The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
It's the same as the OEM splitter, minus the license plate mount in the center. It's a little bit better than the OEM splitter because more air can push down in the center of the splitter because the license plate mount is absent. It's lighter too, but not by much.

So expect slightly better than OEM performance.

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, but is it a true splitter? Does it really spit the air by forcing it under and around the body? The leading edge is blunt so I'm skeptical.

I was thinking of tacking on a flat piece of CF under the oem spoiler/splitter.
What do you think? worth it?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
The way splitter works isn't really about forcing air underneath it, but more like preventing the high pressure area at the front from tucking under.

Although the look of the stock splitter is probably style-driven rather than function-driven, I'm not too worried about the bluntness.
You could probably increase the effectiveness by increasing the length of the splitter by affixing flat sheet underneath it like you said, though.

It doesn't have to be made out CF, you could probably get away with plywood.
Or Rosewood...

Le Mans 24 Hours technical report (LMP) | Racecar Engineering
Or Tegris.. Tegris Thermoplastic Composites | Stiffness

I found Racecar-Engineering article on Air Dams, Splitters, Front Diffusers. You might find it interesting. :)
Aerobytes with Simon McBeath

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
.. and given than the Exige actually generates 100 lbs of net downforce (at 100mph), you being all over the lane probably wasn't about combating lift but external factor... like... high wind..

-------
I just re-read your post, and it was more of a question on Sector 111 product rather than stock splitter being effective or not.
I think they are similar-looking stock replacement part that I'd imagine work more or less like the stock part. :shrug:
Which means it will still generate more or less 42.25 lbs of downforce at the front.

·
2006 Exige
1,050 Posts
Does the front generate ~50lbs and rear ~50lbs as well at 80mph?

I thought it was 50F/100R at 80mph.

-Robert
According to Lotus, the stock Exige is 48.18 lbs at the rear and 42.26 lbs of downforce at the front at 100mph.

The SportAuto wind tunnel test had a little bit different results:
5kg / 24 kg downforce in front and rear at 200 km/h

They don't use a rolling floor wind tunnel, so that could account for the difference. I don't know if Lotus does...

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The numbers you cited seem nominal compared to say the Mclaren P1 that generates some 800lbs on the rear wing at 100mph>>:shrug:n (as I recall)

Maybe I'll remove the wing for street and replace on the track considering it
doesn't provide much downforce. I'd like to experience an Exige without the wing...it may be cool?

-Robert

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice thread AZ.

I'm surprised about the Porsche GT3 and GT3RS considering
Germany has the fasted freeways in the world.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts