The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who edited a thread of mine and didn't even bother to tell me about it??

If someone attacks me and calls me unethical (that post was not edited to my knowledge) and I accuse them of not being able to spell (something that is a fact) why does my post get edited???

WTF??

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Sorry. meat. I did. That one sentence was only going to escalate things and really did not add to the discussion.

Calling out someone on their spelling was not going to help.

IMO, he misinterpreted what you earlier said. I posted to that affect. I would think he would see that and realize you were not advocating anything illegal. He over reacted. Your post also saying that is spot on. And we move forward.

I should have said something to you, but I was rushing through.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No problem - just wanted an explanation.

Thanks for admin'ing the forum - I know it's alot of work.

:D

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Cool meat.

It is going to only get busier. :)

One forum is not so bad... but try about 10 of them. :eek: I must admit though, I spend a lot less time lately on some of them and more time here. One of these days I should actually get some real work done. :)

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Too many.

One for a music group that is big in Europe, specially Holland and Germany. I have a whole section of that forum in Dutch.

One for the SCCA region.

One for my hometown.

One for a motorsports club.

One for an e-commerce engineering business I run.

By far the busiest I admin (with 2 others) is this one-
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/
It has over 35,000 members and around 2million posts.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
One is a real business, a corporation.

http://www.pcbstandards.com/ We sell products there and it makes a little bit of money.

The DVDtalk one is a money making entity, but I only admin it, it is not mine. I get free DVDs. :) I admin it just to help. The bandwidth it uses costs quite a bit, so the advertising is not making a lot of money.

I also help the MR2 forum.

My music one is because I believe in the band. Even with Sony backing them, they needed a forum. All they had was a yahoo mailing list, and I dislike yahoo.

The SCCA one was started because they were hosted by someone else and using a really bad software for a forum. I personally dislike threaded forums that drop down over time. The ones where you post to an old thread and nobody will ever see it. So I started a new one. And it took over the official one.

The main reason I do this is because I feel like I am contributing to something I am a part of. The sense of community. For example, with cars, it really adds to the ownership of the car to be involved in the community. To have a place to go for help and advice. To be able to share. To arrange meets and events. To create group buys and discounts with vendors. When I started Elisetalk, nobody had a USA centered Elise forum.

There are some other people that start car forums in order to make money by selling advertising. You can see various forums like that. Some accept some advertising to help defray costs. Some have a lot of advertsing or expensive advertising. Not saying that is wrong, but that might be the motivation in starting a forum. It is not mine.

Since I started this forum many months ago, there have been some changes. Lotus USA created their own forum, or at least one person did. That was a surprise. Most car companies do not want the headaches of running their own forum. Since they are linked from the official site, they get a lot of new people signing up. I wonder how long they will stay around. Some other people have started forums, some probably thinking they were first. Some have already gone. Some are still there, but hardly anyone posts to them. I see new ones springing up.

Creating a new forum is not easy. You have to develop momentum. Sustain growth. Just like growing a club or business. It takes a lot of attention, specially early on. Later on, when it is busy, it requires less attention from me, but more from the moderators.

I have been asked by 3 different people in the last few weeks if I will accept ads. I do not want any more ads than the one banner at the top, which is now tirerack. I can rotate the banners though. But I do not want banners and ads to intrude on the community.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I understand the headaches. I co-founded the S2000 Club of America and it's website (www.s2kca.com). I was around when www.s2ki.com was created. This is a site that is there to make money - and the admin there is a #^$%@*.

You just have bigger and more headaches!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts