The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a newly acquired 2006 Elise with a VF2 Sc running a Charliex tune. I got it on the dyno and did a run to see how "happy/healthy" the tune is and was very disappointed. Is there any shop in the state that can do ECU tuning with Fastworks or another program? If I can't find a better option, I will be shipping this back to Jermaine to see what he can do. It is wicked lean and not making the power it should.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
So Jermaine wasn't able to help you? What was your experience with working with him to solve the problems with your new car purchase. How much time did he spend on the dyno with you to dial in hour setup?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So far Jermaine has been helpful. I did not have my car on his dyno, but on a local one. This thread is in the Texas forum because I was looking for help finding someone who could tune my ECU locally. That is why I asked that exact question in my original post.
I believe that I will be sending Jermaine my ECU this week. I hope that it will fix the problem, but this post was not about that. I would prefer to be able to have someone tune my car in person, not via fedex.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Sorry. I miss read. Good luck with your tuning session regardless of who tunes it!

I will be flying Jermaine out this spring to real time tune on a dyno here in Chicago on my girlfriends and my VF2 and several other cars in the area which really lowers the price of tuning in person

After doing some research, it seems Radiums AEM option is the only choice we have for local tuners to tune our cars in a format that is well known and established. I just haven't grabbed that $1900 gear yet.

No matter who tunes it, I am sure that having it live tuned would be your best option. Holidays are over so to fly someone there will be cheaper than a month ago

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I leave for deployment in a few weeks and will be back in June. That is why I am waiting until the spring, so I can be there

We have many years of beers to catch up on ;)

·
Registered
945 Posts
I've never used an AEM standalone but what I've seen of the Fastworks/BOE tool looks a lot like the editing interfaces in RomRaider, DSMLink/ECMLink, and so on. I'd think a local tuner could work with it. It'd work out to similar to the AEM solution price-wise but seems a lot cleaner and easier, especially since with the T4E/factory ECU you're starting from a working setup.

I remember Phil (BOE) saying somewhere that he had a substantially improved VF2 tune made with Fastworks as well, so you might just be able to go with that and save some shop time as well.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Since I have a Jermaine tune it will just cost me his time and dyno time. No $1800 on top of it. But that is my choice

It makes me crazy with our software because I have so many AEM or similar, flat brimmed hat wearing 17 year olds tuning 1200 hp cars, as easily as me shaving, in my area with dyno access and ready to tune with great resumes

I have sent links to these guys on the FW stuff and they say it looks good but will just take time to really dive into the software and unfortunately I will be the one paying for the time. So I am not being negative in any way and the fact it takes no extra parts like the Radium plug and play system makes it very attractive

You have good weather so no need to wait. But I will post in June how my tune session with Jermaine goes, please do the same with what ever choice you make

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
:facepalm

Here's why the FP...

Those tunes just have huge issues... Here's a screen shot of a few examples.

1) The VE map (the big map on the screen) was grossly out of whack. That area circles is where the car idles. Makes no sense.

2) The injector scalar is wrong. 550 injectors are what was in there

3) major bandaid action in the target AFR table. It shouldn't have a big dip in it like that.

4) All through the rest of the ve map, there are 20s mixed in 50s and 70s and even 90s. That's not how a VE map is supposed to look!

That's just the easy stuff to see that I could easily show to the lay.

Again, this is bad tuning guys. Pure and simple.

Any GOOD tuner can tune the stock ECU with fastworks. By good, I mean someone who has access to a load holding dyno, has the care required to understand tuning includes part throttle tuning, has experience with variable cam motors-- specifically the 2ZZ, as it's requirements are different than those of a honda, BMW, etc... The added benefit is that you get to work from the map that's in the car or certain circumstances, I'll provide a base map to work from....

-Phil

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,140 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Texas is the biggest state in the country. Where in Texas are you
I am in Fort Worth, but don't mind discussing any of the metropolitan areas likely to have a Lotus tuner. I doubt that El Paso or Marathon have a large enough Lotus community to require such a thing. Ditto Brownsville. So I am left with Houston, Austin, San Antonio, Dallas as likely targets, and they are all drivable.
If you are suggesting that there are multiple people, and you just want to send me to the closest one, just toss some out. I would rather evaluate them based on quality, since they are all within a day's drive.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
turbophil said:
Again, this is bad tuning guys. Pure and simple.
I will skip the :facepalm comment...
I know that the tune in it is bad. I don't need an education on how to tune a car, and I have seen the AFR logged on two consecutive dyno runs on this tune. It is so bad, we did not want to risk doing a third because we were concerned for the health of the motor. We compared the Charliex tune to a stock lotus, as well as another elise running a similarly bad tune with forced induction. We also compared them to a Toyota 2zz car with an mp42 and tuned ECU. ALL of the Lotus tunes were bad. The stock Lotus tune looks like they just ran out of time to tune the lower rpms and mid range. The aftermarket Lotus tunes were all inconsistent and lean. Not lean and making power, but lean and weak, like they were too lean and the tuner just pulled timing to avoid knock.
My issue is not knowing that I have a problem. I know that. I am trying to find somebody with a solution that I like. Jermaine will check and retune my ECU apparently for low or no cost, since he is supporting his product. If what he sends back is no better, then I know something new. The fact that he is not interested in any of the data points from the dyno pulls discourages me. He says he will look at knock count and the other data in the ECU and know what to fix. I don't know if the ECU logs enough information for that to work.
The AEM is not the easiest to tune. I am investigating the Adaptronic, EFI X2 and the Elise Parts ecu. They all may work to get me what I need and I know we can tune those. I may have to plug in the charliex tuned ecu to pass OBD readiness, but that is not a big hassle, compared to the other solutions.

·
Tire abuser
773 Posts
You might at least talk to the guys at ATS racing in Denton. They are good guys and specialize in MR2's. I have had my car on the dyno there, but cannot give any specific recommendation on their work. Tuning with FastWorks should not be a stretch for them if you provide the software. The place builds some huge horsepower MR2's. It was interesting, I had no idea there were enough of those cars around to build a business around them.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You might at least talk to the guys at ATS racing in Denton. They are good guys and specialize in MR2's. I have had my car on the dyno there, but cannot give any specific recommendation on their work. Tuning with FastWorks should not be a stretch for them if you provide the software. The place builds some huge horsepower MR2's. It was interesting, I had no idea there were enough of those cars around to build a business around them.
That is the dyno I was on to confirm that my tune was trash. ATS can do the tune but doesn't have the hardware or software interface to unlock that ECU. I am trying to work out a solution that will allow us to tune it at ATS.

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
I'll just use bullet points to keep this simple;)

-CX hasn't done tuning on a commercial basis in a LONG time. VF does the tunes with CX's software. The tune you have, like many VF tunes, probably has a CX calibration ID, but it's a VF made tune.

-The map I displayed above is probably less than a year old and made by VF.

-The ECU doesn't "log" much of anything that's really all that helpful to fix the problems you're describing. You need a recorded live data log, WB information, and dyno info (if tuning for power). There's no tune information in the ECU memory other than knock (octane scaling) and fuel trims, which won't really tell a tuner much. Our Fastworks software has the required logging.

-EFI is more advanced than Adaptronic. Adaptronic has nicer packaging though. AEM is not a common platform. Search for user experiences on this forum with the AEM PnP interface. None of those will operate the car as cleanly or smoothly as the stock ECU.

-ATS is welcome to purchase our dealer product, but if they don't do much with the Lotus it's too expensive. Otherwise a single license for the full suite (the Level 2 editor) or bringing the car here for custom tuning is what we have to offer for VF cars at this time.

-Phil

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Phil,
AEM is not something I like, though it is a good "value". It is hard to get it to run anywhere near to OEM reliability and function. So it is not much value at all.
If you read my post, I am expressing concerns in line with what you are suggesting regarding the VF tune and retuning process.
Do you have a ballpark tune to get us started on the tuning with the FW full suite? I am trying to balance the expense against the amount of time I need to "invest" on the dyno.

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Yes, I can help with a better base map. You'll want to invest some time in relocating the MAF so that it's in straighter pipe.

If you need help during the tuning process, I'm usually quite available by appointment and in the evenings. I help people tune/navigate the software on Teamviewer very frequently in the evenings when the days slows down, kid to bed, etc...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is making the tuning suite sound better. Plan was to relocate the MAF and add IAT. I know what I want to do, just looking for the right tool to let me run a proper tune on this motor.
I think that the adaptronics would get me what I want, but looking at the features on the FW it is VERY attractive. One question (is it possible to hijack my own thread?) can you run dual fuel on a FW tune? I know that the Adaptronics will and I think that he X2 will also. Not really for the max HP, but it is nice to run e85 as detonation insurance on the track in the heat of Texas.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts