The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone aware of a rough production split between Base, Metallic, and Lifestyle colored cars? If vehicles are being sequenced by color batching, is Lotus disproportionately favoring the more expensive paints to increase revenue?

I'm asking because I ordered a "Lifestyle" color with touring package. Since I'm not affected by the sport package delay, I was wondering if I might expect production of my car to be expedited.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
I doubt any of us who post here could give you an honest answer.

Of course we can provide you with plenty of wild speculation! :D ;)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
shinoo said:
I doubt any of us who post here could give you an honest answer.

Perhaps someone that visited the factory recently (I seem to recall 2 or 3 of you that have done so) might have a guestimate based on what they saw on the line.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
My understanding of the Lifestyle colors is that the clear coat has a metallic flake in it.

None of the Fed cars I saw in May were in the lifestyle colors. At least not CO or KG, harder to say with the dark grey colors. I did see a few Exiges in CO, and a single 111s in KG.

These are a very small portion of the total number of cars and colors. I can't imagine it really effects production order by more than a day or two.

Keep in mind, I only saw cars in the 80-90 range of Fed production numbers, so that's really not very telling in the big picture.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Also, remember one of the cars seen on I-95 heading to Brunswick (accurate info I might add). Was star midnight black which is a metallic.

Chris

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
munkleby said:
Is anyone aware of a rough production split between Base, Metallic, and Lifestyle colored cars?
Shinoo, why is so hard give an honest answer to this question?

I cab honestly tell you the answer is YES.
And they work for Lotus UK.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
munkleby said:
If vehicles are being sequenced by color batching, is Lotus disproportionately favoring the more expensive paints to increase revenue?
No.

The production line has been affected only by certain colors being batched together for efficiency. The difference in revenue because of a paint option is very small, the metallics cost Lotus more to apply.

Everything I have heard from Lotus says that the only impact is moving some build orders around for color batching, or that some LSS cars were delayed in the build.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I am off to Hethel on Sunday (track driving and factory tour). I will be sure to make a mental note of what colour US cars I see in build. :)

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
My car, which is Lazer Blue, was delayed to a July Build so it could be batched with 2 other cars the same color. So although I was customer #1 at Princeton, My car was delayed nearly 3 months because of color. You need to balance my situation with the fact that I'm getting a color which is not even on the color charts and will most likely be the rarest. No need to rush Lazer Blue cars into production. Besides, Lotus really didn't want to paint my car Lazer Blue. They tried everything they could to convince me otherwise. It was only when I said I'd send my car to the motorsport division to get my color that they finally let me have my wish. I have to add that the guys at LCU were great with everything and I have no problem waiting an extra month for the car I really wanted.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I was at Lotus last week and got a 2 1/2 hour tour there were maybe 40 finished cars and all the colors were represented. LSS cars are in full production. At least for Chrome Orange the metallic is in the clear coat not the base. There are now at full production and Louts figures they will be caught up in September. They are not batching colors, as I was told whe I ask about the painting "robots, "we don't have painting robots we have painting Roberts. There are lots of things to tell about my tour, I will write them up in ReMarque and the Club 111 newsletters.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My expereince is that the lifestyle colours have a longer delivery timeframe when ordered in the UK.

I ordered a 111R in Krpyton Green at the end of May and the delivery is expected for 1st Sept. At the time of order I could have had a Starlight Black, Ardent/Bordeaux Red, Magnetic/Lazer Blue by the end of July/early August. The dealer tried to get one of the cars waiting to tbe built (not a customer order but a dealer order) changed to Krypton Green but the factory would not entertain this. In fact, it was clearly stated that any lifesytle order would go to the back of the queue. Which effectivley meant that dealers have unsold cars due for delivery to them while customers are waiting for their orders to progress.

On top of that, my car will be the last 111R in Krpton Green. The dealer informed me that all lifestyle colours have been removed as an option for the 111R - I think they want to the keep these colours exclusive to the Exige (in the UK/Europe I asssume....) I was told that my order required 8 signatures (overkill if you ask me) for the order to progress and that they were only continuing with the original order as I had paid the deposit...

When I visited the factory prior to my order there was no evidence colour batching. I'll be there again next week to sign the chassis prior to build so might be able to give you an update on cars waiting to be shipped to you guys.

Milan

·
Registered
591 Posts
I think color may affect when a car is built. I am getting Aubergine and LSS and I am looking at a September build date. I am in the first batch of orders (1-10).

There may be other issues I am not aware of that could be affecting the build date, but I suspect that Aubergine is part of the issue. They may not batch cars for painting, but they may have a minimum size of paint order and don't want paint sitting around getting old. So they wait until they have several orders to justify ordering the paint. Had I known that color would affect build date, I might have ordered a different color.

I know on Corvettes that they often have allocation % on some colors, because of a longer paint process. The same may be true of Lotus.

Greg

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
shinoo said:

That would be the house specialty, right? :D

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Robert Puertas said:
My understanding of the Lifestyle colors is that the clear coat has a metallic flake in it.
In the very top coat of clear or do they apply a clean layer of clear at the end? The reason I asks is that if you tried to remove swirls on your paint, you would also be removing metallic bits! That is my speculation anyway.

Lotus could potentially offer custom colors later on for an even higher price than $1200.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts