The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm SO confused...
On the video of the launching of the new Evora, they call the car ee-VOR'-uh. I looked on the Miriam-Webster site for Evora and it is a city in central Portugal. They have also have an audio pronunciation of the word and it is Ever'-uh. Ultimately, it's Lotus' car and they can call it and pronounce it any way they want...just an interesting observation.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I'm SO confused...
On the video of the launching of the new Evora, they call the car ee-VOR'-uh. I looked on the Miriam-Webster site for Evora and it is a city in central Portugal. They have also have an audio pronunciation of the word and it is Ever'-uh. Thoughts?
ee-VOR-uh. VOR rhymes with "roar" if you like the new Evora or "snore" if you don't.

Tom

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
EEEEEEEEE---VVAAAAAAA

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
It's the accent - American English vs. the British "Continental influence" accent. Americans use a stronger English pronunciation of things vs. the British using more of the Latin language influenced pronunciation. Lotus also tends to use the native pronunciation of things, as with Exige which is French. I thought it was ex-ige until I heard some that knew how to pronounce it say it.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,639 Posts
Eh-vor-uh, not ee-vor-ah

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Eh-vor-uh, not ee-vor-ah
That's true-if you speak Spanish or Portugese, the "e" is always pronounced like a long "a," and if a Spanish or Portugese word ends in a vowel, an "n" or an "s," the accent is usually on the second to last syllable. But I say we defer to the Lotus guy in the BBC vid and we all pronounce it in a clipped British accent!

BBC NEWS | Business | Lotus unveils the new Evora

Tom

·
Registered
582 Posts
ae-vora

Thats what I'm calling it anyway.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
It's the accent - American English vs. the British "Continental influence" accent. Americans use a stronger English pronunciation of things vs. the British using more of the Latin language influenced pronunciation. Lotus also tends to use the native pronunciation of things, as with Exige which is French. I thought it was ex-ige until I heard some that knew how to pronounce it say it.
Wait...what's the proper pronunciation of Exige then? Ex-eg (short E and long e...correct??).

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Wait...what's the proper pronunciation of Exige then? Ex-eg (short E and long e...correct??).
Exige is a french word...

Evora is NOT a town in Portugal(really its a made up name they can pronounce however they like)

Évora is a town in Portugal (pronounced Ever'-uh apparently)

·
Registered
494 Posts
I would expect those who speak English to call it the EVER-ah, and those of us in the colonies (especially the southwest) to call it the eh-VOR-ah

Steve

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Evora is a made up word, a combination of Evolution and Aura, they can pronounce it however they want, the Lamborghini Gallardo is a great example of pronunciation dictated by the country/company of orign , Gallardo is a Spanish word for Gallant (and I believe a breed of bull ) and in Spanish is pronounced with the L s as Y s = Guyardo, but in Italian 2 L's = pronouncing both L s GaL Lardo like FeR Rari , and in the US it is almost always called the Guh lard Oh

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I would expect those who speak English to call it the EVER-ah, and those of us in the colonies (especially the southwest) to call it the eh-VOR-ah

Steve
In the South East US it will be the EEEEEE Vooor uhhh ala, and in Italy it would be the ay vor aaah, all in all I think it is a very pretty and elegant name and fits the car , I am sure people were like wtf? with Elise, and what about Eclat,it is is a bit ??? for most people who don't speak French. Ethos would have been cool too but since Lotus trade marked that name I bet they have something cool in the works, maybe that 4x4 off road concept vehicle?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts