU? Will I need another reflash if I mess with EFI stuff or my pulley? How much would it cost to reflash myself (raw materials needed to interface, including any applicable software). I'd rather set everything up for PC modification (I think i will have to, eventually)

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I'm registering on those forums. I may also call vision function and ask some more stupid questions to figure out what the buy first, lol. I definitely need some clarification of ECU/EFI stuff, and where and what to start programming first.

Is it most cost effective to get Charlie to flash my ECU? Will I need another reflash if I mess with EFI stuff or my pulley? How much would it cost to reflash myself (raw materials needed to interface, including any applicable software). I'd rather set everything up for PC modification (I think i will have to, eventually)
I have never used a standalone electronic fuel injection management system, but i imagine that it would have to run in conjunction with the ecu, as in the ECU has to keep the dash running, and take measurements from sensors.

If you mess with the pulley you will need another tune, not sure what charlies policy is on that though.

YOU WILL NOT be able to get the software to write your own program to the ECU unless you make it yourself. EFI systems can be used with a PC with the software for them.

(I tried to mess with that stuff on my Merkur, and I basically blew it the **** up. Which is not uncommon. ;))

1 - 11 of 11 Posts