The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would start a new thread regarding ECU tuning.

Where is the ECU on the Elise?

Has anyone looking into tuning?

Does anyone know if there are anyh chips for the 111R?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the only photo I have handy.

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
reganfin said:
Thought I would start a new thread regarding ECU tuning.

Where is the ECU on the Elise?
Has anyone looking into tuning?
Does anyone know if there are anyh chips for the 111R?
The ECU is exactly at your back :):

I think the 111R follows under the same umbrella of any Japanese-equipped engine.

Possibly you won't be able to chip it, but instead you "could use (haven't checked it personally though!) the APEXi stuff.

Maybe Arno could help us here! His feedback is always very valuable!!! D

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
The 111R ECU is an EFi-technologies unit that has been OEM'ed for Lotus. It is *not* the Denso ECU used by Toyota.

'Chipping' it won't be easy as it's not a high volume production ECU, so not much people are working on 'cracking' it. (same goes for the ECU used in the Rover powered S2's, which is a similar ECU and not the Rover MEMS)

Not to mention that 'chipping' an ECU on a normally aspirated engine without any other work (eg. cams, head, etc.) usually brings very little (if any) gains.

The ECU is made by EFi and may be based on their generic programmable engine management systems, but it has been modified for Lotus so the generic EFi programming tools probably won't work anymore.

A piggyback-ECU like the UniChip (name is not very good as it's not a 'chip') or some of the APEXi's could indeed be used and the factory ECU left alone if the engine is modified and would cause the factory mapping to be too far outside it's requirements.

Bye, Arno.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts