The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,
My ecu was updated the other day. The update is new and was released in the last week. I just need other ppls opinion. It might just be my car or part of the update, but on sports mode the redline seems to be 6800-7000 rpm instead of 7200. Can anyone confirm this? Just wanna make sure it's part of the update and not my car messing about, or if you guys know of any reasons other than the ECU update as to why this is happening

EDIT: I also have a BOE intake on it, might that have anything to do with it?

EDIT 2: I feel idiotic, on Lotus' website they describe max power at 7000 rpm, but I could swear in all the months I've been driving the car it would redline on sports mode at 7200 rpm

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Hi, I think the redline is supposed to be 7200. When the snow finally melts here I have to take it in for the first service (1500 km) and will ask about the ECU flash. Will be another two months at least though

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
isn't redline upped when you hit sport mode - so in effect it is both.

·
LotusElise4Me
8 Posts
Hey guys,
My ecu was updated the other day. The update is new and was released in the last week. I just need other ppls opinion. It might just be my car or part of the update, but on sports mode the redline seems to be 6800-7000 rpm instead of 7200. Can anyone confirm this? Just wanna make sure it's part of the update and not my car messing about, or if you guys know of any reasons other than the ECU update as to why this is happening

EDIT: I also have a BOE intake on it, might that have anything to do with it?

EDIT 2: I feel idiotic, on Lotus' website they describe max power at 7000 rpm, but I could swear in all the months I've been driving the car it would redline on sports mode at 7200 rpm
I had the same complainte about my 2011 with the stock ECU (it has not been updated). Lotus replace the gauge cluster (my clock was also acting up) and did an ECU dump. The ECU dump showed that my car was going all the way to 7200 RPM's. So it looks like in Sport mode it does go to 7200 RPM's. The tach does not seem to show it, it looks like it cuts the power at around 7000 RPM's. So go figure , I have learned to not pay attention to it and just drive the car.
Ron:shift:
Oops guys sorry I just noticed that I am using my daughters computer, so it looks like she is posting not me.
Ron

·
Illegal Alien
5,308 Posts
200 error on a stock tach is typical.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
So you guys suggest getting Lotus to replace the tachometer as a fix to this issue? Furthermore is it a recurring issue?

EDIT: Spoke to the Head Mechanic for Lotus here in my part of the world. He claims the new update issued by Lotus lowered the RPM limit for the sake of the engine. He says he applied the update to other customers and they experienced the same thing. Could be true, or not. If any of you guys go in the near future to update your ECUs let me know if you experience the same thing. I can't be bothered to go all the way to the garage just to get the ECU checked out in terms of the correct RPMs, might just have an ECU dump when my next service is due, but thats going to be a while.

·
Registered
857 Posts
So Lotus just disabled the redline RPM bump that used to be enabled in sport mode so it is the same now whether sport mode is disabled or not?

If this is the case it should only affect manual cars as iirc IPS cars had a static redline regardless of sport mode.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
FWIW, the NA car stock power peak is just at 6500 anyways, it dips down afterwards.

Even with a tune, the peak is still around 6500

·
Premium Member
7,566 Posts
FWIW, the NA car stock power peak is just at 6500 anyways, it dips down afterwards.

Even with a tune, the peak is still around 6500
Exactly that increased redline is a useless bling feature folks unless you have lightened a flywheel or done a header etc. Don't sweat it. IT IS MEANINGLESS:cool: pAY ATTENTION TO HOW DELIVERY OF POWER PLAINS AT ~6500 as Invictus mentions

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
even with my headers, intake, no cats at all, essentially straight through muffler, and tune it peaked at 6500. Don't get me wrong-the 500 rpm over the peak is a nice buffer before you bounce off the limiter, but 7200-7000 isn't too big a deal. I always shift about 6500-6800 anyways.

I need to get back on the dyno with the latest tune/intake/flywheel combo, but my money is on no change after all my dyno runs.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So Lotus just disabled the redline RPM bump that used to be enabled in sport mode so it is the same now whether sport mode is disabled or not?

If this is the case it should only affect manual cars as iirc IPS cars had a static redline regardless of sport mode.
Mine is an S IPS. Anyways I have trust issues, so I took the liberty to email Lotus themselves in the UK and they JUST replied telling me that, no, the engine cut-off remains at 7200 RPM however there are what they called 'soft' limiters which the ECU may impose on the car maybe because the engine has not reached 70 degrees Celsius and above, as well as other factors which they didn't specify. I don't think I have a temperature issue, I live in the Mediterranean and we had no winter this year, 3/4 of what was supposed to be a freezing winter temperature outside was 20-24 degrees (sorry to all the guys who have their Evoras locked up due to snow, seems the blizzard went to North America :p). So my conclusion is either theres external factors at play and the car is completely fine or theres a problem with the ECU and/or tachometer. Gona make sure to print that email while I'm at it, so the mechanic dosnt give me no lazy excuse.

And yes the 200-400 RPM difference not a big deal, but still, nice to have nonetheless. Mine kinda redlines like in this vid (which gives me a degree of comfort somewhat):

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
have you checked the actual RPM values via OBDII compared to what the tach is showing? I only ask because I'm doing that today, I've noticed my tach is indicating an 1100 RPM idle when usually its about 880 with my tune, and it doesn't sound like it is idling high. May be a tach reading thing that just requires a reset.

I agree with you though, it is worth squaring away just for peace of mind

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
have you checked the actual RPM values via OBDII compared to what the tach is showing? I only ask because I'm doing that today, I've noticed my tach is indicating an 1100 RPM idle when usually its about 880 with my tune, and it doesn't sound like it is idling high. May be a tach reading thing that just requires a reset.

I agree with you though, it is worth squaring away just for peace of mind
Question, how do you reset the tach, through the OBDII scanner?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
So you guys suggest getting Lotus to replace the tachometer as a fix to this issue? Furthermore is it a recurring issue?

No, that is not what I am suggesting. Afrter they replaced mine, it was still the same. The limiter would cut to power off at around 6900-7000 RPM's on the tachometer. Keep in mind the ECU dup showed that I was getting up around 7200 RPM's. So it looks like the tachometer is not accurate. My car that was built in June 2010(as a 2011) has not ever had the ECU updated.
Ron:crazyeyes

·
Registered
857 Posts
Mine is an S IPS. Anyways I have trust issues, so I took the liberty to email Lotus themselves in the UK and they JUST replied telling me that, no, the engine cut-off remains at 7200 RPM however there are what they called 'soft' limiters which the ECU may impose on the car maybe because the engine has not reached 70 degrees Celsius and above, as well as other factors which they didn't specify. I don't think I have a temperature issue, I live in the Mediterranean and we had no winter this year, 3/4 of what was supposed to be a freezing winter temperature outside was 20-24 degrees (sorry to all the guys who have their Evoras locked up due to snow, seems the blizzard went to North America :p). So my conclusion is either theres external factors at play and the car is completely fine or theres a problem with the ECU and/or tachometer. Gona make sure to print that email while I'm at it, so the mechanic dosnt give me no lazy excuse.

And yes the 200-400 RPM difference not a big deal, but still, nice to have nonetheless. Mine kinda redlines like in this vid (which gives me a degree of comfort somewhat):

Lotus Evora S IPS 0-295 km/h & LOUD REVS MY 2012 Top Speed Test sport auto - YouTube
Multiple sources state that the IPS cars do not get the sport mode rpm bump. I cannot vouch for your individual car however so perhaps yours does.

2GR-FE Gearboxes - TechWiki

Lotus Evora IPS

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Question, how do you reset the tach, through the OBDII scanner?
IIRC someone on here with an Evora was able to do it following the same procedure as the Elise/Exige (door open, ignition blah blah) I can't remember the process off the top of my head specifically.

I was changing some settings on my shift-I this morning and double checked my tach with torque. It is reading within about 100 RPM of the actual engine RPMs, though this was at idle to 3k or so, so maybe the error gets larger the higher they go.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts